1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The Steve Nash comparisons are pointless.

Nash shot 42/46/36% from the field in his first 3 seasons. He didn't average double figures points until he was 26.

These two players had and will have very different career arcs.

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He already peaked.

3. luden

luden Member

:rolleyes: so there's nooooo way a newly turned 24 year old can improve his game or become more efficient? I'm sure that's how you feel about all other 24 year old basketball players too.

4. jocar

jocar Member

Under youtube video, click "share", click "embed", copy and paste into the CF reply box

5. jocar

jocar Member

oops whatever starts with... "iframe width......."

6. jocar

jocar Member

copy and paste whatever starts with "iframe width"

7. kastuul

kastuul Member

8. formido

formido Member

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/08/31/multi-camera-tracking-technology/

"That second report measured potential assists by tracking every shot, make or miss, that would have led to an assist under NBA standards. It then divided those assists by shot locations, so that we can see which point guards tend to produce which type of open attempts: shots at the rim, long twos, three-pointers, etc. The idea is to isolate point guards who create a lot of the “best” shots, namely layups and threes, and not long two-pointers — in theory, the worst shot in the game.

Now team context is obviously a huge factor here. A whopping 43 percent of Rajon Rondo’s potential assists led to long twos, the highest number in the sample, but that’s not an indictment of Rondo’s creativity. Any team starting two jump-shooting power forwards (Brandon Bass and Kevin Garnett) will rely to a borderline unhealthy degree on long twos.

But Denver’s numbers here are still jarring. Andre Miller and Lawson ranked among the half-dozen “best” point guards in the league by this standard, with 67 percent of Miller’s potential assists and 56 percent of Lawson’s leading either to threes or shots at the rim. Only Jeremy Lin (68 percent) had a higher percentage of potential assists fall in those areas, a fact I suspect Houston’s geeky brain trust is already aware of."

9. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Anyone else having trouble reading this thread?

12. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

....okay something wrong

13. manning

manning Member

actually,he just played 29 games of 82 in the golden state warriors- 23 games in the D-League and 30 games on the bench.
    Before the outbreak of the "Linsanity" ,he just played 10 games of 23- 2 games in the D-League and 11 games on the bench.
    i think he has a huge upside. he's got more experience and more time to practice with teammates.

14. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Here's a well made video by CCYAA about Linsanity in Toronto...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JcBsD9CeRoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

See as Lin's name hasn't come out yet in the ESPN player rankings, and their up to 180 or so now, he is better than average already ;)

16. Drew^0^

Drew^0^ Member

I read from somewhere that Lin was ranked 58 in the top 100 NBA players 2011-2012. If you watched all his games, you will know he is not just above average. He is still the NBA record keeper for the highest score for a player's first 5 starting games.

He has great potential to grow to be an elite player, because his bball talents and IQ. I am talking about IQ that no one can conquer it. A fact is during his Harvard years, he developed as a good bball player, good video gamer, and a good student. People who can do these things in Harvard is considered as genius, which explains Linsanity. Look forward to the new season.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

One of the Knicks fans put this up on another site. I thought I share this with you:
    That FTA/36 is really really impressive. FTA/36 is a good indication on a player's ability to score. If he can sustain this, Morey pulled off the biggest robbery in NYC.

36 days and counting...............

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

Anyway. I read this article on twitter. Pretty much Lin is up there with some good company. What I took away from this is that Lin is more of a traditional/facilitating pg, or at least he has the talent to become one. I think because he scored the basketball so well that people viewed him as a scoring pg. But if u want to suss out who adheres most closesly to the traditional PG role, potential assists is the best stat to look at. And Lin was very good at facilitating the offense to ensure high percentage shots for his teammates. Hopefully he can bring that skill set to Houston.

http://www.stats.com/download/NBA_ITN_PotentialAssistLocations.pdf

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Felton, the guy who replaced Lin at the Knicks, is ranked 173.

20. King Boo

King Boo Member

That ESPN ranking is such BS. Grading a player from 0-10 is so arbitrary and I highly doubt the credibility of the 104 so-called experts. Case in point, Jason Kidd was ranked 49 last year despite averaging only 6.2 points on 36.3% shooting.