1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rolling Stone: The Federal Bailout that Save Mitt Romney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...that-saved-mitt-romney-20120829#ixzz24ywhV8Mi

Seems to me that some hay will be made out of this story.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

To be fair, i dont think the average American is financially literate enough to understand that article.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Course not. Nor would anybody appreciate the irony of Mitt whose fortune is entirely due to debt and super low taxes and various loopholes running a campaign based on the evils of debt and how taxes are too high and how loopholes need to be closed. Though to be fair that's merely one of about a zillion contradictory things about Mitt and his various identities (health care,social issues,etc)

That's why the Obama campaign uses the simpler message of "he's a big rich jerk who doesn't care about you" instead as a proxy for these more complex arguments. Time will tell if it works.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yikes, thats just embarrassing.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whenever I think of republicans I think of Bob McNair. Public/Private partnership - The public pays the private profits.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Does that guy know how the FDIC works. The only reason it works is because it has the full faith and guarantee of the US government behind otherwise it couldn't exist as insurance company. Its reserved are just too small for the amount of exposure it has.

9. TL

TL Contributing Member

So, a bunch of banks made a bad loan to pay the old owners a fat dividend / cash them out. Once the old partners left, Bain didn't perform as forecasted.

Romney took it over, got cash back from the old partners and had it injected into Bain. He then put in retention programs in place to keep the new parters around, basically guaranteeing them a bonus if the firm failed so they didn't feel the need to go get a new job. Keeping them around helped make sure they maintained a revenue pipeline. Then he gave the banks a 66ish cent recovery on a loan to a failed business services company.

And then he went back to his old job.

I don't see what he did wrong...maybe I'm just too tired to see it, but it sounds like he made the best of a bad situation.

Edit: the only real problem to me is how much money Romney made in the original dividend transaction as an old partner. I wonder what that number was

#9 TL, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Socialize the costs, privatize the profits. It's been the American way for a long time now, and we're all paying for it.