1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane said we could have a new uniform and logo.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houston#1, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Do we need to change our uniform and logo?

1. Yes, we need a fresh start.

203 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. No, our current uniform and logo still look great.

76 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly hope they look "good," but my enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that I'm pretty sure Les Alexander thought the Blue PJ's also looked good.

Here's to hoping that the fans are very happy with the new unis!

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There is absolutely, postively nothing controversial about these uniforms. As straight forward as you can get.

4. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

This would be an instant classic and it fits the AL look too

5. msn

msn Member

*&$*#$&* the AL. and Selig, too.

The uni looks nice, though.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

By "nothing controversial" do you mean they are nice and clean? Or just boring?

In your opinion, of course.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So... Take this for what it is worth. I work with a 60+ yo woman who has season tickets for Astros since eighties. Her sister works in merchandise sales and was selected to be in the focus group who helped the brass pick out the new jerseys and color scheme. Her sister under death threats(not really), told her what the jersey and colors would be. I begged her all week at work to know what it was but she wouldn't budge but told me I would like it. We shall see. This lady goes to spring training every year and knows a lot of the players as their Astros mom so I believe her. She also knows I am a big fan of Daryle Ward and got me a pair of his game worn pants with his name and everything inside. Well anyways, not really a cool story but just eagerly awaiting anything besides the color brick!

8. tigereye

tigereye Member

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm great with plain...blue and orange...clean...no pinstripes. Love it.

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

Does sound a bit plain, but we will see. A modernized "H" will probably look pretty snazzy, kind of like how Texas went from their old cap to their new one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too bad they couldn't find a way to keep the open star look, but oh well. Everything I have read makes it seem this will certainly be a safe look, so I'm optimistic.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A stripped down version of the original unis minus the shooting star? Those jerseys had nothing but text and maybe a sleeve logo. How much more stripped down can you get than a plain white jersey with "Astros" on it?

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

13. tigereye

tigereye Member

That's the part that bothers me and I don't like it at all. Sure there can be beauty in simplicity. But that what made the original home jersey so beautiful.

Why would strip THIS down?

[​IMG]

14. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

so when MLB says after the season.. do they mean after houston season is over or after the world series? i'm ready to buy the new hat and stuff NOW!

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

ehhhh. I loved everything about what we did in 2000. Loved the ballpark theme and all the quirks.

Absolutely love the uniforms we have now. Sand and brick are a great combo and the pinstripes are a very classic look and a great nod to baseball history. They also represent the most successful part in astros history. Playoffs 3 times and the first 3 series wins. Obviously the first world series.

It was an attempt to establish a new identity. Going "classic" feels like a step backwards. The obsession with the past being so nostalgic. Just seems like a failure. We may have had the worst seasons with these uniforms but anyone who remembers those years instead 01,04 and 05 is just crazy and jaded.

IT also seems odd to me that we go back to our original NL uniforms when starting in the AL. I don't know why we don't want to create something new if we need to change.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think a ton of folks still feel that 1986 was the most memorable season we've had. It was a magical type season and there's nothing crazy about feeling that way.

17. Brando2101

I guess it's generational. I was 5 months old at the time.

18. SupermoochieFro

ALSO, represent the 2 worst seasons in franchise history. I've personally always loved the blue/orange combo and am extremely glad it's getting back to that. The current unis are all about Drayton Mclane and I'd rather forget him for the most part!

19. Brando2101

I really don't see the Drayton hate. He paid Biggio when everyone thought he was going to the Rockies. He paid for Jeff Kent, paid Bags, tried to pay Beltran, paid petite, paid clemens. He also paid a **** load for Carlos Lee because he was told it was a good move.

He made ballsy moves like picking up Randy Johnson because he wanted to win and Beltran which got really close to working out. He oversaw the most successful period in Astros history. In that 9 year span, only the Yankees and Braves made the playoffs more than the Astros. They also only missed the division championship in in 06 by 1.5 games,

He ****ed up majorly with Jerry H. I don't blame him for hiring Tim P. It seemed like a logical choice. Not keeping Nolan Ryan was unfortunate but at that point he didn't have a reason to fire Tal Smith as President of the team.

Tim P and Ed Wade were bad GMs and put the Astros in this position.

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Drayton spent money like a formerly rich housewife in credit card debt denial. Yes, he used to have a ton of money and seemed to be able to do no wrong when he would throw it around. But times are different now. Sure, he went out and bought a couple of overpriced fancy dresses to give off the impression that everything is okay, maybe even a car he couldn't afford, but he really needed to do is start paying some debt collectors and focusing on what is important before everything hit the fan. Now his house is foreclosed, his spouse is filing for divorce, and he's gonna need to take a job at that sleazy strip club down the street.

If Drayton had allowed his GMs to focus on scouting and the draft instead of overpaying for past-their-prime veterans, we could have already turned this ship around. Instead, Drayton was too proud to admit that something was wrong and wanted to put band-aids on the situation by spending in all the wrong places. But hey, at least nobody can call him cheap!

He had a good run, but he also oversaw a period in the organization where pretty much everyone could tell something was going terribly wrong except for him. He deserves all the credit in the world for the late 90's, mid 00's teams, but he also deserves the blame for the current state of the franchise.