1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros fire Brad Mills

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 18, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

UPDATE: OKC manager Tony DeFrancesco named interim manager; Ty Van Burkleo interim hitting coach; Dan Radison interim 1st base coach.

[rquoter]On pace for the worst season in franchise history, The Astros have fired manager Brad Mills as well as hitting coach Mike Barnett and first base coach Bobby Meacham.

The Astros will announce Mills’ replacement Sunday morning in a news conference at 10 a.m. and had no comment Saturday night.

The dismissal of Mills was made just short pf three years of his tenure that ended with a 171-274 record. With losses the last two nights to the Diamondbacks, Mills was on the losing end of 59 of his last 76 games.

Through the struggles, he was as optimistic a public face as could be for the Astros’ rebuilding.

“I tried to do the best job I could,” Mills said in a brief conversation Saturday night.

Mills was hired before the 2010 season after serving six years and winning two World Series as Boston’s bench coach. He hopes to stay in baseball beyond this season, which was the last guaranteed year on his contract.

“It’s what I do,” Mills said. “I’ve been here for 33 years, it’s what I do.”

Since Larry Dierker, each of the last four Astros managers has been fired mid-season – Jimy Williams, Phil Garner, Cecil Cooper and now Mills.[/rquoter]

#1 J.R., Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

It's a revolution

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Ha! When I saw the score tonight I knew it couldn't be much longer.

4. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

about time

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, the wheel has spun completely around. Cleaned up house.....new colors, new theme, new players....new coaching staff.....new league.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
    [rquoter]Brad Mills on Barnett and Meacham losing their jobs as well: "I feel horrendous. I'm sick about it."

Brad Mills after being fired by Astros "I just wish the best for the players, for the organization."

Brad Mills: "I take responsibility for what we've gone through as well. I'm not going to sit here and push it off on anybody else."

Brad Mills after firing: "I appreciate our fans, I appreciate the players and I wish the best for this organization."[/rquoter]

Zachary Levine ‏@zacharylevine
    [rquoter]Brad Mills: "I tried to do the best job I could."[/rquoter]

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A few weeks ago I said I didn't see the point in firing him before the end of the season, but now I think it's the right move. I think maybe he's done thing that could hinder the development of the few players who might contribute in the future. On a team where winning doesn't really matter anymore, you can't do that.

8. Rock It

Rock It Member

What do expect from the man turn out allstars when all you had was sub par over paid players ur old gm and owner traded away ur only decent talent left with a bunch of young rookies. good luck where ever you go maybe the next skipper can do some magic and help this club.

1 person likes this.
  9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The timing seems odd to me. Not because it was towards the end of the season and making a change might really help the team (I'm surprised he made it this long), but because it came in the middle of a series and late on a Saturday evening. it seems like there may be more to it (but maybe not). As they could have just made an announcement after the early game tomorrow and an off day on Monday.

10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

There is nothing really to be gained by doing it now...but maybe they want to "audition" a particular "interim manager".

Certainly Mills can't be blamed for not winning much with this kind of dearth of talent...but he definitely doesn't have them overachieving either.

11. msn

msn Member

Can't make a case to defend his performance, but he sure handled this whole fiasco with class. Best of luck to you Millsy, except when you face the Astros.

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I read somewhere that Luhnow made a comment last week about Wallace playing every day. Wallace was then promptly held out of 3 games. I know it is one of the things we have been complaining about, but I find it hard to believe that they would either not tell Mills to play him or that Mills would hold him out against their wishes. It would speak to the somewhat abruptness of the firing.

13. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I don't care how well Pearce, Downs or Moore were hitting or whether the opposing pitcher was left or right handed or throws with his feet, there is no reason for Brett Wallace to be out of that line up. He's one of the top three hitters on this team. I remember Luhnow's comment a couple weeks ago about playing the hot hand. Mills obviously didn't get it. This team is bad, but I feel like Mills' poor decisions is what turned this team into a historically bad team.

14. ThaShark316_28

Something wrong...I hold my head...Millsy fired, our skipper dead!!! [​IMG]

15. ThaShark316_28

It had to be done. I think it was either going to be tonight, or Monday (off-day), based on how most of these firings in baseball go.

This could have happened if the team were contending and they had fallen off a bit. New GMs who don't have their hand picked guy at manager love to set the current skipper ablaze.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Not sure what to think of this, or why he was fired. I mean, it's not like this team was trying to win or be competitive, it's basically a good Triple-A roster, full of young players and prospects. So to the people saying "About time", can you explain why, because (to me at least) its not about the losses.

17. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I don't think the decision was based on winning. This was going to be a losing team anyways. Its based on his poor managing decisions: Brett Wallace playing time, mismanaging Brett Meyers and Wilton Lopez, burning up 5 relievers to get through two innings, batting Altuve in the eight hole, not letting our starting pitchers pitch past the 5th inning if they have a batter on first... The list goes on.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Put some feelers out and see if Drayton McLane is tired of sipping daiquiris yet. He'd make a great manager. He always knew more than all the baseball people around him when he was owner. Surely the same would hold true in this role. It'd be great. Good ol' Uncle D... back with the Stros... this time, in the trenches leading us out of this mess that was obviously created by those know-nothings who came after him.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Good move. I know it's a tad harder to play on the road for any sport but their road record this year is pathetic. He must have no control of the team....

Also while the team is in full blown rebuilding mode this shows the franchise still has some expectations...

But obviously the guy never had a shot here he definitely won't ever manage again but I hope he lands on his feat somewhere...

20. Buck Turgidson

Yep, classy guy who got stuck in a literal no-win situation. Would be neat to see him manage an a actual professional team, it's impossible to tell what he would do in a competitive environment.