1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am morning show calling for Morey to get fired.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Aug 14, 2012.

1. redlawn

redlawn Member

In the end, I don't see how the Lin/Asik signings are relevant. Orlando never shipped out Hedo's contract anyway.

Also, Zach Lowe says in his article that, despite all that was offered, the Magic had to have really liked either one of Arron Affalo or Moe Harkless. Absent that, Houston's offer was likely "a hair better."

Nick is a Knicks fan? No problem. The Rockets not landing Howard is a fireable offense? That's being woefully misinformed.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's funny that people on 610 are always being criticized for being homers now you they haven't earned the right to criticize the home teams.

3. mmeltser

mmeltser Member

The point about nuance is more related to the audience than to me. I know the background of the team over the last X number of years, so I bring that knowledge into any opinion I have about a current situation.

Simply put, in most sports, having more wins means you're a better player/coach/executive. Not necessarily true in the NBA. For the Rockets, winning 18 one year might be better than winning 35. A lot of people will text/call and demand massive changes just based on not making the playoffs for 3 years (would 2 8 seeds really change the dynamic that much)? People think Daryl Morey should be fired for not landing Deron, Carmelo, Chris Paul, etc., without fully understanding the limitations that he had.

This is why analyzing an NBA team's building/rebuilding efforts is a complex thing.

4. David Stern

David Stern Member

Agreed. Your co-workers need to do a better job of convey the message over the airways.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

How does someone (Daryl Morey) make a goal (Superstar) for himself (GM); publicly strive for that goal and fail each time yet he's supposed to be a genius? I want a job like that.

We can give all the excuses for him but it's the truth. He was better off not saying anything about getting a superstar. Or at the least if he came out and said "we tried to get a superstar but couldn't so now we're rebuilding through the draft". I would respect that. I don't think he's a bad GM, I don't think he's stuipid. He's pretty smart. Maybe even a genius, but not because of his work as Rockets GM.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He bluntly said he made an offer for Howard (or Bynum) and the Magic preferred the other deal. What else do you want? Also, most NBA media "experts" felt the Rockets deal was superior.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

The only thing I'm surprised by is that they acctuly talked about the rockets :eek: weather good or bad

They need to change their name to Texans Radio 610am

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've heard that one before. Maybe the Rockets need to do a better job in figuring out what other teams really want.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

So he wasn't able to convince the Magic to take the assets he was acquiring for them? Who cares what NBA media "experts" think, they didn't have the right to trade the superstar Morey wanted. He would have walked away respectfully if he announced that the Rockets were pulling out of the DH race like the Nets did.

10. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

One of the more real statements i've heard in awhile

11. lalala902102001

Morey is definitely on the hot seat this season. If this team again finishes with the best record of non-plaoff teams he will not be here this time next year.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this is how I read your point and from what I have observed from times I have listened to sports radio. It really is a double edged sword. The format is one that is expected to be listener involved, yet most of the listeners are complete idiots who only know headline-depth sports information. Or they are people who are just trying to get noticed and will call into multiple shows on multiple stations restating a ridiculously overboard "take".

With regards to the Rockets and Morey it definitely requires more nuance to evaluate what they are trying to do - just like with the Lowry trade. That was one I was very happy about because I am all in favor of a young rebuild but I heard a decent number of people calling for Morey to get fired because of such a stupid trade.

Sorry I don't really listen to your show because I am working but I have sometimes heard it while driving to lunch...are you an SU guy? My wife was a Newhouse TRF for one of her majors there so you can't be all bad, right?

Oh - fascinating about your thoughts with regards to criticizing peripherals of the Rockets brand - Drexler - when the station carried the Rockets. Makes sense, though.

13. vince

vince Member

Josh Innes and his style of "Guy talk Radio" is not for me!!! I like to hear about sports and analysis.

I'll always remember Josh Innes blurting out "change the channel if you don't like it, we're the number 1 rated radio show"...

I've got news for 610, I did change it. And it was hard to change it because I like Barry Warner's style.

But, I'm back to 790. Because 1560 reception suck at my house, and I live inside the 610 loop.

14. David Stern

David Stern Member

Really? His superior attitude is really annoying and he knows very little about Basketball. Yes, he’s been around since before time but that doesn’t mean I needed to be reminded of that anytime someone has a differing opinion from his.

15. nono

nono Member

Maori is trending on twitter.

16. conquistador#11

whoa, there mother lover. I said the "outsiders" as in the new bunch that has infested the houston airwaves. almost all are from outside of Tx.
    Sexy vandermeer indeed is a homer and I like it that way. I want my announcers to yell things like "start the freaking clock".

Anyways, People like vandermeer can praise or criticize at will. They've earned it.

If durvasa feels that maury should do more research and find out what teams really want, I say that is valid point and respect it. If someone on Lakersnation said the same thing, i'd say F' them!

just my opinion though, i'm weird like that.

17. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

nobody wants to mention that they lost jim rome show?

i think that has a lot to do with it.

18. albuster

albuster Member

Bash 610 all you want but the truth is the Rockets still suck and will continue to do so for God knows how long. I bet 610 and other sports talk shows will be speaking better of the Rockets if they just get back to contender status.
    People have the right to bash and criticize a bad product regardless of a dictionary of excuses from worshippers of an imaginary genius and illusionist. Don't get mad at the messengers get mad at the people who have all the powers and the resources to get the Rockets back to greatness. Calling media people all kinds of names is missing the point and really barking at the wrong tree. Train your vitriol on the right people folks!

19. zzpot

zzpot Member

I see lots of comments about the show but no links to a podcast of what was said on 610 AM.????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:mad::mad:

20. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

He's getting destroyed on his, "Close to getting Dwight comment."

"I almost caught Usain Bolt"

"Morey also claims to have seen a unicorn twice."