1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am morning show calling for Morey to get fired.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I wish.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

If you do read this forum as much as you say, then you know that the other hosts on your station are woefully uninformed when it comes to the affairs of the Rockets. Facts have become a casualty in the ratings race. You mentioned that you were reprimanded in the past for casting a negative light on the Rockets, while 610 had a contract with them. Are you willing to be as honest now about your radio co-hosts and call them out as too lazy to do the research necessary to be competently informed on the subjects they bring up as topics?

So far, all you have done is defend Nick Wright who claimed SI drew a conclusion that they did not, and then ran with it in an attempt to generate ratings and draw some attention to himself.

If on-air talent is live only 20 hours a week as you say, that leaves plenty of time for self-education. Charlie Pallilo finds the time.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

[​IMG]

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Of all the guys I feel for on 610 it's Meltser because he seems like a rational guy.

He get's drowned out by the shock jocks around him constantly and I'm sure he finds them infuriating but THEY ARE HIS CO-WORKERS. He will never admit it publicly especially since he's on the bottom rung in terms of seniority and time slot allocation.

Call them out Meltz because coming here to defend them doesn't help.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what of it don't you understand?

nice use of Mr. Bean by the way.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is silly.

Les Alexander was the one who came up with the idea of increasing the Lin offer. If he wanted the cap room to eat bad contracts that badly, he would not have increased the Lin offer.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's not that hard to understand really. They wanted Howard, but weren't going to sell the farm to get him with no guarantee that he would stay.

They had a max value set and knew they needed to keep either enough cap space, or assets on hand to make another deal for a second star in order to entice Dwight to stay. I suspect they easily COULD have gotten Dwight for one season if they offered as much as they possibly could. But they couldn't keep him unless they could convince him they would be a contender in the immediate future during that year. It's pretty clear that Dwight had no interest in coming here with the roster as it currently stands, and when it is between here and the Nets or Lakers who can blame him? Superstars aren't enticed by assets, opposing GM's are. Superstars are enticed by other superstars and a chance to win now. If Houston had Kobe, Nash and Gasol and LA had Lin, Martin, Parsons and Asik, then Dwight would have rather come here. I don't think he turned down Houston because of Morey, or went to LA because of Kupchak. Who the GM is was much less of a concern than who is on the team now for stars picking new teams.

As for why the Rockets didn't start the complete rebuilding process two years ago, Les pretty clearly explained that the option was explained to him and that is not the direction he wanted to go. It is a bottom line business, but what's the point of firing Morey for not tanking if Les told him not to tank? That would be kind of like someone calling a travel agent and wanting to get from LA to NY, but they don't want to fly, and then blaming the travel agent because the alternatives don't get them there as fast as flying. Unless you think a different GM would have more success rebuilding without tanking? I haven't seen any evidence to support that idea. If Les still doesn't want to tank, then getting a new GM isn't likely to change his mind or the team's direction. IF he has decided to give tanking a chance, then Morey's draft record is solid enough to warrant giving him a shot at it.

10. David Stern

David Stern Member

Agreed. Charlie by himself is a tad stale. I'd like to say Matt Thomas and Charlie P. together in the afternoon.

My Dream 790 lineup

Lance 6-10
    Matt & Adam 10-2
    Charlie & Matt Thomas 2-6

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Reading is fundamental. At least, should be.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, why would he do that? It would be totally unprofessional.

13. David Stern

David Stern Member

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your feedback. I hope you understand why some folks here are critical of misinformed statements like what Nick pushed on the air this morning.

14. mmeltser

mmeltser Member

I would respectfully disagree with the characterization about the Texans. I got here in 2010, and that season, every day on the station was basically a war zone. A lot of hosts (including myself) called for the team to fire both Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith.

I'm guessing the part about throwing vitriol at the team doesn't apply to me specifically, because I usually defend the Rockets fairly consistently. As a general point, it doesn't really matter what station they are on; I want the team to do as well as possible. Same applies to the Astros. Anybody working in the sports media in this city wants 3 good teams, no matter the broadcasting affiliation. A rising tide, etc...

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I talked to the plants and they told me they want water not 610.

16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

So you want Morey to stay and want him to fail just to throw it in the faces of people who support Morey? Sounds pretty petty and immature and something a true rockets fan should never think.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

GATER is still hurt about the Battier trade :p

What great fans we have. He basically said he wants Morey to fail just to prove his BS points.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Meltser, here's my serious response to your post - excellent btw, thanks for coming on, fairly well thought out and reasoned.. I think BBS'ers should give you more cred for coming on here and defending your position and station.

This just speaks to reactionary journalism. Instead of doing a segment about how Zach is wrong and effectively proving how dumb SI writers are, Nick latches onto the story as truth, even caveating that it might not be.

Despite the lead in ratings, it seems that 610 has gone way overboard with bringing in hosts from out of town. There are a lot of transplants in Houston, but especially as the original AM sports radio station (effectively), it just feels like betrayal of sorts when instead of long time Houstonians, or even out of towners with an open attitude, the personalities have transitioned to out of towners effectively still following "their" teams. It doesn't play well to Houstonians. What's next, a Cowboys fan, a Lakers fan and a Yankees or Cardinals fan?

You were right to disagree, because even if it was true it doesn't contradict the fact that Houston's offer was still the best offer. If the Magic decided to not trade with Houston because they changed their mind about taking back Hedo, even though Houston's offer was still the best, than that's just irrational. Which it may very well be the case. And if so, that's more of a lesson learned for Morey than a fireable offense.

If I'm looking to buy a business and am throwing out $1 million purchase price on a business that I think might be worth a lot more in a couple of years, but could be worth a lot less in the near future, and come to find out I can bid $750k and still be ahead of everybody else, then the seller gets pissed and sells for $500k to another party... that's an irrational seller. Which can happen, but I shouldn't really plan for.

I think this is the paragraph that I find most disturbing. Many on this board have much better nuanced views of the Rockets, AND have full time jobs. Many have better nuanced views of the Rockets AND Texans AND have full time jobs. Many have better nuanced views of the Rockets AND Texans AND Astros and have full time jobs.

Having a nuanced view IS your job.

Agree entirely. I've been on the tank bandwagon since the beginning of last year. Last year was the perfect year to tank. Forget about Klay Thompson, I think a top 5 pick last year forces the Magic's hand.

But even excluding Dwight, would I be excited about a Greg Monroe/Klay Thompson led rebuilding effort? More excited sure. Enormously excited? Not sure. I'm not sure a #7 pick and a #11 pick counts as a legit tank, though?

Consider players that were apparently DM targets. Cousins went 5th in 2010. Last year's draft kind of sucked, but Valanciunas went 5th and I'd take him in a heartbeat. And that's not even a great tank.

19. conquistador#11

You can't criticize my home team that way unless you've spent eight texas summers in our city. It's just the way it is.

There is one dude, on the weekends, that truly loves the rockets. he is probably the last home grown personality on that station. So sad.
    And of course 610 is the no. 1 station...jay leno has the best night show. ;)

Also, I think it's funny how these outsiders all want to be part of the texans broadcast crew, as they go out of their way to kiss arse. Don't get me wrong, if they criticized the texans, I'd feel the same way about the outsiders.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A lot of us couldn't stand CD for a very long time. We called for Casserly's head a long time before he was fired too. Same thing with Kubiak and tbh...the jury is still out on him.