1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans and the red zone

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by swilkins, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Is our red zone issues?

1. Poor execution

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Play choice

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

After watching Saturday's game, it would still appear that this team continues struggles in the red zone. I know it's preseason, but I have seen this for quite some time.

I find it frustrating to march down the field rather easily only to kick a field goal. Granted, 3 is better than nothing, but I would prefer us to finish more dominantly.

I can't really put this on the coaches play-choice, because it would seem like it would have been adjusted already which leaves me to believe it has to do with poor execution. It is not always easy to tell how effective Schaub is on calling audibles to throw off the defense. It wouldn't appear that is the case. We are very predictable and I consider it a glaring problem that needs to be addressed.

Any thoughts?

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Schaub, Foster and Johnson literally haven't all been to the red zone together since roughly 12:30pm CST October 2, 2011. Let's pull back on the emergency brake until all of our horses are back in the stable.....

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have seen us struggle even prior to the date you have.

By the sound of your response, you appear to lean more towards that we don't have the right peices to execute the plays effectively.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yeah, Foster changes EVERYTHING when we're in the red zone. And AJ won't hurt either.

5. HR Dept

Look @ the red zone numbers fro the 2010 season.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

more like recency bias. they been struggling recently because they haven't had all of their elite players on the field at the same time. 2010 they were very close to the top.

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i think real problem is matt shaubs lack of protection. im afraid he will get hit to much and then we will have to rely on a yates to take us to the promise land /sarcasm

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm just thinking they didn't want to open the playbook up for a preseason opener. But hopefully Kubiak has added more tricks up his sleeve like the bootleg dump to the RB (infamous TD Vickers dropped).

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The red zone offense improved tremendously from 2009 to 2010 based on the addition of Foster. Foster has a nose for the end zone, which opens up boot leg opportunities.. I'm not to worried about it.

10. platypus

platypus Member

Not in my madden haha, 4th and goal in redzone = James Casey fb muddle= 6 points...... On a mire serious note I think with all of our o players healthy including Owen Daniels , we should be at about 55 to 60 percent in the redzone.

11. platypus

platypus Member

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They struggled in 2009. They were 5th in 2010. Last year, the big three played roughly a single quarter together. All year.

I… No. I think, if healthy, we’ll be perfectly OK in the red zone. I’m not worried about it all.

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This. And mainly Foster makes the difference.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

AJ, Schaub, Foster is the difference in the redzone offense. Flawed poll, flawed topic. Ban User.

15. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

red zone problems? James Casey at QB should do the trick! Tebow 2.0

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Ben Tate is not a good RB in the red zone, see the game vs New Orleans.
    but if you watch other games, Foster was good in the red zone, and if you have the big three even better.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the more interesting stat would be how they compare to other teams in the RZ

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was very surprised that Tate wasn't good in red zone. Hope he works on that. Outside the red zone, he was a better rusher than Foster, but Foster is the better back due to receiving.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's not like a video game where the big guy can just truck his way in.

20. HR Dept

Foster's vision when running the ball is nearly unmatched in the NFL. He'd still be a top 3 back if he had stone hands.