1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on SportsTalk 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Aug 10, 2012.

1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

This situation reminds me of an elected official who unfairly changes laws or provides insider information to outside companies at the expense of the government and taxpayers, then just happens to land a cushy job with aforementioned company after leaving office. Well done, Alex Martens, well done.

2. Raven

Raven Member

It's official. The NBA is run by agents. Just like MLB.

3. xiki

xiki Member

I would think Owner Alexander was intimately involved all the way with DM the GM's machinations.

I have to wonder if OA did involve himself with DeVos/Martens and if not, why not? This Board gives too much credence to the GM when, at times, the check signers want to deal only among themselves.

4. deshen

deshen Member

This might be the real main reason for many "almost" events that many fans attributed to lack of "luck" for this team.

5. sammy

sammy Member

If you ever run into Josh Innes, tell him he's one annoying POS.

Edit: One thing I read that irked me.. He feels he'll have a team that will compete for a playoff spot. Wtf?!! What are we gonna do in the playoffs even if we sneak in? It seems like either he's just saying it and doesn't really believe it or he will never learn.

13th and 14th seed. Book it!

#105 sammy, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

Please tell me how you expect us to nab both seeds.

7. Arthurprescott2

Second team made up of our leftover PFs? Rockets1 and Rockets2? Hmmm... I'll think up a better name.

8. tmac

tmac Member

He can't say anything else--he may need to deal with Orlando in the future. It seems incredibly stupid on the Magic's part.

9. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

With Toronto's draft pick of course!!

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

What good would it do to anybody if he came out and said that he doesn't think the team is that great?

11. solid

solid Member

Does anyone else think that Morey's "genius" rep grinds on other GM's and agents? Putting the Bulls and the Knicks in a corner by drawing on a little known or used rule might be cute, but very likely ticked off the teams involved. He sure seems to strike out a lot when the bases are loaded. Just wondering.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well when you have a young team and you make the playoffs even if you are a8th seed, post season experience does wonders for the squad. And you never know what could happen, look at the sixers with the Bulls and how Rose was injured and the sixers advanced. They then took the celtics to 7 games I believe. I expect the sixers next year to be a much improved team because of that. If the rockets somehow manage to make the post season at least you know the young guys are getting a great learning experience even if it is a first round sweep or exit.

13. opticon

opticon Member

What surprised me the most was that Morey tried to use officiating rule changes as an excuse for Martin's lack of production when he was not injured.

That was weak sauce to me.

14. nbafever

nbafever Member

LMAO ... good one

Daryl and the FO must be laughing so hard at the ORL FO.

Between the lines--maybe what ORL wanted to do was tank and get the #1 seed next year. I hope their attendance falls and they lose money big-time.

15. nbafever

nbafever Member

I was afraid of having Howard only as a rental. Now hearing he will only be available come Jan, then all the more he will have no incentive to stay. Maybe DH did us a favor by saying repeatedly he will not re-sign with us. You know, with that guy, if something ticks him off about the LAL culture, he may still bolt and sign with the Nets which was his original target. No one can predict where his stubbornness will lead him. He was so afraid of ORL fan reaction he absolutely didn't want to play this season with the Magic.

Not Superman at all, but a sissy.

After the doctor said he was worried about Bynum's knees and the fact that at 24, he already has to go to Germany for experimental treatment on his knees just for the pain, I also didn't want Bynum.

Let's just grow our superstar from within--someone who will be loyal to the franchise.

16. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

No offense, but it's fallacy to believe that 'growing from within' will necessarily result in a loyal player. Where was Howard's loyalty to Orlando? Where was Chris Paul's loyalty to New Orleans? Where was Carmelo Anthony's loyalty to Denver? Where was LeBron's loyalty to Cleveland? Where was Chris Bosh's loya...

You get the idea.

Also, loyal players can get injuries, too, e.g. Yao.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Loyalty is an overrated concept. There is no loyalty in sports. Fans need to realize this.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Good point.:eek:

19. leebigez

leebigez Member

When morey was hired, people around the league thought les wanted to sell the team because he was hiring a non basketball guy. I don't know who call it was,but deals like this doesn't go down without the owners blessing.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I don't even want the playoffs now. I want to see these young guys play hard and hopefully develop. On top of all that, land a top 3 pick. Let's just start growing our own stars, seems to be the only way out of this.