1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DONE DEAL: Dwight Howard to Lakers, Bynum to Philly, Iggy to DEN, Garbage to ORL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we could have made the same offer after getting Asik. I don't know why we made that deal. The Lin one made sense, the Asik leaves my head scratching.

Rockets getting Howard and pairing with Lin - not going to wing rings. That much is for sure. I think Morey/Les may have finally realized it's better to move on and rebuild. Why bother with Bynam - you still will only have a mediocre team.

I am hoping Les/Morey have finally finally come to their senses and took their offer down...or Orlando just simply decided they wanted different players and pick combo's, or they panicked about losing Howard at the trade deadline.

At the end of the day, we are rebuilding now. Finally. In the long run we will be better of turning into a champ sooner than later.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Plan A - for sure. But you have to have contingencies, you have to be comfortable with your back-up plan especially when they rely on the whims of other's decisions. With that in mind Morey did pretty well.

McHale needs to be evaluated on how well he schools Asik and Dmo. Dmo and Asik need to be evaluated on what they learn and how they utilize it. The GM is evaluated on getting guys who should be above average in the league.

Our training camp and pre-season should be a war. There is competition everywhere except PG and playing time is on the line. That has to be a good thing in the NBA, it certainly is a good thing in the NFL.

#1582 Dubious, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Owners in pro sports are rarely known for patience. They don't want indications that things are improving, they want results. They want returns in the box office.

The Rockets have been floundering under Morey. That's the bottom line.

I'm not saying I personally want him fired....but he needs to produce some real results in order to convince Les that he can get the job done. Horeshoes and Handgrenades.

4. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Time to cry... another Lakers dynasty!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Trade call is done with the league office. Dwight Howard has joined the Los Angeles Lakers.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/233974068246888450" data-datetime="2012-08-10T17:12:19+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Memo to Magic: $30M in 2014 cap room might impress us if you didn't also have $30M before the trade.</p>&mdash; John Hollinger (@johnhollinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/233975237375578112" data-datetime="2012-08-10T17:16:58+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. redlawn

redlawn Member

Great post. To add to that, I think a lot of people forget that Hennigan was in between a rock and a hard place. People say that Hennigan panicked, but in reality he had no leverage at all.

On one hand, Dwight holds the cards to where he'd re-sign, and on the other hand, NBA GMs already know that Orlando has to unload Dwight because of the toxic environment. This left Hennigan with no leverage at all.

This deal quite possibly may have been the only thing Hennigan could have done.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

When do you think Les wants to see results? When do you want to see results?

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I said the same thing earlier that D12 will get his wish of playing either Nets or Lakers, but noooooo. Too man homers in this thread.

This is a superstar league, always had been and always will be. If you are labeled as a superstar, you will get you wish. Just ask LeBron, Melo, Magic, Kobe....they will tell you.

"Oh, you dont like your coach? We'll fire him tomorrow! DUI? Give me the ticket. Rape charge? No prob, our lawyers will get you off. We will even throw in50 Ipads, 20 camels, and 10 virgins if you sign the extension."

9. liveguy

liveguy Member

this.

Plus....setting himself up for failure all while setting Henny up for years of success?

Who in their right mind would do that?

trades are to be MUTUALLY beneficial.

What benefit does Morey get trading for..

1. Player that doesn't wanna play for you
    2. Huge salary dump right on his head.
    3. Lose all young talent (plus valuable picks) for player
    4. years of trying to pawn off overpaid, high salary players for anything u can get

Sounds fun, right?

But all these angry birds madder than **** that Morey is NOT an idiot!? lol

Whew.....these "fans" boy, I tell you. smh

10. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Dwight stays, all that is worth it. He's the 2nd most impactful player in the NBA.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hennigan should have waited until the trade deadline, or just let Howard go at the end of the season.

The best player in the deal was Afflalo, and he can't be the first option on the team.

Orlando's best choice would have been to tank for a few years, while trading away players for picks. Now, they're going to be stuck in mediocrity for a while, unless their pick next year is used to draft a stud.

12. thekad

thekad Member

The thing is, we're probably not rebuilding. If this team is below .500 come February, I fully expect Morey/Les to panic trade our best youngster and picks for all-star vet that won't take us anywhere but the 14th pick, again.

13. redlawn

redlawn Member

I don't either. Despite not getting Dwight, people are still genuinely interested in seeing how this team does. Stadium seats will still get filled, and people will still want to watch the Rockets.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

No guarantees makes Clutchfans sad.

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Ahhh, the Lakers. You've done it again. A team obviously on the decline and what do they do? Re-up. Just like that.

4/5 of their starting line up were in the All Star game 2 years ago.

Sickening.

Also, don't get me wrong, this isn't frustration on the fact that we didn't land Howard. I wasn't in favor of giving up the farm to rent him but the fact that it's the Lakers. So annoying.

16. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

No they will not. They wasted about 3 years not rebuilding.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Howard indicating he would sign with the Lakers totally revalued that deal against any team he indicated he wouldn't resign with.

Morey always had to figure it was 50/50 at the very best for Houston. That uncertainty lowered the value to Houston.

18. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The Hollywood story is over, you would almost think Stern planned this with his comments a few weeks back. Glad we can get back to reality and be excited all our rookies will 99% be here come training camp.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wall needs to be in a new system. It doesn't seem like Washington is a good fit for a basketball player. (see: JaVale McGee)

20. redlawn

redlawn Member

I'll take the camels. ;)