1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

DONE DEAL: Dwight Howard to Lakers, Bynum to Philly, Iggy to DEN, Garbage to ORL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Arthurprescott2

If Morey low-balled his offer to Orlando... his actions this summer are sort of indefensible. Rebuilding is ok. But if he couldn't make a major trade happen, what in the world was the point of stockpiling PFs? I just feel bad for the youngsters on this team who now face the axe.

2. passdarock

passdarock Member

I'm okay with it. Change is good.

If anything, he should be demoted or changed to assistant general manager or co-general manager with someone else but people on this board will claim he does nothing wrong.

3. redlawn

redlawn Member

I said they are FRANCHISE players. Out of the bunch, I'd admit Irving looks like he is the best, but all of them are in the 2nd tier of PG behind the superstars (DRose, Rondo, etc.)

Take it easy.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Lamb better beast it next season or Morey could be looking for a new job.

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

What makes some of yall think Les wasn't on board with Morey not offering more than what was already on the table? They constantly communicate.

"Morey, I really value the Toronto pick and love the upside of our rookies... So if the offer we have isn't enough, then we can go another route." says Les

"Yes sir" says Morey

(Orlando decides to make a trade with other teams instead)

"Morey.. You're fired!" says Les???

Common sense says that doesn't make any sense

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No one gets demoted, that just never happens, and for good reason.

McHale may get fired before the 3 year window is up (something I'm already on board with), but if Morey doesn't hit the mark by the end of year 3, he needs to go too.

7. Shirt Off

Shirt Off Member

yea, i think it's just the frustration and mounting realization that their are only a handful of teams with legit title hopes every year and the rest of the lg largely works as a farm system for those teams

if you dont get lucky with a transcendent talent like dirk, TD or KD you're relegated to just rooting against ___ winning a title because your team has no shot

8. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

This is RealGM.

9. redlawn

redlawn Member

Right now, of the 4 players, I'd rank it:

Irving
    Curry
    Lin
    Wall

I think Lin has more upside than Curry, so I think eventually Lin can be better than Curry. Like you, I think Lin is already better Wall.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We better not trade Martin for a marginal upgrade on a multi-year deal.

Were gonna offer Harden and Bynum max deals next summer. One will be matched while the other takes the extra year.. Assuming Bynum doesn't extend by then. #sigh

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Of course...Morey's plan was to NOT have all those guys. Struck out trying to get Howard pre-draft. Went 0-4 trying to get into the top 8 on draft night.

We're 4+ deep at both forward spots. Martin expects 30+ mpg in front of Lamb. You can't develop guys that can't get PT. We've yet to see a single success story sending rookies down to Rio Grande.

Overall, I like Morey. If Les backs off and lets the team plunge with a youth movement, I think we'll finally get back on track. But after ~12 high profile strikeouts, Morey's earning a serious rep as Casey at Bat.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

:(
    Morey is a great drafter....(save Morris and Dorsey)

Lamb
    Jones
    DMo
    White
    .....all will be good players in this league.

Lin is good and Asik does what he does.

The Rox situation is what ORL wishes they had and they tried their dambdest to get if from us for Dwight.

Morey smartly kept his deal as is AND said eff you to taking on salary dumps that would have really set us back for years....all for a dude that striaght up said "nope" to Houston.

Morey is not stupid.

And next year....the Rox have potentially TWO picks that will fall in the top 10.

This team is on the Rise.

Morey is going nowhere for a LONG time.

Sorry :(

13. carayip

carayip Member

What's hard to understand? Morey is unwilling to trade all the rookies/picks, not Lin etc for Bynum. It's obvious that Morey isn't high on him as a player as you and some posters here. If Morey only cares about marketing and doesn't care about winning and eventually building a championship team, he would have traded the farm for a name player like Bynum already to appease impatient audience like you. You think Bynum isn't more marketable than unknown rookies?

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Morey has drafted fine considering where we were drafting. It's not his fault that all of his mid-20 year olds were good enough to make the Rockets a plus .500 team, but no playoffs. We saw a glimpse of what Morey could do with healthy stars in the 2008-2009 season.

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I don't see how Morey is on the hot seat. He's finally got the team going in the right direction. The Rockets will only win 25-30 games next year and get a high draft pick.

4 years ago, Yao was recovering from a stress fracture and played a complete 2008-2009 season, so there's no way the Rockets should have rebuilt 4 years ago. Morey was trying to build the team around Yao and McGrady then.

If you look back at Rocket history, it's centered around 3 players,

Moses Malone -- The Rockets took a risk and won. He was not drafted but it was a risk trading for a player who had only played 2 NBA games and some ABA games.

Olajuwon -- First round draft pick that made the Rockets a great team for 15 years. Won a championship without another all star in 1994. Was the reason Drexler and Barkley wanted to play here.

Yao Ming -- First Round draft pick that put the Rockets back on the map for 6 years. Was the reason McGrady wanted to play in Houston.

The Rockets will have to hit jackpot again in the draft. That's the only way they will return to prominence. NBA players like to play in Houston if the Rockets already have a superstar player on their team, not because of the city itself.

#1575 JBIIRockets, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    2 people like this.
  16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Huh?

Woj said: "Houston would've taken bad deals"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would've taken bad deals (cont.)</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/233930056156712960" data-datetime="2012-08-10T14:17:26+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/233930282577846272" data-datetime="2012-08-10T14:18:20+00:00">August 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. redlawn

redlawn Member

I would have preferred Bynum over Dwight because at least he didn't say he had no interest in Houston, but at the same time there's always been quesiton marks over his knees.

18. RyanB

RyanB Member

so for those criticizing Morey
    what could another GM do?:rolleyes:

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

There's a difference between low balling and refusing to overpay. If Morey fully cleared the decks and Dwight walked away, the franchise really would have been set back 5 years.

He needed to be sure the remaining cast would be good enough to win and that if Dwight left, there would still be a future left.

Orlando tried to negotiate based simply on what we had in hand, not based on Dwight's value. They wanted the moon. In the end, it's crystal clear that they took a deal well below the minimum we were offering. If Morey lowballed at $5, Orlando turned around and sold Dwight for $3.

20. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

You're right... Real GM f'd up!