1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

DONE DEAL: Dwight Howard to Lakers, Bynum to Philly, Iggy to DEN, Garbage to ORL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How does just the fact that we have all those guys effect your evaluation.
    That's a lot of GM wheelin' and dealin' just to have all those guys. At some point it's up to the players themselves and the coaches to max out the potential seen by the GM.

That's the deal I saw as fair, maybe Duhon too.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The only things that make real sense to me are:

Morey drawing a line and not going a penny over, when a penny would have settled the deal a month ago. Morey has a spotty record getting his man with this approach...but the Asik offer sheet seemed to demonstrate that he was more willing to overpay.

Hennigan got so frustrated negotiating with Morey that he did this deal halfway out of spite. Seems crazy, but I've been in that position where someone was being so obnoxiously hellbent on lowblling/used car salesman-ing me that I turned around and did a sweetheart deal with a competitor. We've seen indirect evidence for months (NJ, Cle) that Hennigan was desperately trying to get leverage on Morey. Maybe he finally snapped and refused to give Daryl a win.

Bottom line business, and unfortunately this is the third Morey grand vision that has crashed into a lightpole.

-Ditch JVG and Moneyball around Yao/Tracy
    -Moneyball without Yao/Tracy
    -Okay, we do need a superstar big to win, so push all the chips in for Gasol/Bynum/Howard

And that's leaving out his backfires (T-Will, Thabeet) and his litany of strikeouts chasing big names (Bosh, Howard, etc).

So now we are looking at what we should have done 4 years ago - clean house and rebuild through the draft.

But Morey's nuts are absolutely on the dresser. If (if) we're staring down a 35-win team with no young prospects developing into all-stars, you can't justify keeping him on board anymore. GM's are paid to get things done. Morey's developing a scary inability to close deals.

I think this will turn out fine, but Morey's firmly on the hot seat.

Orlando Pancakes.

1 person likes this.
  3. moreyball

moreyball Member

Where the motherfu**in prick that said we gonna get Duwight?! His bulls*** got my hopes up :mad:

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The difference of course was that the Astros were consistently a good team during Gerry's tenure. Morey's teams have been consistently mediocre. When you're closer to the ground, there's a shorter distance to fall.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's not the fact that we have them, it's what they become and how well they do as a team.

If they fail, Morey has failed, period.

6. passdarock

passdarock Member

I have been trusting the FO judgement, that's all I can do. That's all we can do. That doesn't make their decision right. I am not here to argue that Bynum alone would make the Rockets a championship team. I'm stating that he is a solid piece towards building that championship, which is what Morey has been stating all along.

By marketing players, I was referring to Lin, Asik, even Dragic and other foreign players that help bring money to the rockets with their foreign sales. I don't understand your comparison regarding Bynum and the rookies in regards to their marketability.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

RealGM lists Woj as the source who pretty clearly stated the Rockets would have taken on bad contracts. Just another case of RealGM mixing things up.

8. redlawn

redlawn Member

Oh please, I refer you to the Lin upside thread. More than enough stats and analysis there.

9. passdarock

passdarock Member

How effective is Morey then?

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

10 days on Clutchfans, almost 200 posts. We have some volume posters joining lately.

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

It's on Morey if Yao is Injured
    It's on Morey if T-Mac is injured
    It's on Morey if Melo did not want to come to Houston
    It's on Morey if Bosh prefered Miami
    It's on Morey if Howard does not want to come here

It's Morey's fault to lose his time and career in a city not named LA , NY or Miami, because NO SUPERSTAR WANTS TO COME TO HOUSTON!!!!

STOP BLAMING MOREY:rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

He's just saying all three are franchise players... not that they're equal in talent/upside. Irving is obviously the best.

Curry is better than Lin, but then he has those glass ankles.

I would bet that Lin ends up better than Wall. That's just my opinion.

13. Zfan

Zfan Member

This deal made nba a joke. But I'm glad the drama queen is not a rocket.

14. carayip

carayip Member

Did OKC become a Top 4 team right away? Do you think NOLA will become a Top 4 team by 2014? Geez...

15. DonnyMost

Red herring.

It's on Morey if the players he drafts and free agents he signs fail.

16. DonnyMost

LOL, you think 3 years is "right away"?

Morey will have had 6 years post-Yao to create a contender, and if he isn't close, he needs to go.

17. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I see what redrawn means it doesn't help any, but if Lin continues on ater his injury,
    then he will be a bargain...he won't be on "their level" but if playing close he'd demand the same amount, ATM we don't know if he is underpaid or over...I'd say over, only bc his
    international aura sets off the factor of him being "overpaid" by what 2-3 mil...when in turn
    he could play at a high level again, and those "27 games" would have cost us much more had
    more star studded PGs blown up the PG market, like Gortat did to 7 footers who play 20 mins...

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is funny because I was one of the guys at the trade deadline and especially draft night saying I wanted real results soon or else Morey's head on a platter. And even though he didn't get Howard, I'm giving him more space now because he blew up the roster.

We've been on the be-competitive-and-trade-for-a-superstar plan ever since the second-round exit in 2009. It wasn't working and my patience was almost out. But, it's obvious (to me, anyway) that Les and Morey have finally given up on that plan and gone to a rebuild-via-draft model. I give them some credit for recognizing when something isn't working and changing it. But, the timeline on a build-via-draft strategy is a little longer than a trade-for-superstar strategy. And, we haven't even entered Offseason 1 (high draft pick after tanking season) -- we're still in Offseason 0 (dump all your vets and get ready to tank). I'd say, you give him long enough to find out if his big 2013 draft pick is a franchise player or not.

19. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Read Woj's tweet carefully -- 12M = Kevin Martin's expiring. Therefore, no bad contracts were being consumed by Houston if his assertion is correct!

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I would see it as a player fail or a coaching fail. The GM's job is to assemble potential. And, the more players with potential you get, the greater chance one will break out and the smaller the chance you end up with a total team bust. Morey has done that.

(the GM's real job is to maximize the team's value for the owner; probably more in potential capital gain than from operating profit)