1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Understandable.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Well, that's what I said, the knicks have a political hierarchy based upon salary and perceived clout, which may or may not be consistent with what is necessary to win the most games, either then or now.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think the question was if they/Lin were HOF caliber, but rather their "upside".

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Alright. Another question, is your view of there upside similar to your view on Lin's upside. Considering that they too have small sample sizes as well. Just curious.

6. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I don't either; again, the politics are enlightening: Kyrie's going to smell like roses in cleveland, after lebron's decision. And rubio's hype is reminiscent of white chocolate j. williams whose career disappeared into obscurity.

7. redlawn

redlawn Member

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

When Lin was healthy Woodson did not prioritize half court iso's. It wasn't until he went down with injury that Woodson began to do that. He had to do that because there was no other capable pg.

9. Arthurprescott2

I'm going with "good if not great" again - I would put them around the same level as Lin - 2nd tier PGs at this moment who are young and show promise.

10. Arthurprescott2

Yup. Caught that after I posted initially. I answer it a few posts later.

11. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Let's look at Carmelo's recent public statements: lin's contract is ridiculous and his blaming linsanity for his being perceived as selfish. It seems quite clear that Carmelo is in fact selfish. Add to that his inability/unwillingness to show up for the season in shape.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

More floaters, improved jump shooting. Adding to his strength and agility as well. Tony Parker is able to crash the paint and score and the rim without putting undue damage on his body. Parker is not as strong as Lin.

13. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

It is ridiculously early to make HOF projections after part of a condensed season. For every LBJ, there's going to be a jerry stackhouse. Let's let these guys play and enjoy the ride.....:grin:

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

I hear you. You at least are consistent. I hear people who say that Lin is an unknown and Kyrie is the next CP3. :rolleyes:

15. redlawn

redlawn Member

I watched Felton as a Knick. He was actually pretty good and put up career high numbers. Everyone thought that the Knicks would suck that year, but it was actually a pleasant surprise, and they were fun too.

Felton and Amare worked wonders back then, but I'm not entirely sure how it'll work out for them now. They've got Melo now, and they've lost Wilson Chandler, Gallinari, and Landry Fields. Melo's gonna ISO on that right side, and Felton's just gonna toss him the ball. I doubt it'll ever be as dynamic as the Felton/Amare squad from a few years ago.

16. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

He's working on all of that. Lin's confidence is a double edged sword: it allows him to produce improbable feats, but it also leads him to getting smacked around like a pinball and then coming back for more.

It's ironic that JKidd, one of the players who literally tried to take his head off, was supposed to be the one to 'mentor' Lin and show him how to pace himself. Another reminder of what a nuthouse NYK basketball is.

17. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I never saw that group play (or never watched with any real interest) but there are still knicks fans who pine for those days and think the trade for melo was a disaster. Informative.

18. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Kidd is arguably a top 5 pg in NBA history. I'd want him mentoring Lin, too.

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

You really need to watch those games. Melo walking off while Lin was talking. Melo wouldnt participate in the huddle. Watch it with your own eyes!

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

He didn't say his contract was ridiculous as in Lin not being deserving of it. He said the way it was structured was ridiculous ie, the final year having the balloon payment. But he shouldn't have opened his mouth in the first place. Irregardless of what he mean't saying something like that is indicative of some element of tension. Lin himself did say that he never knew what a good locker room guy mean until he was with NY so obviously there was some locker room issues.

The blaming Linsanity for being selfish is just foolishness on Melo's part. The full statement was that as a Knick Linsanity was the reason why people started calling him selfish. Prior to Linsanity when Melo was a Knick people were calling him selfish the media and the fans. It wasn't until Linsanity that it REALLY blew up and people were saying it to his face and he was hearing it absolutely everywhere. But it wouldn't have blown up if there were not undertones of it before during Melo's tenure as a Knick.