1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

LOL! Yeah, I try to be as clear as possible to avoid miscommunication, which obviously generates resentment on the part of those who choose obfuscation.

3. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Yes, I watched Lin play. I know what he can do well and what he can't do well.

I don't see why are you comparing him to Wade now. I don't know if anybody ever doubted Wade's ability to dribble with his left hand. His turnover percetange was pretty high, but not as nearly as high as Lin's.

Yes, I do know the difference. Boston and Miami both had success against Lin by trying to force him left. Lin shot a combined 7-for-37 against the Heat and Celtics; the Knicks lost both games. Same thing against Timberwolves. They forced him left, he shot 8-24.

4. redlawn

redlawn Member

Good night mister!

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

My main concern with Lin, which you allude to, is that he remain aggressive without inviting undue risk of injury. There is a balance between remaining aggressive and forcing the situation, and we can all agree he is still in the process of learning that balance, as are all players.

Having said that, that does not take away from his potential or skillset. More to the point, there is a difference between a hot streak and setting an nba record for points and assists in their first 7 starts in the league. And this was without the benefit of a training camp, or any coaching at all, literally. He was literally thrown into the fire and produced record results.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Alright. This has been repeated by a lot of people multiple times. Am I the only person who thought that Lin's game improved as he went on. In fact, I would argue that his last few games were the best basketball he played during the entire period, better than his first 8 or so games. I didn't have any feelings of significant let down to be honest.

7. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I did not. I felt he was overused without regard for his health in a condensed schedule. You could tell by his body language that he was incredibly fatigued and worn out prior to going on the injured list.

He became more cautious yes, but only because he was tired and injured. But playing cautiously because one is tired and injured is not a sign of improvement.

8. Arthurprescott2

I personally was a little let-down though I mostly blamed it on Melo at the time.

9. redlawn

redlawn Member

And I don't understand why people doubt Lin's ability to dribble with his left hand. He dribbles with his left in games?

Do people say that Jason Terry has no left hand, even though everyone knows that Terry loves to drift to his right before his shot?

10. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Michael Jordan was right hand dominant as well. More often than not, he would go right. Most every player is right hand dominant, it's not unique to Lin.

11. Arthurprescott2

He was coached, literally. Kenny Atkinson worked with him a lot while Lin sat on the bench (before he got significant minutes).

12. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Carmelo was going to want 15-20 attempts no matter what. He's also disruptive to ball movement since he tends to hold the ball for long periods.

I still think the knicks will struggle this season, since Amare and other shooters will be under-utilized.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Disagree. He played a lot better in his last few games was my perception. He was a lot more in control. In his last 7 games he ranked behind CP3 and Parker in terms of points and assists (he had an average of 18 & 8). He hit his last 40 of 42 FT's so his FT shooting improved significantly. He was going to his left with a lot more confidence and turning the ball over less as well. His defense was a lot more improved, more likely because the Knicks overall team defense was a lot better as well, they were communicating on the defensive end (cough Amare and Melo). Most importantly he was acting like a floor general, directing the offense. The Knicks in the last few games Lin played had 6 or 7 guys averaging double digits over that span. Once he was injured I still watched a few games with my boyfriend and there offense was more predicated on Carmelo Anthony scoring 40 points and less on a balanced attack.

Point of note in those games they also reduced his minutes, however by that time it was probably too late.

14. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

But he certainly was not working closely with dantoni.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Stop responding to Sigmund please. Just ignore him. He has been doing this for months. He will never stop and giving him the attention he wants will fuel him.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am shocked that you were let down. Wow. Lin and Melo actually played pretty well together. I guess people did not notice that either. Lin played his best with Novak, Tyson, Landry of course. But he also played pretty well with Melo for someone that was learning on the fly.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

He can be coached all he wants by Kenny. The real learning experience comes from playing significant minutes in actual NBA games. He was most definitely learning on the fly.

18. redlawn

redlawn Member

It is a terrible habit of mine to not let a troll get the last word on me. I apologize. :grin:

19. Arthurprescott2

Well that's doesn't quite jive with D'Antoni's concept of a head coach. :)

20. redlawn

redlawn Member

Stats bear this out actually. Lin and Melo played well together. It's a common misconception that they couldn't play on the floor together.