1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Again, no one is "fighting" you. At least I'm not. I read what I want to read, either fully or partially, or sometimes not at all. That's my choice, and yours as well. But reading posts in part or ignoring them does not constitute "fighting."

verb ( past and past part. fought |fôt|) [ intrans. ]
    take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons : the men were fighting | they fight with other children.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Do you have evidence that he absolutely without a doubt won't be a HOFer?

I think the point is no one knows, particularly due to the small sample size.

While it is widely accepted to question his production due to this sample size, it is outrageous to suggest a high upside.

Meanwhile, it is the complete opposite for guys like Irving/Rubio, who are accepted to have high(HOFer?) upside due to their small sample size, and ridiculous to suggest they are flukes.

I think the question at hand is why the inconsistency?

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Do you really think I don't know what plausible means? :rolleyes:

I firmly believe there is not enough evidence to even consider Lin to be a HOF guard. Perhaps the standards have fallen lax as of late, but Lin has not had the experience nor the career for anyone to be able to call him a HOF player a "plausible" possibility.

4. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Fortson skill/salary ratio is certainly in his favor.

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

respect |riˈspekt|
    noun
    1 a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements : the director had a lot of respect for Douglas as an actor.

Do I respect you according to this definition? No, I do not. I don't know you so it is impossible for me to admire you. I have no information on your abilities, qualities or achievements.

6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

When did this become vocabulary class?

7. redlawn

redlawn Member

Serious question: Have you watched Lin play? If so, how many games?

Lin has flaws in his game, but no more than any other NBA player. When Wade first came in the league, he had amongst the highest turnover rate higher for any top 100 guard in the NBA.

Honestly, what's the difference between "exposed" and having a bad game? That somehow Lin's flaws are ever-lasting and that he has no ability to improve.

It's all honest to goodness bull****, concocted by Stephen A Smith.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

And that is a perfectly reasonable belief. As long as it is inconsistent and you also firmly believe that there is not enough evidence to consider Kyrie and Rubio of having the plausible possibility to be a HOF guard. I think that is the point that is trying to be made.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Ignore Sigmund. Please. He has been doing this for months just ignore him. Don't quote him either. He will go away from lack of attention.

10. RedNation

Wait so you don't think

[​IMG]
    will be better than lin?

11. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Believe it or not, but you should treat those you've never met with the respect they deserve - even if you've never met them before. That's something I was taught growing up, that's something I teach my kids, and that's something you should do as well.

But I'm tired of this banter and it's getting quite offtopic as well. I'll leave you forum folks to your discussion. Good night!

12. RedNation

Serious question, how long does it take you to sign in to CF? Doesn't it take forever to type ch0c0b0fr34k

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

No. I don't.

14. redlawn

redlawn Member

I actually do question whether ch0c0b0fr34k knows what "plausible" means.

I can tell you this: it's certainly not "obvious" or "adamantly believe."

15. RedNation

[​IMG]

16. Arthurprescott2

Mmm I can only speak personally on this. My take is I saw the great moments and I saw the not-so-great moments as well. I saw the times he took contact and still finished creatively at the rim. But there were other times where his shot wasn't falling for extended periods and where he seemed to run into traffic without a plan. Obviously the kid is not a god on earth. Obviously there will be flaws. And the fact that his season ended on a bad note has some relevance here. Because there was no flow to the Knick's offense, Lin's game suffered. So that tempered my expectations of him in my mind (fair or not). In addition, his first 8 or so games created insane expectations and there was the let-down after. Players go through streaks. That's just a fact of the game.

More to your point - to say a player's upside is Nash or Stockton... That'd be like pointing to DMo and saying his upside is McHale. Or Blake Griffin and Barkley. I know people do it. I would not... There are very few HOF-talents. It's just not likely that any player has THAT high a ceiling.

17. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

A small price to pay to be a fan of the best video game I've ever played ;)

18. redlawn

redlawn Member

My badddddd :)

19. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Good night redlawn! ;)

20. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I have actually given you all of the respect possible on the internet. I have avoided ad hominem attacks, I have answered all of your questions honestly, and I only address your questions with substance. In return you have freely used ad hominem attacks, and accused me falsely of attacking you and fighting with you.

Therefore, it is quite clear that you are a hypocrite: you engage in disrespectful behavior while preaching it to others. :) Good night.