1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Exactly, Stephen A is on the air for political reasons: he reinforces the stereotype of the 'angry black man.' I don't doubt that some of what he says is true, what's important is how he says it: eyes bugging out, yelling, etc.

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

There's no need to stick up for another poster. They're not being 'attacked' or lectured either, for the reasons I have already mentioned: it's impossible on the internet, there is no physical co-presence nor are any of us compelled to read anything written.

3. redlawn

redlawn Member

But how can an individual be disgusted with the usage of "nig.ger" and not be equally disgusted with "chink"? Both are racial slurs, used in the same derogatory manner, even if occasionally light-heartedly.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

That was not directed at you. "Good, not great." is the consensus around here. Heck, that might be giving people a little too much credit. It might be closer to "Average, if not good." if people truly believe he is overpaid.

Funny thing is, my first reaction re: his upside was "above average: Dragic/Lowry type". Chances are I'm right, but the more I think about it, the more I question my logic. Why can't his upside be Nash? Why can't his upside be Stockton?

Is he not athletic enough, even though his BAM score is comparable to Irving/Wall?

Did he not produce enough, even though he set NBA records?

Does he not have a good feel for the game, even though my eyes clearly tell me otherwise?

Maybe it's not him. Maybe we are looking at it too black and white?

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

So you would argue that "imarealballer" is not pompous and arrogant in speech? Are you so blind that you cannot see what is in front of you until someone punches you and shoves it in your face?

Since you seem so keen on defending your buddy here, have at it!

6. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

There is surely a lot of racism in the media coverage of Lin, but there's also some over-reaction: I don't really see how the fortune cookie image was 'racist.' I thought it was a way of saying surprise! we have a HUGE ASSET tearing it up!

7. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Well, as I said, no one is 'punching you in the face,' either literally or figuratively.

Pomposity and arrogance are completely subjective evaluations so if you feel that way, then you are free to feel that way. :)

8. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Nor do I need someone to stand up for me, but the solidarity is welcome.

As for you, "imarealballer", let's return to the subject at hand. You and I disagree on redlawn's statement that - to paraphrase - it's obvious Lin will become a HOF player.

I'm a reasonable man. If you can support your stance with some evidence without condescension, I will listen. Yet to say that you are not "lecturing" anyone - calling me a "young padwon" surely seems arrogant.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well I would be insulted by both words to be honest. I was pretty shocked by what he said as well. But everybody is different though. Some people grow up in areas where it is perfectly acceptable to call someone a racially derogatory word. Thus, when they go elsewhere they are unaware that it could be inappropriate. People are influenced by a multitude of factors, parents, surroundings etc. Not that I am defending what he said, just trying to add a little bit of perspective.

10. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Fair enough. It seems I cannot convince you that you appear to be an arrogant prick on the forums - but have no fear, it is only my opinion, and not that of others ;)

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

It was inappropriate. It if had been an image of an african american coming out of a watermelon or something ignorant like that people would have had problems. I was happy that they addressed the fortune cookie image.

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

And as for redlawn - here's the statement I disagreed with.

And again, I question whether or not you know the definition of "plausible".

13. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I definitely did not say that, now you are putting words in my mouth. :) You can repeat every post of mine verbatim, and you will find no languaging which is even close much less identical to your claim.

What I HAVE said is that our evaluations of players are inconisistent: based upon race, and based upon specific emotional triggers (ie whether we believe in underdog stories, among countless others which I don't have time to iterate).

Also, I can't control how you feel about the use of the term, padwan. If you are insulted by it (in internet parlance, "butthurt"), that is your choice as an adult. :)

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

I hear where you are coming from. I can understand why you would feel that he was coming off as pompous or arrogant. But as the discussion went on it became evident to me that he was just trying to drive a commentary.

15. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree: there's nothing wrong with fortune cookies: they connote, wait for it.........good fortune! :p

16. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Wait so based on you, Lin weaknesses such as left hand, non-existent defense, suspect jumper, ball handling, turnovers has nothing to do with people doubting him?
    The fact that he was exposed on multiple occasions?

If he were black, he would probably be unknown bakcup point guard such as Eric Maynor per se(who btw is better point guard than him). He benefited from being Asian way for sure.

17. redlawn

redlawn Member

No, he was giving a sociological explanation for how Lin was overlooked, and quite frankly, continues to get overlooked. If you took it as something directed at you, that's your own personal insecurities.

"iamarealballer" and i are different people. My responses to you here and here are my own. His words are his own as well.

18. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

A most common mistake from people overly eager to fight on the forums - you don't read and respect the person you're quoting.

19. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

plausible |ˈplôzəbəl|
    adjective
    (of an argument or statement) seeming reasonable or probable : a plausible explanation | it seems plausible that one of two things may happen. See note at believable .
    • (of a person) skilled at producing persuasive arguments, esp. ones intended to deceive : a plausible liar.
    DERIVATIVES
    plausibility |ˌplôzəˈbilitē| noun
    plausibly |-əblē| adverb
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (also in the sense [deserving applause or approval] ): from Latin plausibilis, from plaus- ‘applauded,’ from the verb plaudere.

20. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'd rather have Courtney Fortson over Jeremy Lin. let's see the responses to this