1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin-sanity on NBA TV all weekend! How do we stack up to that team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by woodtee, Aug 4, 2012.

1. redlawn

redlawn Member

I just want to see NY take a dump on themselves. To me that would be a very successful season. Hehe.

Secondary goal might be to just outplay Felton/Kidd, but that might be setting the bar too low.

2. kuku

kuku Member

That depends on the term "overrated." Mark Cuban didnt think he is worth 13-15 million/year. He is among the 2nd tier of centers in the league. His salary justified that. His biggest weakness is in offense; easily guardable, no post game, average offensive rebounder. But his value really comes in his defense, as we all know. He might not be as good defensively as DH, but he is their spiritual leader on the floor and other intangibles made up for the lack of athletisism.

Can Knicks win more games with DH or Bynum in place of Tyson? Without a doubt.

Omer is not up there yet defensively. He has to prove he is just as a capable against backups as starters. If Omer starts this season, it will be a developing year for him.

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2f8CXf_E89w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

still gives me chills.

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

See Melo is right there clapping at the 1:11 mark.

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

I'm a bit surprised that some posters believe that the rocks are positioning themselves for a high lottery pick with this current roster. They're probably just trolling but this team is probably underrated as of this point.

You have to keep in mind that Lin was playing an unreal amount of minutes after not playing at all, so he was really wearing down by the time the Knicks played the heat. In addition, he was facing incredible media scrutiny; it was an emotional whirlwind as well as a huge and sudden physical burden. Lin handled all of this in exemplary fashion but it had to take a toll.

Lin is going to be playing a standard schedule this year, and he's prepped in the offseason for the grind of a starter's minutes. He'll have a good season and will progress to becoming an all star and possibly an all nba caliber point.

Even if the rocks don't get a top five big, they may be able to duplicate what chris paul did with NO: taking a bunch of role players with him into the playoffs consistently.

Add a top 5 player and the sky's the limit for the rockets.

QUOTE=woodtee;7100534]Watching replays of Jeremy Lin's best games marathoning on NBA TV right now til tomorrow and seeing NYK beating Kobe and the Lakers gets me wondering. Can we actually be a much better team (currently constructed) than most of the national and local media project?

Really, that Knicks team was a terrible team b4 Lin and he single handedly turned them around with a buncha scrub players and one 7-ft defensive center. That Knicks team wasn't known as defensive juggernauts either, just Lin's presence brought out the youthful enthusiasm on defense. No stud scorers there either.

NYK vs HOU lineup:

1. PG: Lin vs Lin - a year older, a year wiser. As hard a worker Lin is, I see him getting better as he ages. He knows his weaknesses are his left hand & turnovers (which he has already said he's working on). Ppl say teams will figure him out, but he still shredded great teams like the Lakers and Mavs even when they knew he was the one to stop. Yes, MIA stopped him but they made a huge concerted effort to stop this one man.
    [/QUOTE]

6. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

You are beyond delusional. Second unit of the Thunder is better than Rockets starting lineup(Maynor-Harden-Cook-PJ3-Collison). West is very strong this year. Pretty much every team got better point guard and better supporting cast.

Jeremy Lin is not second coming of Chris Paul. Knicks never had elite offense. They were winning, because of the defense. Lakers shot 37% in that win at MSG. Other than Lakers and Mavs(both bad road teams) winning streak was only against non-playoff weak teams.

7. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I don't think Tyson is overrated, but he has been injury prone in the past, so maybe that's why Cuban offered 15mil for one year, but did not want to commit to more years. Or maybe he wanted the flexibility to chase expensive free agents in the future.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

[/QUOTE]

Well Lin says the goal for the Rockets is to make the playoffs. I think people need to temper there expectations a little bit on that but that is just me. There are going to be a lot of challenges and lumps but that is just my perspective. If we make the playoffs I definitely wouldn't complain.

9. kinein

kinein Member

It was never about him being ELITE. It was his heart and HUSTLE.

The guy hustled as hard as anyone in the league - and it showed.

10. kinein

kinein Member

Someone needs to make a video with all the fan recordings of that gamewinner.

Can't wait to see the Rockets and Lin hit the court!

11. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

If we make the playoffs with this rookie heavy team Linsanity will be immortalised.

He has the hype and ability to lead our team as a sophomore captain (who was undrafted etc. etc.)

I can hardly even imagine what such an amazing feat would do for his, and by association our, image on the world stage

12. jlfans

jlfans Member

I think JLamb = Landry Field or Iman Shumpert's slam dunk + Steve Novak's 3-point shoot in Lin's offensive. No matter rookie or veteran.
    Jared Jeffries had a knee injury but Terrence Jones (or DMo/Royce) not.
    Lin often played an alley-oop with A'mar, Shumpert, J.R.Smith, Field or Tyson.
    Maybe Parsons, Patterson and our rookies all can do that very well and a lot but I didn't see Omer Asik make an alley-oop in the past film.

13. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

we don't like the word "Linsanity" anymore. it kinda takes away from Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and everything that he stands for.. he is an unselfish player who puts his teammates before himself, and he is he to stay. "Linsanity" kinda says he is a "flash in the pan".

that said, can't wait for the Lin Dynasty to begin in the House of Linston!!

14. RockSC

RockSC Member

Realistically, do you see Lin having a 16/12 season? Or was it more of a hopefully prediction? I can see him put up a 15/8 on consistent basis. But I honestly don't know Lin's ceiling because the small sample size he played last year.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

If you can find a quality 50% 3-point shooter like Novak to put on the floor with Lin, he will be just as effective here as he was in NY, and probably better with experience.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

Watching these games made me realize what potential this kid has. He actually makes really good passes. He always makes the right choice in the pnR.

17. CatW2Dogs

CatW2Dogs Member

I stumbled upon this video on accident and has been by far the best one I've seen of the Knicks vs. Toronto buzzer beater game winner basket. Disclaimer: turn down your volume and watch on full screen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MsgjtRiAL0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

The rumor was that he offered Tyson $20 million for one year, and then the plan was to make a big splash this summer going after Dwight Howard and Deron Williams to team up with Dirk. When Dwight decided to remain for more season in Orlando, it changed everything.

19. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Good post. Lin will also be playing much more games in the Western Conference now seeing much more competition at that PG spot, and every team will put him at the top of the list to stop him. I just hope the Rockets will be ready to defend the pick and roll, as much as they will be running it.

20. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

OTOH, Lin won't have to deal with the unreal pace and grueling pressure of:

a. a condensed schedule

b. transitioning from zero to 38 min/night

c. the chaotic whirlwind of going from an unknown player to the most famous athlete in the world

It was obvious he was wearing down over time as a result of these factors, so playing a regular season schedule fully prepped will work to his advantage.

Will other teams prep for JLin now? Yes. But JLin is outworking just about everybody else in the league.