1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2011-12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oakdogg

oakdogg Member

Oh, I wouldn't want to lose D-Mo for Jefferson either. My thought would be to have D-Mo as THE backup at PF AND C.

2. kjayp

kjayp Member

I'd LOVE for us to get Al.... depending on what we give up....If they want Kmart, spare parts (PPat, MMo, Jones, etc...) and a couple picks other than the Toronto pick - cool...
    dont see Utah doin it... if they do move him it'd be out of their division...
    Love to have a frontcourt trio of Al, Asik n Dmo!

3. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

[Bleacer Report]:5 Teams That Should Trade for H

Charlotte Bobcats

Trade: DeSagana Diop, Gerald Henderson and Reggie Williams for Martin

Believe it or not, but the Charlotte Bobcats have quietly put together a team with a lot of potential. In 2011-12, the Bobcats were arguably the worst basketball team ever. With the worst winning percentage in NBA history (.106), the Bobcats finished their pathetic season 7-59.

In the offseason, the Bobcats added the No. 2 pick in the 2012 NBA draft, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Ben Gordon, Ramon Sessions and Brendan Haywood.

The D.J Augustin-less Bobcats now have a backcourt of Gordon, Sessions, Kemba

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Walker and Gerald Henderson. The Bobcats are a playmaker away from becoming a decent basketball team.

With Martin available by trade, the Bobcats could offer the Rockets center DeSagana Diop, forward Reggie Williams and guard Gerald Henderson. Martin would give the Bobcats a strong backcourt, a strength that could take them far in the Eastern Conference. Gordon could spell Martin, making sure the Bobcats have offensive firepower on the court at all times.

The Bobcats would also be dumping three expiring contracts at once in exchange for just one.

Utah Jazz

Trade: Paul Millsap for Josh Harrellson and Martin

The Utah Jazz have an embarrassment of riches. There aren't many teams in the NBA that possess three good low-post players on their roster, let alone four. The Jazz have Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter.

Favors and Kanter will both demand more minutes this upcoming season, making

If the Jazz trade Millsap, they would pair Martin with newly acquired Mo Williams. Just like that, the Jazz would go from having one of the worst backcourts in the NBA to a high scoring threat. Martin would spread out the Jazz's lineup, instead of them continually relying on the frontcourt to make plays.

Chicago Bulls

Trade: Luol Deng for Patrick Patterson and Martin

Before the 2012 NBA draft, trade rumors with Luol Deng's name attached to them were running rampant.

Deng is set to make about $27.5 million over the next two years. Unfortunately, the Bulls are also tied down with contracts to Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah. The Bulls must be careful with their cap space, especially with Taj Gibson's free agency approaching.

If the Bulls trade Deng for Martin and Patrick Patterson, they will be losing their second best player but also freeing themselves up cap wise in order to re-sign Gibson next summer. Martin's contract is expiring and will still give the Bulls a chance to compete with Derrick Rose out of the lineup due to his ACL tear.

Patterson is also a young player with potential. A trade for Martin and Deng straight up would be unfair, so a young player like Patterson would have to be included.

Portland Trailblazers

Trade: Wes Matthews, Luke Babbitt, Dan Gadzuric and Ronnie Price for Martin and Harrellson

After re-signing restricted free agent Nicolas Batum, the Blazers still find themselves a player away from competing for a spot in the postseason.

If the Blazers were able to acquire Martin from the Rockets, they would then have the roster ready to face off against the Western Conferences elite. LaMarcus Aldridge is an all-star-level power forward, and Batum has the potential to be an all-star as well. Matthews has been good for the Blazers, but the team could still use more instant offense.

Martin would be that offense.

In order to make the trade work, the Blazers would have to include expiring contracts and a young player. Babbitt is young and could eventually develop into a role player. Both Gadzuric and Price have expiring contracts. The Rockets could also

With Martin's deal expiring at the end of the year, the Blazers could also free up some cap space after their huge deal with Batum.

Indiana Pacers

Trade: Danny Granger for Martin

Danny Granger is one of the most overrated players in the NBA.

Sure, he averages 18.7 points per game and plays the part of go-to guy for the Indiana Pacers, but Granger lacks that extra "level" that makes elite players elite.

Granger rarely makes game changing plays or big-time shots. With the Pacers giving Roy Hibbert such a ginormous contract, their future could be tied into how far Granger takes them.

That's a scary idea.

Granger is not a scrub by any means. But when he's the best player on your team, have fun watching the conference championship from your

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

couch. Martin would not solve the Pacers' issue of not having a true franchise player, but he would give the team some much needed cap space at the end of the season.

As Grantland.com's Bill Simmons said, if the Pacers do keep Granger, they need Paul George to become a star or else they'll be stuck in the middle of the pack for years to come.

IMO I would take the Bobcats or Indiana deal if they were interested in Martin! What y'all think? Sorry for the long thread :grin:

4. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

I like all these scenarios just because I hate Martin that much.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

would do granger for martin

6. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

just wasted 30 sec of my life. stupid report is stupid.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

No slide show no read

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No to the Bobcats.

Portland and Chicago's offers would be nice if were contending.

I'd take the Jazz's trade, I like Milsap plus he's still young. Would make the Jazz that much worse too.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

Why do you want the Rockets to bleed?

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Oh and no to Indy. That's just a lateral move really.

11. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

if martin is still in our team in the mid-season, we are in full building model why are we trading martin and youngsters for proven players, and taking away the playing time from the remaining of youngsters?

12. il italiano

il italiano Member

only like the portland deal.

13. juicystream

juicystream Member

Why would Houston do those deals? I could at least consider Granger, and I could deal with the Jazz, just not for a PF.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All of these trades are garbage except the one for Granger.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

"That Should Trade for H"

What?

making a thread (with a fitting screw up in the title) about a Bleacher Report article, ugh.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Teams that should trade for heroin ...H?

i guess if i were the GM of the Bobcats ...i'd trade for heroin too.

17. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Milsap or Granger would be nice.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

Houston trades: Kevin Martin
    Houston receives: Diop, Ridnour, DET 1st (Top-14 Protected in 2013 Draft, top-8 protected in 2014, top-1 protected in 2015 and Unprotected in the 2016 Draft)

Timberwolves trade: Derrick Williams, Ridnour
    Timberwolves receive: Kevin Martin

Charlotte trades: Diop, DET 1st
    Charlotte receives: Derrick Williams

Why for Houston: Get a really nice pick to add to our rebuilding effort
    Why for Wolves: Get the last piece to their playoff puzzle
    Why for Cats: Get a young offensive PF next to Bismack who’d get the playing time he needs in CHA

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Plan A = Howard
    Plan B = Rebuild with young players
    Plan Q = Get the 14th pick

I think we could do better (in terms of rebuilding) than anything suggested here for Martin.

20. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

(This was meant to be about the bleacher report before it was moved into this thread.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.