1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to the Westside Tennis Club and Fonde Recreation Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 28, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was just curious if any of the Houston Rockets still go to the Fonde Recreation Center or Westside Tennis Center and play ball during the summer?

We all know the stories of Dream vs Moses at Fonde in from the late 70's to early 80's. I Rememer John Lucas coaching Steve Francis at the Westside Tennis Club back during his years in Houston.

Those two places were hotspots for pick up games for a lot of NBA players during the summer. I think a lot of Houston's popularity for NBA basketball players back in the day may have been contributed by those two places.

2. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Sam Cassel will play this summer.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Cool, It would be great to hear about some other guys like TJ and Lamb playing there. I think Royce would be a great guy to have in a pick up game.

BTW, are they still playing at Fonde or just Westside?

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Where are the dates for the finder center?

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I meant FONDE center... Stupid autocorrect.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Does Pro city summer league at Fonde still exists?

7. QazQay

QazQay Member

[​IMG]

8. NeonTiger

NeonTiger Member

Hooping is dead

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis hoops at lifetime fitness in City Center

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ron artest used to play at lifetime...

11. ktex

ktex Member

Cool, when do you normally see him up there playing?

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I don't know how often he goes, but a friend of mine who works there said he has seen him a few times playing pickup

13. Nero

Nero Member

I thought Westside pretty much went by the wayside when Mattress Mac stopped being a prime sponsor of the Rockets.

I kinda miss Mattress Mac commercials all during every telecast..

better than SAVED BY ZEEEROOOOOO

:grin:

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Fonde summer league used to have a lot of pros come play there, I don't know if they still have it or not.
    It was fun to watch but the last time I was there was when steve and cat still played for the Rockets. I used to take my son and his friends when they were around 11 or 12, they enjoyed seeing the pro's play up close.

Mosses would be coaching a team, cat played, the leaf played (rashard), sam cassell and a lot of other pro's from around the league.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I have been a member at westside for years. Back in the day it was great, I remember when I was really young, the Rockets actually held a good number of practices there. As far as pick up during the summer, it used to be a real hot spot, I rember working there and getting to know guys like Rashard Lewis and Sam Cassell fairly well. It was never a spot for the really big names, but I rember that's part of the reason guys liked it. Also, Westside had one of the best full size courts in the city until a couple of years ago, when they decided to tear it up in favor of expanding the fitness center =(. They have a court still, but it's not even full size. Obviously, pros are not going to be good with that.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Not sure if it's still the same, but back in the late 90s, early 2000s, many NBA players lived in a certain neighborhood near Westside. I believe a lot of them lived over in Royal Oaks. So it was right by Westside. During the lockout of 99, it was the place to play ball and stay fit.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

it's not the same at all, but you are absolutely right, it used to be back in the day, when they had the full court gym.

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Didn't really know where to put this but does anyone know why all the Houston Rec centers close so early (like 7 PM)? I'm only here for a few months and I really don't wana pay for the high membership and initiation fees at 24 Hr or LA Fitness or something

19. Amir's Johnson

I miss my tennis days back at Westside..

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i remember an interview with one of the star nba players talking about how over the last few summers lebron has organised a priivate workout centre for the best of the best nba talent to go at eachother in pick up games. it was somehwere in LA last year (cant remember where) but i remember harden was invited along with dwight from the rockets (unsure if chandler was mentioned)

bwsides that i guess drew league is the only other place i know nba players go, (admittingly because im from aus and dont really care_.