1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will start at Power Forward when the Season Starts?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Who will win the starting Power Forward spot in Training Camp?

1. Patrick Patterson

361 vote(s)
    62.3%
  2. Donatas Motiejunas

174 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. Royce White

9 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Terrence Jones

35 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You can forget about that. There will be no Asik easing into a starting role. Asik will be the starter from day one (unless there is a trade for D12 or Bynum) and given starters minutes providing he's not in foul trouble.

2. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Remember Jones can play SF and DMo can play C clearing at least a few minutes for Royce.. he has point forward ability but I doubt he well be used as such in his rookie year

Also Morris should get some time.. Doesn't look good for Royce, hopefully he lights up the D league and forces his way in

3. crash5179

Why do you think that, he essentially did that last season. Chase was the starter from the previous season and McHale moved Parsons in to the starters spot after only 6 games. Parsons did not have any off-season program with the Rockets and was not able to practice during the 1st part of training camp due to contract issues. Last, the team only had a couple of pre-season games.

This season the Rockets have no returning starter at Power Forward. All of the rookies played in the summer league, they are all signed, they will all have a full off-season program and all will get a chance work with the Kevin McHale. The rookies will also get a full month of pre-season games to prove who is better in real game situations.

Unlike last season McHale will get to develop a comfort with this group of rookies as he works with them through out the summer. he will have an opportunity to see them in a month of pre-season games before making his decission on who the starter is.

So explain to me why you think Kevin McHale will not start a Rookie when he has already proven he will?

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's going to be Patterson. I know most want it to be D-Mo. I think it should be Royce White.

5. crash5179

Asik has already been named the starting center for next season, providing there is not a trade for Bynum or D12.

6. Asian Sensation

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

How about "Two Sandwiches "

[​IMG]

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Patterson will have the job to start training camp.

Jones will have the job before Christmas.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

my thought too....

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

start pp, let him know there's no guarantee he keeps it, and let the rotation iron itself out.

if one of the other players ends up out playing pp (very possible) make the switch.

11. pass_to_Hakeem

Why not rightfully so??? You think T Jones is gonna come in and do a better job then Pat? I like T Jones and I hope he is gonna be a great player drafted # 18 BUT HE ISN'T A Davis drafted # 1...

12. crash5179

Why not "rightfully so" is easy.

1. Daryl Morey named 4 starters for next season. The one omission was for the Power Forward position implying that there will be open compition to decide the starter.

2. There is no incumbent starter at the Power Forward position.

3. Do you really think its a stretch to believe a rookie could produce as well as Pat did last season?

4. Pat has shown no willingness to rebound on any sort of consistent bases

5. Either Pat does not have a reliable post game or he refuses to use it.

6. Pat has not earned the starting role based on his play.

Now can you give me any reason why the starting power forward job should "rightfully" be Pats to lose? I can't even think of one.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Doesnt much matter , he was just an example of adding one of the non-guaranted guy's to a deal .... just about any contract on the roster added to that deal bringsthe numbers into compliance.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

To me what is more important is who will play the most minutes?

1. D-Mo
    2. Terrence Jones
    3. Royce White
    4. Patrick Patterson

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Patterson will start AND will play the most minutes, barring a trade.

16. pass_to_Hakeem

Are you kidding me? We don't know Morey's reasoning for "not" naming Patterson as the starter , there could be a lot of reasons other than the one you're implying.. Patterson hasn't been 100% healthy both years either. Could Jones come in and outwork/ produce Patterson ? Sure
    Could Patterson be healthy and stay healthy and do all the things you say he lacks and more? Sure
    .. We aren't making the moves do we can't say 100% what Morey is thinking... I doubt very seriously at the start of the season Patterson isn't starting---UNLESS TRADED BEFORE THEN!!!

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

If Patterson was as much of a shoe in as you think, then don't you think Daryl Morey would've stated as such? Patterson definitely has the skill set to start at the 4 position, but let's be honest, Patterson's ceiling doesn't seem to be nearly as high as T.Jones' or D-Mo. So it is definitely a possibility that during the off-season program that P.Pat could be relieving one of these guys instead of the other way around

18. crash5179

Well that is certainly your oppinion. I don't think it holds water but we will see. I think it's crystal clear that the competition is open. I think DM named the starters going into trainIng camp and Pat is not one of them. If he starts it will have to be because he beat out the compitition.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Please, God....don't let us suck so much....

I'd like to think there's a deal in the works for a 4/5 type player. I don't want to throw away any really good rooks for Howard, but can't say who's out there for us who'd be of interest or gettable.

If we go to war with this current group, it'd be like Matthew Broderick's regiment at the end of "Glory". Gonna lose anyway. I guess I'll vote Dmo for now. He has a fire that Ppat doesn't.

20. pass_to_Hakeem

Lol it's my opinion but you don't think it holds water???? Yeah we all have them here on the board and now I'm over this.... By your logic Patterson was "left out" of the upcoming season's starting 5... But he also left out D Mo & Jones , so maybe nobody will start @ the 4 spot....