1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Mayor Letter to Chick-Fil-A bashes them over their anti-gay stance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Jul 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BigBird

BigBird Member

[​IMG]

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What if they supported outlawing blacks and whites from marrying one another?

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Do they?

4. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

What if a business supported an opinion that differed from yours?

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

My disagreements with Chik-Fil-A aside, I'm not really cool with somebody using the office of the Mayor to do this.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's a hypothetical.

7. leroy

leroy Member

If you and your family takes a stance like that, I don't like it but it's really more of your problem. When you take your national chain and the millions of dollars made from those restaurants, likely from many homosexual people and use it directly to help fund groups that do nothing but find ways to discriminate, I have a problem with that. I am not going to be one that contributes to it...and that sucks because I enjoy their food and their service.

I don't know what the Dobson family (Whataburger) does with their money. They are smart enough not to publicize it. I don't ask a business owner what their political stance is when I enter a business. I think it's bad for business to make it public. If I walk into a place and the guy behind the counter starts spouting off to me about their stances and they don't know me, I'm likely going to leave w/o buying anything (yes, it's happened before). There's a place in Magnolia, right off of 1488, that I pass every time I go see my parents in The Woodlands. Every time I drive by, there's some ridiculous (sometimes racist) statements against President Obama. Now, it's a hardware store and I'm likely never to stop in Magnolia for hardware, but if I did, I'd find somewhere else to go. Not because he's a republican (I assume)...it's because I don't need to be preached to about politics when I want to buy some nails.

One other reason why I've continued my boycott against Chik-Fil-A...

IT'S THE PEACH BOWL, YOU BASTARDS...and you're a Georgia based company, for chrissakes.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Depends on how important the opinion is to me.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

That somebody is the mayor himself and he is well within his rights to encourage or discourage any business he wants, besides which this situation is not an every day one: it is a matter of the CEO of a company coming out against civil rights by saying in response to the question of whether or not the company spends an enormous amount of money opposing marriage equality, "Guilty as charged."

Were the mayor to ban Chik-fil-A, I think the ACLU would defend C-f-A as a freedom of speech issue, but to say, "You're not welcome here" is not only his right; it's his duty as a supporter of civil rights and as the leader of a city that has legalized marriage equality, a law this company fights to overturn.

I'm against boycotts in general because once you go down that rabbit hole you have to boycott everything. But this isn't like Coca-Cola or Domino's Pizza quietly supporting apartheid; this is the CEO plainly announcing that he and the company are "guilty as charged" in opposing civil and equal rights for LGBT. If you spend money there, you are too.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Remember Margaret Schott. She didn't break any laws at all. But that didn't mean anyone wanted to sit at a table with her.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Saying you like blue more than red is an opinion. This is about people having their rights denied. The only argument against it is a religious one and it boggles the mind that anybody who believes in our Constitution would believe that it's OK to use our government to deny people their rights for religious reasons.

12. percicles

percicles Member

Why the f-ck would I want to blow up the Chick-fil-A? It's f-cking delicious!

13. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

The only right they are being denied is a religious one. Be angry at the Government for not making all unions "civil" and taking religion out of it. Something tells me you'd still be against that, as well though.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Why is this #(*$^ still in the HANGOUT? :confused:
    Who's discriminating? :confused: I don't know of any time they didn't hire a homosexual man or lesbian... or that they didn't serve them CHICKEN. Chicken's good.

#34 SwoLy-D, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

That's not what he said at all. In fact, he said they do take money from homosexuals. Those that are discriminating are the "groups that do nothing but find ways to discriminate" that Chick-Fil-A funds.

1 person likes this.
  16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ OK. I got it now. :eek:

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Marriage is a human invention that existed before any of our current religions, atheists get married all the time. Plus, what we think of marriage vs how it's defined in the Bible is soooo different, it's laughable.

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AQgKx3dMiOMN08EpHLPFfg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AQgKx3dMiOMN08EpHLPFfg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

19. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

Ah, you're one of those "if Jon Stewart says it, it must be true" guys.

Regardless, having the Gov't make all unions civil would nip this in the bud.

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I go to a Methodist church and an Episcopal church (long story behind this). At the Episcopal church, we have an openly gay couple that attends. Doesn't bother me and I don't know why it should bother anyone else. I wonder what Truett Cathey would think of that?? No more Episcopalians to eat at Chick-Fil-A?? OH GNOES......(for the record I love eating there and would really hate to quit going there but they need to get with the times).