1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DRUG ADDICTION] How do I help a friend?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanI, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Serious problem here, guys.

I have an old, dear friend who is in the midst of a downward spiral.

She is a talented teacher, very nice, smart, funny gal. She started dating Guy #1 who smoked weed a lot. She started smoking with him. He moved in with her, basically floated from job to job (he's on disability due to a back injury), ended up unemployed, so he started dealing. He graduated from using/dealing weed to coke. Wasn't long before she started using that, too. They had a falling out, he got kicked out of her apartment, they "broke up" for just a bit, so she started seeing Guy #2. He's a complete psycho scumbag, also a coke head. Either due to his resources (he's dealing from one of the Mexican cartels) or her low self-esteem, she restarted things with Guy #1. So now, she's dating TWO scumbags simultaneously, using more and more coke, and in danger of losing her job. If she loses that, she's gonna end up dealing. She's going to end up killing herself. I know she has to WANT to get better, but I guess I'm clueless as to: 1.) how to help her find a path to recovery and 2.) how much to support her decision-making in the meantime.

TL;DR - Friend is using, gonna die. Wat do?

2. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

Have her sleep with a student.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Mexican cartels?

I assume you are a dude, so I would look to become TOO involved, or involved in a way you piss off these sorts of losers.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

In my personal experience it is very difficult to get an addict to stop using unless they truly want to or hit rock bottom.

5. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

I would call crime stoppers and give the name and location dealing drugs to the cartels and he will be arrested and her problem will be solved.

6. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DF0zefuJ4Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously . .. . . You are in quite the hard spot
    Tread carefully

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Stage an intervention with family and friends...and get her to voluntarily go into rehab.

Noone should be messing with coke at this point given what is known about it. She could drop dead just like that given the stress it puts on the heart along with other factors (such as arteriosclerosis, i.e. heart disease).

Like was said, she has to recognize she has a problem and want to get better.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

show her what you posting in the OP, and see her reaction. if she agrees take her to a rehab center. otherwise let it run its course

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

dude... as much as u wanna help...i feel you are veering way too close to this...get her help...and u should move on...

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Snitches get stiches, skylar.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just to clarify:

- I'm definitely keeping my distance from her because of these issues. I have no interest whatsoever in drugs (used weed once in my whole life) or the people she hangs out with. But she's still a friend, one I used to be quite close to, and I want her to be okay.

- I've actually thought about calling the cops on Guy #1 (as far as I know, Guy #2 isn't dealing, just using). Problem is: would that really fix anything? She'd still date Guy #2, and possibly seek out some Guy #3 for a new dealer, and odds are that guy will be much, much worse.

- @Surfguy: Thought of this, but her relationship with her parents is already pretty strained, and I'm not even sure they would participate in an intervention. And she's a bit overweight already, so her health is definitely a concern.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Things may get worse before they get better
    If she loses her job . . . next up is probably prostitution
    unless she can find another means of earning . . .

Is she aware she has an issue or is she in denial saying she can handle it?
    If she is in denial . . . i don't think you can do too much for her

Rocket River

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It would get a coke-dealer linked to the Mexican cartel off the streets? Isn't that a good thing?

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

That's what the OP doesn't want to happen.

How does a (school?)teacher get involved in this kind of stuff, anyway?

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

She needs to move away. She'll never get better if the drugs and bad influences are always around.

17. Precision340

Precision340 Member

it's hard to quit anything if the people you're constantly around are using... she needs to lose the scumbags before she moves on to crack!!!

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Question 1) Does she want your help?

If she violently refuses you should move on before you get yourself killed.

Question 2) Does she have family?

If you can, speak to them about intervening

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Try and let her know that you're concerned about her. Don't do it in a threatening way, just let her know, that you don't like what's happening to her.

Also be aware that it won't stop her from using right now. But the thing is that if enough people tell her she may examine it, and may do what it takes to stop. And when she does stop, she'll remember the people who were really looking out for her best interest.

1 person likes this.
  20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

holy crap, dude. do you get all your info from the wire?

if you can't speak from personal experience then you should probably keep the dramatics to yourself.

this is the most rational response in this thread.

1 person likes this.