1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gun Control in America.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by s land balla, Jul 20, 2012.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Now we are going to the realm of overkill.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

and it isn't a terrible debate. But one man's overkill is another man's "more effective". Personal choice is wonderful. But Like I said before the high speed low drag guys who only do CQB mostly have rifle cartridge kits.

3. AbrahamLincoln

If there was a move to recreate a ban on assault rifles I wouldn't be bothered. Pistols and rifles should always be allowed.

The second amendment should always be respected and the right to own arms is key to a persons freedom. It is important not only to protect ones home and family but to protect oneself from the government. It keeps the government honest.

Personally, I don't line up as a conservative on most issues. I pursued education in a liberal college on the east coast to get away form the conservative mentality. Gun control is an important issue. Making it illegal to own guns only benefits criminals who don't follow the law in the first place, so this type of regulation would be useless Be smart with guns, raise children to respect life and others lives.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the US Military, which doesn't mind engaging a whole host of people who want to kill themselves and a whole bunch of Army personnel in chaotic hell-swept deserts half a world away from America won't exactly have a problem with private citizens stockpiling AKs.

Rule of law keeps government honest. The Supreme Court keeps Congress honest. The Senate keeps the House of Representatives honest. Every elected body is kept honest by democratic votes. There is a fine balence of powers that is already sketched out in America. Citizens toting guns will do nothing to change that.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

To me, you keep the regulation and banning where it is. If you check it does exists. no one can have nuclear weapons, or true bonafide military weapons. The last time we had a mass shooting with true machine guns that I remember was in LA 97, and no innocent people got killed. We don't base what we can have on whether we need it or not. otherwise, sports cars, tobacco, sports, puppy dogs, etc. would be banned. You have regulation and ban enough. Millions of people have multiple guns like me. I am stockpiling MORE ammo than the evil loser that killed people did. ...and yet I went to the movies, I have kids over. 99.9% of the general population that can pass ATF4473 background checking do so because they are normal people. Restriction of rights could save lives, it could stop 9/11, it could stop highway deaths...if only we restrict and infringe on rights more,...but I'd rather NOT live in that world. out of my cold hands. ...maybe it's time for me to have that CCW after all.

1 person likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What do you do 100 or 500 years from now when the hand held weaponscan vaporize a building? Are those hand guns?

7. Northside Storm

Do you have any qualms about Third Amendment violations as well?

I'd also be curious to know your positions on the Fourth Amendment and Eighth Amendment.

In any case, it's intresting how a lot of gun people have gotten to the argument that "guns are my right, I don't want to live in a world without rights.". :confused:

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

anything that could cause that much destruction would be off limits to civilians 500 yrs. from now, just as it is now...c'mon man!

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are pickup trucks designed to kill people? The point that you are missing is that things like pickup trucks are designed for other purposes than killing people while handguns and assault rifles are designed only for killing people and thus make it much easier. While yes if crazies couldn't get guns they very well might use something else that said it is harder to kill a lot of people with something else than a tool specifically designed to kill.

Consider if your argument was relevant that things like pickup trucks are so deadly why then did Jared Loughner, Holmes, Cho and etc not just use a pickup truck to mow down people when it would've been far far easier and cheaper for them to get a pickup truck? They used guns because guns made it far far easier for them to kill.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am going to point out something else. Jared Loughner used a 9mm pistol with a high capacity magazine. He was only stopped when he ran out of ammo.

11. Northside Storm

Chlorine and ammonia in small quantities is okay because they have obvious non-lethal uses. However, you buy too much of the bad stuff (say the components nesscesary to start a meth lab) and you'll have quite a few federal agencies up your ass soon, DEA included (and they are nasty).

Again, the components of pipe bombs also have non-lethal uses as well.

Ref, is it just me, or do people who like gun rights have very vivid imaginations? Remind me when the great wave of pickup truck murders begins, then maybe we can talk about installing pillows in the front of pickups or something.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This made sense in the era of muskets and cannons. It doesn't make sense against drones, tanks, Apache helicopters, stealth bombers and all the Pentagon has at its disposal today.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are something like 300 million guns in the country. There might be a few million folks in the armed service. In guerrilla warfare it doesn't matter if you have drones, tanks, helicopters etc. as shown by the many conflicts over the last 20 years. Do you honestly believe the people in the US army would start shooting against Americans?

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Like during the civil war?

15. Northside Storm

If you don't, then what the hell is the point of having "guns as self-defense against the government"?

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are talking about a govt. that was so oppressive people would take up arms against it. If it's that oppressive, and citizens were attacking the govt. then it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the military to attack citizens.

If the govt. never would get that out of control, then it doesn't matter as far as stopping the govt. that people are armed.

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I say f**k it. Let us toss all the gun laws and make owing a gun as easy as possible. Everyone in America should at least owning one gun and be able to carry it all the time. For ppl whose income under poverty line, they should be allowed to buy fire arms with food stamps. Owning a gun is a fundamental right, so you shouldn't deny people's rights because they are poor.

I am sure the crime rate will be way down and the bad guys will be scared to death since all the good guys have guns now.

And I don't think Americans are totally "free" until citizens are allowed to own tanks, helicopters and missiles. I mean, you are talking about people have to protect themselves from government, right? You think owning a AR-15 and a couple thousand bullets is enough against government? Come on now.

#297 ivanyy2000, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What if it was a law that every American gun carried a gun with them at all times. Would be an interesting social experiment. Would it increase or decrease gun crimes? Could it would work like having a nuclear bomb as nuclear deterrent?

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes in the old west when everyone carried guns, there was certainly no lawlessness.

20. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html