1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Leaving to go where?

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dude, have you seen what Orlando fans think of the guy? If you think for a second that Howard's earning potential in Orlando would be on par with what he can get in Houston or anywhere else, you are simply delusional. My god Dwight Howard basically has done everything possible to make that entire city hate him.

The last time I checked, Houston fans don't hate him. People here only hate the fact that he doesn't want to be here. Once he says he'll be here, people will love him just like they loved ex-malcontent T-Mac.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Who says Orlando doesn't want to keep him? Howard doesn't want to be in Orlando. Howard flinched last year and decided to stay with Orlando "to look like the good guy".

Orlando has to move him to get something in return so 1) they don't look like a complete embarrassment of a front office and 2) they try to keep the franchise relevant.

The GM of a team has to grade talent, put rosters together and try to win a championship. They also have to bring in players and assemble a team that will put asses in the stands who pay a lot of money to go watch the game.

Orlando is in the situation where they need to get something back for Howard (who is gone regardless) so the least they can do is put fans in half of the seats so the owner only loses $30 million instead of $60 million.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Rockets have confirmed the Omer Asik offer sheet was delivered to the Bulls &amp; Chicago has until Tuesday at 10:59pm central to match.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/227149171491225600" data-datetime="2012-07-22T21:12:37+00:00">July 22, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Dallas or Atlanta.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

And I still doubt that. There is no reason for him to go to either city other than pure spite.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You assume he will come here and be happy to be a Rocket and won't complain. Don't give me that he knows this is last shot thing because athletes are a lot dumber than you think. Who would think Kenny Britt would be dumb enough to get another dwi this summer? Who would think Dez Bryant would be dumb enough to attack his mom and risk his career? Athletes are often dumb and self destructive. i don't find it hard to believe that Howard will come here and make the fans hate him as much as they did in Orlando.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Mark Cuban and his hometown or two solid reasons.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Morey and Les aren't as dynamic of personalities as Cuban but Les is clearly willing to spend and Morey is clearly one of the smarter GMs in the game. I don't see much of a practical difference there.

Howard has basically cut his ties with Atlanta and said he doesn't want to play there even though it's his hometown.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Maybe Howard agrees with you but maybe he prefers Cuban. You shouldn't say things like it will only be spite when there are other reasons.

12. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I think if it comes down to Houston or Atlanta he chooses Atlanta. His buddy Josh Smith will be the big draw there. He may may not want to play there - but he doesn't want to play here either!! Houston just doesn't have the 2nd star (no Lin doesn't count) to keep him here. Now if Morey has a plan to get him that 2nd star I retract my previous statement, but don't expect Howard to help recruit that 2nd star when he's trying to get elsewhere at the same time.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Thing is he would be losing 30m to go to Dallas also and he wouldn't be in that better of a position to win a ship playing there.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe in a vacuum that could be true, but not if he's leaving $30M on the table. I seriously doubt ATL and Josh Smith are worth that much dough to Dwight.

15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

...and back too you Omer!

16. mazinger

mazinger Member

Dude!!! IF Williams, who is from Dallas didn't go to Dallas, what makes you or anyone think Howard will sing with Dallas? Howard will resign with whichever team he's in by the end of next year.

17. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Ever heard that old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"? I think you could apply that to Howard here. After all this crap with Orlando the last 2 years has lead me to believe he is just the individual who would do just that to stick it to the team who didn't give him what he wants.

18. vince

vince Member

Omer should officially be a houston Rocket soon :)

Oh, and what can Dallas offer Orlando for Dwight? They don't even really own their own 1st round pick. The Rockets lay some claim to it until certain conditions are met.

19. conquistador#11

very true. emperor cuban has lost his touch.
    the only people that think he would sign in dallas are the maury bashers and espn, once the teams they got a hard on no longer have any real shot

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Espn radio in Dallas only gives Dallas a 20% chance of landing Howard. That's from the homer base of the mavs.