1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your secret to losing belly fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gambingo, Jul 22, 2012.

1. gambingo

gambingo Member

I've been working out for the past 3-4 weeks and i'm seeing changes in the rest of my body except around my freaking belly:(. I really want to get this 37" waist down to like 32." Got any tips guys beside running? I've been doing about 2-3miles/day of running/walking and though i enjoy running, it hasn't been fun at all with this constant soreness in my ankles and knees, and shins burn.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mIvj6HmHBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

All you've been doing is running? Running alone will not help much.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've lost around 35 pounds in the past 5-6 months without any extreme measures. I went from 186 to 150. I don't have any advice on getting sculpted abs, but I went from a 34-35 inch waist to 29-30 inch. I didn't do anything special other than reduce calories and increase my exercise. I didn't do any crazy workout routine (only forms of exercise are elliptical machine and going for walks).

I didn't really change what I eat, but rather how much and how often I eat of certain things. I still eat fast food, I still drink beer, I still enjoy pizza, but I just have much much less of it. Instead of having a bagel with cream cheese or toast, eggs, and bacon for breakfast, I eat greek yogurt and a banana. Instead of going out for lunch five times a week, I bring a sandwich and a small portion of chips for lunch. I go out for lunch once every week or two. I switch out a deep dish from Pizza Hut for a bowl from Chipotle. I cook at home a lot more, but no crazy health foods or stupid fad diets. I still go out on the weekends and allow myself to consume more on Friday night and Saturday, but I don't go crazy. Instead of having pizza and a six pack of beers, I might go out for a couple of slices and a couple of beers.

Losing weight is really incredibly simple. You just need to be patient and disciplined. Don't think about the results you are seeing in a few weeks, but a few months. Don't do any extreme diets, rather focus on how you can make changes to your lifestyle that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

#4 SirCharlesFan, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. gambingo

gambingo Member

I've been doing other workouts with a resistance tube in addition to pushups, crunches, and pullups. I haven't touch any weight though, not really a type of person to go to the gym, i prefer working out outdoors.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you kidding? Running can be his sole form of exercise if he wants to burn fat. Your body utilizes fat globally during aerobic exercise, so the type does not matter as much as the quantity.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You could take CLA...maybe even some type of aid that helps build muscle.

http://www.naturalnews.com/006981.html

You maybe stuck with it.

1 person likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Weighted ab exercises, sprint, and squats. All that would build muscle and trigger higher metabolism. "just drop your bodyfat and you'll get abs" advice is bologna.

1 person likes this.
  9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Keto diet. I have lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure, running can be his sole form of exercise, but that would be an incredibly inefficient way of losing fat. In fact, if you are only running, then from a cardiovascular perspective, you are doing incredible things for your body...but from a physical perspective, you're almost wasting your time. Will you eventually get results? Yes, but at a very, very slow rate.

There is a big difference with long distance running and sprinting...there is also a huge difference when water is involved, such as with swimming. The thermodynamic effect of water in regards to calorie burning is immense.

Also, to lose fat, weight training is essential. More muscle mass = higher metabolic rate. You lose muscle mass with long distance running, so it is, in some ways, counter productive.

Finally...diet is the single most important way to lose fat. If one person eats 4 big mac meals a week, but runs a full marathon a week...that's worse than someone who eats 2 big mac meals a week and doesnt exercise. In other words, exercise is a total waste of time if the diet isnt there.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I can lose 7 lbs in four days if I cut salt. But I like salt.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dropping body fat does get you abs...but to drop body fat, you need to have a mixture of different workouts like you listed.

10-12% body fat and abs will show. That's the case in 99% of men.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah but thats if you already have abs. If I go bulking then decide to shred down I will have my abs. If I'm a skinny guy with a fat stomach and do nothing but running is no bueno. Technically everyone has abs but he wants some real abs.

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Where in his post does OP mention anything about abs?

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What I'm saying is that a lot advice gets misinterpreted. I want legs so I run a lot. Get your ass in the gym and do some squats!!

This trainer once told me he didn't do legs because he has two story house and that is sufficient.

16. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Diet affects your weight loss so much more than exercise. You need to cut out bad sugars (flour, alcohol) and replace them with better options like whole wheat. Watch your dairy intake (eliminate it completely for fastest results) and don't skip meals.

I've lost insane amounts of fat (you will lose water weight at the beginning) in short periods of time simply by eating "clean." 5-10 lbs lost in the first 1-2 weeks is not uncommon.

Of course cardio helps and be sure to lift weights and exercise every muscle group regularly. Eat right, exercise and sleep well and you could lose the 5 inches off your waist in 3-4 months.

Feel free to message me through here and I'll give you a sample of how I eat when I am trying to lean down. Sustaining a clean diet over a long period of time will lead to burnouts.

1 person likes this.
  17. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Those of you saying running isn't a good way to lose fat are wrong. To really see results in belly fat one has to run daily, and more that just 1-2 miles. I used running as my only source for weight lost and lost 60 lbs. I even had an advantage then since I don't live in Houston anymore -- running in humidity.

Second of all, it's only been a month. You're not going to see results until you're months in. But you have to step it up in how long you're running and how often, of course. And like many have said, nutrition is key to weight loss. You're definitely not going to see results if you're eating **** and working out.

Also, what you can do to maintain a healthy frame and not look skimpy from running is push ups, pull ups, body dips and other body-weight resistance workouts.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Just weight yourself at different points in the day. You can put on and lose 5 pounds in a day without even trying.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what's your diet? i hear people say, "i don't know why i can't get great abs because i've been working out for months."

*sips their third margarita of the night*

20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

If he can sit upright, he has abs.