1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Courtney Lee traded to Celtics!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Unless Moore moves his guarantee date back, which doesn't make sense for him to do because he'll get nothing when he gets cut, then I don't see this deal getting done without that 3rd party's help.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I havent read the responses...actually just noticed the trade now...clearly a move to allow the Rockets to bring in an extra bad contract from Orlando.

Its becoming more and more evident that Dwight is coming to Houston.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Good for Lee. He can fill in that Ray Allen role for them real nice. Its a good fit.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We also have asik most likely coming in, don't you think this trade is more likely with making room for asik then for a dwight trade?

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

or bynum...and maybe we're giving up less assets in exchange for a bad contract as part of the 3way deal??

I feel like all the recent noise about dwight willing to sign long-term with LAL and this LA-CLE-ORL bs trade that Orlando is getting more desperate, Houston might rethink dwight and go Bynum, and LA just wants Dwight.

So we maybe give up a ton of filler, raptors pick, 2 2nd rounders, martin, 1 asset (rook or patterson/morris), and take on 1-2 bad contracts. No more for Bynum.

6. rezdawg

We didnt need to make the trade to clear room for Asik. We also didnt need to make the trade to clear room for Howard...however, we could clear more room to acquire an extra bad contract in a trade.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Unless Jajuan isn't traded to a third team, the Rockets added more to their payroll. CLee is a free agent.

8. rezdawg

We'd be trading the other two non guaranteed contracts to match incoming contracts.

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets better keep Johnson if the trade is good, because the Timberwolves are interested in signing Jon Lueur.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I get it my bad, we can trade or unguarantee'd contracts which can be waived by the other teams for a guarantee'd contract.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

there was still a cap hold for Lee figured in on the cap figures even after his QO was withdrawn.

12. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Are we keeping Sean Williams? He can BLOCK shots.

13. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I meant Jon Leuer. Timberwolves are interested in getting him.

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

CLee's rights were counting against our cap. Not anymore. We took on a little over $1M in salary in JJJ. Everyone else was non-guaranteed. Also got a valuable early 2nd-rounder in the trade.

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me try to put a little meat on the bone of what others have said. As a first round pick you get a contract that is guaranteed for three years. There is a rookie scale for salaries and I think the 30th pick gets something in the $100,000 to $300,000 range per year. It also takes up a roster space for that three years.

As a second round pick you get zero guarantees. We have had some cases in the past where Morey structured second rounders contracts to be partially guaranteed in the second or third years. This means they may be trade asset (to a team that wants to shed salary) if the player does not work out talent wise. IE you could trade a $million player for another $million player, then cut the non guaranteed player - what we are trying to do in the Howard scenario where we take on 'bad' contracts.

There is also the concept that there as you go further down the draft, the difference in the players talent narrows. So for example there may be a huge difference in talent between the 1st pick in the draft and the 10th pick, bu there is less of a talent gap between number 25 and number 35. But the number 25 player (first round pick) gets a guaranteed salary for three years, while the number 35 player (second round pick) has no guarantees attached.

So a whole lot more flexibility for what is expected to be a small talent gap. Charlotte's pick could easily be number 31, 32 or 33. That really is better than say Miami's pick at number 29 or 30.

In fact if I remember correctly we once traded a first rounder for a second rounder straight up. Number 30 for number 31. I'm thinking it was Laundry we got, or was it the guy who got bit in the face by some management guy's dog. Anybody remember?

1 person likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ok, went back 4 pages to where I left off. Wondering why this thread sticky'd, which usually means something official happened? What's up?

17. Garner

Garner Member

No clue, a tweet went out saying there was a snag in the trade- I haven't seen anything since.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Rockets get a 2nd round pick from Charlotte that Boston owned along with JaJuan Johnson,E'Twaun Moore and Sean Williams in Courtney Lee deal

As per Marc Spears

Deal is apparently done.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, if mods are reading this. As soon as the OP gets [Official] status, please edit the OP with the final facts.

It's so hard to tract the facts in these big threads.

20. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I was wondering the same thing.