1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics emerge as serious suitor for Lee, Rockets open to sign&trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 8, 2012.

1. RomeoLimaDos

RomeoLimaDos Member

Jajuan Johnson

Yay...another power forward...I'm ecstatic.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Could be.

The way E'Twaun Moore's contract is structured, it is non-guaranteed, becoming fully guaranteed if he is not waived by the day of the last summer league game his team is playing in. The Rockets are done in Vegas. The Celtics are still playing.

The issue is whether the Rockets would be able to waive Moore immediately and not have to pay his salary.

This should be interesting.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Easy solution: send him to the Bulls, whose summer league season is not over yet. Have the Bulls waive Moore.

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Either that, or ask the people running the summer league if the Rockets can have an impromptu extra summer league game! ;)

5. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Well they never did finish that game where Nolan Smith got hurt...

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Talk about awkward

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Why would the Bulls help out the Celtics? :)

8. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah kinda feel bad for some of these players.

9. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Etwan Moore has nice potential

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

he'd be waived before he even touches foot in houston if we get him.

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I am a bit confused. We traded for JaJuan Johnson or E'Twaun Moore?

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lee brought tangibles and intangibles to the team. I will miss him a lot.
    Good Luck!

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Instead of just letting him walk we make sure he doesn't improve a conference rival, and get a pretty good asset in return. Boston and Lee couldn't have hooked up without our help. Everybody wins

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

good call...seems this is the case, to trade to a team with another game left.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Sorry, but I wanted to bump this to note that I may have misinterpreted (what little information I had on) E'Twaun Moore's contract guarantee date.

It seems that his contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived on or before the last day of THE SUMMER LEAGUE, not the day of his team's last game during the summer league.

That makes much more sense, as it does not punish a team for scheduling its games early in the summer league. It also avoids the silliness about which I was speculating, where teams who are simply playing games later in the summer league schedule would need to be used to dump a guy with Moore's guarantee date.

So, unless Morey can pull off a trade of Moore in the next couple of hours, expect him to be waived today.

Carry on, and my apologies for any prior confusion.

1 person likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I miss him already. He would have complemented Lin (and Howard) extremely well. Lee was a better fit than even the more offensively talented Martin.

I wish him luck except when we face one another. As for Moore, he wants to be reunited with Thibs.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

This makes far more sense. Thanks for clarifying this Bima.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yet another source that fails to live up to the Adrian Wojnarowski standard....

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Bump.

I wanted to update the people on this BBS who might actually care (which I assume is only about 5-6 of you) about the E'Twaun Moore situation.

According to a source, it turns out the whole "ordeal" about which I wrote in this thread regarding Moore's contract WAS ACTUALLY REAL! (I feel somewhat vindicated in that, to my knowledge, I was the ONLY human being writing about this issue.)

Apparently, the Rockets consummated the Courtney Lee sign-and-trade with the understanding that Moore's contract would not be guaranteed until the last day of the summer league. But after the trade went through, Moore and his agent claimed that the contract actually read that his salary was 50% guaranteed once his TEAM finished playing in the summer league. The Celtics had finished summer league play just before the Lee sign-and-trade went through, but the summer league had not yet finished up.

There were some behind-the-scenes negotiations between the Rockets and Moore's camp over whether Houston would actually have to pay Moore that money ($381,098). That money owed to Moore is reflected both on ESPN's Trade Machine and on shamsports.com.

This went on for weeks, until not long ago, when the parties reached a settlement. Under the terms of the settlement, Moore is to receive approximately $330,000 from Houston.

What does this mean for the Rockets?

It means that the Rockets now have approximately $50,000 or so in additional cap room to use at the trade deadline.

Is this a significant sum? Probably not.

Will it radically alter the Rockets' trade deadline plans? No.

Do you even care about this as you're reading it? (I think we all know that answer to this one.)

Bottom line: Go ahead and boost that "Available Cap Room" figure you see on ESPN's Trade Machine by $50,000 or so.

Oh, and I win the internet on this particular issue! :grin:

5 people like this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

They can sign me to a full year of servitude for that 50,000, but something tells me they'll waste it on a deal for an all-star.