1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Nero

Nero Member

Ummm...

Didn't want to start a whole new thread about this, but maybe it should be, eventually anyway.

Thinking into the future a little bit here..

Regardless of how DH or Lin or Asik sagas turn, I am now kind of setting my sights on the future, and wondering the following:

How do we inoculate Parsons against just such an attack from another team?

I do not know enough of the information or details about the CBA to be able to answer it at all, but it does seem to me like we should be working as hard as possible as soon as possible to lock the guy up with a reasonable long-term deal.

Any of you nuts-and-bolts guys wanna take a stab at it?

1 person likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Who would have thunk the Lin saga would take the spotlight from the Dwight saga?

3. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Yes, I've thought about this.

I assume it will change the stance of "no extensions". When we have someone we definitely would like to keep in the future, it wouldn't surprise me to see us "lock him up" with an extension before something like this happens.

(although, there may not be too many teams willing or in the position to be able to do what we're trying to do)

4. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Who would thunk that we went from a PG surplus to no PG in less than a month

5. Pete the Cheat

under the old CBA the team took on a no extension policy to let the market dictate our players salaries.

considering Morey was the first to exploit a loophole in the new CBA, I would assume the front office will also be adopting a new MO on player extensions.

fortunately Parsons is under team control (for less than $1MM) for another 3 years...so there is plenty of time to get a baring on extension/matching stradegies

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Gilbert Arenas rule is only for rookies on contracts for 2 or less years.

7. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

I half agree with you.
    Aaron brooks is no starting pg
    But have him back up Lin and be our 6th man
    Everyone seems to forget how clutch he can be remember the alley oop finished against l.a in the playoffs.

I'm just sayin he's perfect in the fact that they originally got him to play with Yao a true center to go in and out with. Now bring him back with dhoward. I think you hit the reset button and all is well. China I think matured brooks into a humble veteran now.

As long as he can come cheap and comes off the bench you have to consider it.

And don't tell me he can't defend. I know he can't defend. Neither can Lin. But lee can and parsons can and you have Howard blocking the paint out. Lin and brooks are both fast enough to fit in this defensive scheme.

8. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Give him an extension before he hits the market like the clipps just did with Blake griffen

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

There's a reason why Morey gives all of his second rounders four-year deals.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

And this whole time, I thought Sigmund was an adult...lol @ me for arguing with an 8 year old.

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

LMAO did you see the video of him interview fellow grade school students?? For a middle schooler, I gotta say his grammar and syntax aren't bad.

12. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

interviewing*

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

What a little douche. Brings shame to the Filipino community.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    Knicks worked hard to delay receipt of offer sheet Friday, Saturday, though the Rockets consider it in theird hands. NBA has not commented.

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    Rockets operating on belief NY has until 11:59east Tue to match Lin sheet. NY "disputing" Rockets, Players Association position, per source.

15. tefunk

tefunk Member

Sam Amick
    More Jeremy Lin fun continues from Vegas: it appears the Knicks and Rockets don't see eye to eye when it comes to whether or not the Houston offer sheet was submitted formally yesterday and if the deadline for New York to match the offer is Tuesday at 11:59.59. The teams wouldn't comment on record, and a league spokesman said to contact the teams. As I wrote in a piece that will be up soon, the silliness continues...

http://sulia.com/channel/basketball/f/5768e8cf-8567-493e-bde5-9352ba864f1b/?source=twitter

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

WTF is this crap? So it's possible the Knicks could argue they haven't received the offer yet and drag this out even longer?

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Calling Godfather Stern, calling Godfather Stern...

18. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

I predicted this long time ago.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Knicks FO is looking uglier by the hour.

20. tefunk

tefunk Member

Silliest of summers continues as Rockets, Knicks battle over Lin

LAS VEGAS -- George Karl is never one to mince words. The Nuggets coach paused for only a half-second or so before deciding how to describe the first real offseason of the NBA's post-lockout era.
    "This summer has kind of been, I don't know what the word is other than foolish," said Karl, who has been outspoken against the league's star culture that he was once a part of before Carmelo Anthony was traded to New York two seasons ago. "I just think there's some wild and crazy mentalities going on out there."
    Karl didn't pinpoint one particular situation, but he didn't have to. Whether it's the Dwight Howard saga that has long since bordered on absurd, the doling out of max contracts to players who are hardly superstar material or the high stakes games being played between rival teams and their respective payrolls with poison pill provisions and such -- this has been the summer of silliness. Jeremy Lin stands front and center at the moment, the poster boy for the problems that still plague this league in what was supposed to be a more prudent time.
    Speaking of Linsanity ...
    If the Knicks decide to match Houston's three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet to Lin by Tuesday's apparent 11:59 deadline (more on that later), despite having landed Raymond Felton on Saturday, then the point guard whose exciting 25-game stretch last season sparked all of this madness would be set to earn a whopping $14.8 million in the 2014-15 season. To wit: Lin -- who would earn a mere $5 million in the first season and $5.2 million in the second -- would make 84 percent of what LeBron James will earn next season (approximately $19 million) and slightly more than Knicks center Tyson Chandler is scheduled to make ($14.5 million).
    While New York's next move remains to be seen, it's worth noting that Felton's camp did his deal with the understanding that Lin was not likely to be retained. There continues to be conflicting information about Felton's deal and the sign-and-trade with Portland, as a source close to him insists it's a four-year deal worth approximately $18 million while other reports peg it at three years and $10 million. A source close to Lin told SI.com at midday Sunday that he had not been informed as to what the Knicks would do.
    The Rockets need a point guard and are hoping they've landed Lin, but they won't receive word until the most obvious of cat-and-mouse games that they've played a major part in is over. Houston made this situation the oddity that it is, at first offering Lin a more reasonable deal with approximately $9 million in the final two seasons of a four-year deal (fourth year not fully guaranteed) before restructuring it to make the Knicks' life even more miserable and up their chances at landing the formerly undrafted and twice-waived player.
    Then came the Knicks' counter punch, a mysterious delay to this process Saturday when Rockets officials spent much of the day in Las Vegas trying to deliver the offer sheet but being unable to find Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald. And while reports indicated that the offer sheet was eventually delivered to the Knicks' New York offices via courier and thus started the timeline up to Tuesday's deadline, the involved teams are now sending mixed signals as to whether or not that is the case. A league spokesman said the teams would need to speak on the matter, though neither would officially. Again, the silliness abounds.
    Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony wasn't afraid to state the obvious Saturday, when he deemed the Lin contract "ridiculous" while speaking to reporters in Washington D.C. at Team USA practice. It's not clear whether he meant the poison pill aspect or the deal as a whole, but he's safe in saying that this simply isn't the way teams were intended to go about filling their rosters.
    As Anthony's comments would suggest, there could be concerns among the Knicks about Lin's contract and how it would be perceived by his teammates as well. Veteran shooting guard J.R. Smith, for example, is a far more established player in the league yet he recently signed a two-year deal that will pay him $2.8 million in the first season and has a player option in the second. In an interview with SI.com on Sunday, Smith spoke as if Lin would not return to New York. The Knicks, however, have not indicated that they made a decision as yet.
    "I'm sure the city would love to have him back, but the team decided to go in a different direction," Smith said. "It's nothing personal, I don't think, just business. We just hope everybody can benefit from here.
    "I don't really know how Mr. Dolan feels at this point with what the luxury tax is now and what it used to be, but I just hope it works out the best for both of them."
    Asked if Lin's contract could cause a challenging dynamic with his teammates, Smith agreed.
    "Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."
    The true impact of the league's new collective bargaining agreement won't be known for a few more years, in large part because of the incredibly punitive luxury tax that doesn't kick in until the 2013-14 campaign, but this is the fork in the road that Commissioner David Stern envisioned during those negotiations when he so often preached about parity and increased economic efficiency for all. But as evidenced by Brooklyn's fearless (though futile) pursuit of Howard that came the risk of putting their payroll above $100 million and the fact that New York is still contemplating matching Lin, the fear factor doesn't seem to be kicking in just yet.
    Lin's case is unique, of course, with his ability to spike the Knicks' revenues globally meaning this is more about business than basketball. The Knicks clearly don't believe Lin is capable of taking over the team this season, hence they signed Felton and will now hope for a repeat of the 2010-11 campaign in which both Felton and the then-franchise centerpiece, forward Amar'e Stoudemire, were at their best. Jason Kidd, who signed a three-year, $9 million deal to join the Knicks, would play the veteran leadership role in the backup position. Yet beyond being the moneymaker, it remains to be seen exactly how Lin would fit into the basketball equation.
    Matching Lin's offer would have a major impact on the Knicks' payroll, with the numbers surely daunting even for an organization that -- with an assist from Lin -- always rakes in the dough. Matching the Lin offer means the Knicks would likely be slated to pay approximately $79 million for just five players in the 2014-15 season, at which point the price tag would start skyrocketing because of the tax implications. Starting in 2013-14, teams that are less than $5 million over the luxury tax threshold (which isn't yet known for that year but will likely be around $70 million) pay $1.50 for every dollar they are over the tax, while teams that are between $5 million and $10 million over pay $1.75 for every dollar over, teams that are $10 to $15 million over pay $2.50 for every dollar over and teams that are $15 to $20 million over pay $3.25 for every dollar over and there are subsequent fifth center increases for each additional $5 million over. And should a team stay in the tax for four out of five seasons, those rates increase by a dollar in each respective category. A financial day of reckoning awaits, in other words.
    The silliest of summers, indeed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/15/jeremy-lin-rockets-knicks-free-agency/index.html