1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can the NBA do if shoe companies start interfering with rosters?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jevjnd, Jul 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Ever since hearing of the potential $200 million shoe deal for Howard, I've been entirely against trading for him. If that offer from Adidas is true and it's contingent upon him playing in one of those two markets, there's absolutely no way that we get to keep him. I kind of like our rookies, because I feel that they'll grow despite getting pounded on this year, which should net us a high pick. The bigger issue to me is outside companies interfering with player decisions as would be the case here. I'm sure that Adidas has a strong relationship with the NBA, but it seems that their proposal undermines everything the lockout was intended to accomplish. My question to anyone with knowledge is, if this is indeed true, what can and should the NBA do?

I'm adding sources which both point back to David Pingalore of WKMG, Orlando. The local Channel 6 affiliate there.

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/...kers/-/1636890/15515918/-/dsasas/-/index.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...oward-likely-to-leave-magic-wkmg-reports.html

#1 jevjnd, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

This part isn't true. It's literally impossible for Howard to get to one of those markets unless we help him do so via trade.

But yes, I wish the NBA could do something about this problem. I just don't know how they could as it will be difficult to regulate and hard to get past the union.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

There isn't a way to fix this. Big Market teams will always have the advantage. Just thank your lucky stars that this isn't the MLB.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are a superstar it doesn't matter where you play. Do you think Lebron had trouble selling shoes in Cleveland?

1 person likes this.
  5. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah no one knows about this Kevin Durant kid in OKC

6. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

It's not about people knowing who you are or not, it's about the shoe companies throwing money at you. Are you saying that people don't know about Dwight Howard? Of course everyone knows who he is, but this shoe deal apparently matters enough to him to drastically change his decision-making process. That's clearly what this is about. The same goes for Durant I would think at some point in time.

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

don't know what the NBA can do but fans outside of NY & LA shouldn't buy adidas. if the adidas bonus really dwarfs what D-Ho loses by walking, they're (adidas) taking a direct shot at smaller market teams.

should be some bad pub & lost customers consequences.

8. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Where did the $200 million number come from? Is it credible? Max NBA salaries would be much smaller than that. If the difference in shoe money is half that, star players would be willing to play for the minimum just to be in a big shoe market.:confused:

9. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

10. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

It was rumored, but not confirmed, that Adidas offered Dwight a $400 million deal if he went to the Nets.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Easy fix. Make the Rockets a big market team.

12. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They just did it. There are only so many roster spots in NY and LA. And the repeater's tax on teams above the tax line is going to crush them. There's only so many holes they can walk through before they gotta spread the wealth.

We are going to find out the media impact of cities like NY and LA is going to be balanced out by the global impact of putting championship teams on the floor. Knicks have screwed up their cap for the time to come, so has Brooklyn. Odds of either team winning a championship in the next 3 years.... probably about 5%. Nets have an outside chance but I serously doubt they can make it.

Lakers have the same problem on the other coast. Don't care how much money you bring in, you gotta give a bunch of it back in the new CBA.

Give it time. You are going to find out the new CBA is the equalizer.

14. Third eye

Third eye Member

So collusion-conflict of interests do exist...who knows if mr russian Prov billionaire didn't throw into that pile to "invest"
    -too me this is collusion
    -too me this is the downfall of the NBA
    -the money is so high right now that it will ceiling out, and then
    the NBA will throw higher n higher contracts out (without the money to
    Bring them bk to break even)-and teams will start to need bailout money
    like some teams that are having this happen now, bc role players are signed
    for even more than what they're worth compared to a superstar's overpaidness.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets fans shouldn't complain. When Deke signed his last contract he chose Houston over the Celtics because of the Yao Ming bonus in his chinese shoe contract.

16. cuddie

cuddie Member

Depending on how much the incentives in his contract are worth, this could definitely destroy our chances of having him re-sign. Our whole gambit was that he wouldn't leave money on the table by going elsewhere; money that can be made up through his shoe contract. This has me concerned.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Even assuming this is all true, it's not the downfall of the NBA.

Remember we regular posters on Clutchfans are a rare breed, and we'll continue supporting our team no matter how terrible it is. But MOST NBA fans just want to watch the Heat or the Lakers and follow 2-3 players around and buy all of their merchandise. It's probably in the league's interest for LA, Miami, and New York to generate 90% of merchandise revenue.

18. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Howard and Rose are the two big reps for Adidas. Rose's deal was $186 million over 13 years. That's why Adidas was so worried when there was talk of Chicago going after Dwight. Can't have both you're reps in the same location.

19. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

20. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

So what would stop Nike or whoever from making multi-million dollar deals with a bunch of all-stars to all sign with *insert large market team here* for the league minimum? I mean, who cares WHERE the money is coming from as long as you're getting paid, right?