1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: New trade offer in works (for Dwight Howard)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jul 13, 2012.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is that DM has decided that taking back bad contracts might be preferable to giving up too many good young players. He certainly won't take bad contracts AND give up all the youngsters. Anyone who thinks Morey will get fleeced in this deal simply hasn't been paying attention the last few years.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

We actually couldn't. There are multiple clauses in the NEW CBA that prevent it.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Thats my thinking too. Its all an open table negotiation. The Rockets have shown their willingness to deal anyone at any time FOR THE RIGHT PRICE. Morey has the best hand to play here. Im all for him taking his time this summer to pay exactly what he needs to, and not a dollar more.

Everyone is in a hurry I know, but this a poker game for the ages. This thing is going to drag on for awhile unfortunately, but the Rockets will be better in the longrun for it.

4. rterry

rterry Member

I agree with this. Morley and his team are obviously very good talent evaluators. I think there is at least one of the latest draft class that he sees something special. My guess is Royce White. The one I think is going to surprise everyone is Terrence Jones.

5. moreyball

moreyball Member

Is it the GM's responibility to know all the rules of the CBA or they got legal advisors for that?? If GM's gotta know, then they're really smart. I'm looking through the CBA and I'm getting confused by all the numbers :confused:

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't worry. He won't be playing by himself because we are going to get all of Orlando's dead weights back. You know all those guys Superman didn't think was good enough for him. :grin:

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

The GM of a team probably has a pretty good understanding of the CBA but they also have people that work for them who do nothing but understand the CBA. The league also has lawyers who do nothing but understand the CBA and analyze every transaction for CBA compliance.

8. moreyball

moreyball Member

pshh...why would Duwight be playing with himself on the court. That's why teams got draft picks to surround superstars with other players

9. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Theoretically, who would Howard want to sign with that either has cap space or would be able to create cap space if he remained with Orlando this season? I'm guessing Dallas since it would be the biggest TV market and has a star (albeit an old one). Is it remotely possible that it would be Houston?

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Does anyone think the Rockets and Magic are holding off on this trade until tomorrow because it's Friday 13? Reasons:

1) The Rockets don't want Dwight who may be a superstitious athlete to relate something negative to being traded to Houston.
    2) Magic fans will be upset no matter what they get for Dwight and they will hate it more on this day thinking their favorite franchise has nothing but bad luck.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fig%2Fmodules%2Fgoogle_insightsforsearch_relatedsearches.xml&amp;up__results_type=TOP&amp;up__property=empty&amp;up__search_term=lol+wut&amp;up__location=empty&amp;up__category=0&amp;up__time_range=3-m&amp;up__max_results=10&amp;synd=open&amp;w=320&amp;h=350&amp;lang=en-US&amp;title=Google+Insights+for+Search&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&amp;output=js"></script>

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

[​IMG]

13. phantoman

phantoman Member

i think by now houston's offer is going to set them up the best in terms of rebuilding and cap space.. but the problem they have is the same problem we have... if 6% of all drafted players will yield you a super star... then by making a trade for cap and young players wont mean you'll get anywhere. Which is why they are holding out for an offer to bring them back at least an All star talent with cap flex and youth.....

That being said, I dont know what other teams are out there that would take D12 as a rental.... so they might end up having to take the Rockets deal, which is what I think Dmorey knows and is why he is being patient about it.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Dallas is the only team(that he would be interested in) that can sign him next season to anything more than the Mid-Level-Exception. All other teams with superstars will be well over the salary cap and CANNOT sign anyone over the lower-mid-level exception is they are a Luxury tax paying team.

Any other team would need to clear cap space before the summer to sign him or trade for him before the February trade deadline, unless a dark horse team like Sacramento suddenly crept up on everyone and signed him to the max.

Even then, Dwight will be leaving roughly 30 mil over the life of the contract on the table due Orlando(or the team he's traded to) owning his "bird rights."

15. leroy

leroy Member

Those numbers at the bottom of the page are called "page numbers". Don't worry about those and don't let them confuse you. They're only to tell you what page you're on.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketFan

RocketFan Member

Can you smell... What the ROCK is cookin'! :grin:

The Rock is also smelling something big between the Magic and the Rockets...

Something MORE electrifying than the biggest name in sports entertainment! Yes, the Rock said it and you heard it here first! :grin:

AND... If Dwight Howard doesn't resign with Houston then the Rock will fly down to Houston, knock on Dwight's door, and layeth the smackdown on his candy ass!

1 person likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Freddy to the rescue...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

GM Rob Hennigan when asked if any trade was imminent: ``Dinner is imminent.’’

Rob is a douche. We all know the Magic expected Blake Griffin for Howard. It's like he is trolling Morey or something. We are gonna exert all of our efforts into finding a new coach now kthnxbai. Uh, okay.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Just want to point out that Daryl Morey has said on the radio that he and Hennigan are very good friends. Let's keep in mind that things said to the press are irrelevant to what happens between them. I think both of them know exactly where they stand in the process at this point.