1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: New trade offer in works (for Dwight Howard)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Classic clutcfans. Don't focus on getting Dwight Howard, instead b**** and moan about losing a bunch of role players.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

How long will it take to get those role players? Through the draft. We need to get a superstar to come next summer. No way we can compete against LA, OKC, Miami and Indy with just Howard and role players.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Want and get are two different things.

What other choices do they have? Trade for Al Hordford or trade Howard at the deadline lmao!

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

people are underestimating (how, i don't know) how effing easy it is to get the team back to the exact state it is in right now (with different mid-round lottery picks in place of the ones we may be giving up).

and overestimating (how, i don't know) how effing hard it is to get your hands on a superstar.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Furthermore, this would put Orlando in our current situation. They will be looking for a high draft pick in the near future, and I don't think #14 for the next three years is what they want.

Getting rid of several bad contracts to allow future flexibility, and getting several useable players would be ideal for them.

Getting a full .500 squad would be a disaster for them.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

even harder to get a superstar to stay here....or wanting to stay

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Maybe we can include Mchale in the deal & hire Stan Van Gundy!:grin:

8. Asian Sensation

knock it off with the ****ing but Parsons. But Parsons. But Parsons nothing!!! I'm sick and tired of people wanting to hold on to Parsons like he's some franchise player that's untouchable like LeBron James or the white Scottie Pippen in his prime.

Yes I get that Parsons is on a very friendly contract, I realize he's a 2nd rounder that turned out well and made a name for himself in the league. Yes he's a hard-worker that makes the most of his limited skill-set. With all that said the dude is going to be no more than a career role player and players like him come around all the freaking time. Take him off your pedestal and quit overrating the guy and saying he's a deal breaker from acquiring the most dominant player in the NBA. I know Parsons has a cult like following on ClutchFans but it's not cute anymore. Be glad that he has blessed us with increasing his asset level for an opportunity to land us a Dwight Howard.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I would be aliitle mad we gave up Parsons but in all honesty I could careless about anyone else... No one we give up will be fair value for Dwight so don't get all pissy at us giving up a few rookies that ceiling would be maybe a starter on a playoff team!

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ah see, at first I thought of putting a million or two, then the risk may be worth it.

But IMO the risk is not worth it, so I settled on 50k. That way even if you do win the money you'll just have to spend it over again on the things you lost.

That's what this is to me because we'd acquire Dwight and then would have to build the team entirely up again. We'd have a backup PF...that's about it. Would need to fill every other position. The small 50K number represents the flexibility we will have left if we go through with that one.

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Well on the bright side we keep Motiejunas in this 'proposal'. :/

12. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Problems with this trade

1. A dwight trade would mean we aren't really in any position to sign or even trade for another star because we would have trash to trade and barely any cap room.

2. Dwight is trying to get away from the scrubs in Orlando, he doesn't want to play with them anymore. Shipping all those bad contracts with Dwight won't make Dwight stay in Houston.

3. If Dwight leaves after 1 season, we might be able to a sign and trade him, but I don't think we will get back near to what we would be trading for right now for him. So we are left with a trash team with crap contracts.

4. The rockets right now are going to be a bad team next season if they stay as is. Which is a good thing because it means we end up in the lottery probably between 1-8 then add torontos possible lottery pick and thats a good draft day. A Dwight trade ruins this and delays what the rockets really need to do and that is tank.

I am against this trade. The future does not look bright at all if Dwight is traded here. Cause I for one would rather have many years of a chance at success not 1 year of playoffs and knocked out 1st or 2nd round then crap for 5 years. Atleast with the guys we have now we can suck for a year and build towards having a team thats consistently in the playoffs and pushing towards nba finals and maybe titles

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right. I don't buy it at all. I don't think they even WANT Parsons, Patterson, and the like. I think they want draft picks and completely unproven guys with big upside.

I'm sure if they could they would take 3 draft picks, Motiejunas, White, Lamb, and Jones, while sending back all their bad contracts. That's probably the ideal trade from their perspective. They're not going to get their ideal trade though. It's a negotiation, Morey's not going to just give them a blank check.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, the issue is whether you have enough left in terms of both talent and cap flexibility in order to retain Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard might be persuaded by the $30M extra guaranteed money, but if you put him in a situation with no talent and full of bad contracts, he will still be more likely to bolt. Besides, getting him isn't the ultimate goal: winning a title is, and for that you need more talent, assets and cap flexibility. This is why some of us have reasonable concerns over "overpaying for Dwight Howard."

That said, I trust Morey and his team have done the #s calculation and mapped out what they can afford to lose and take on. I'm not going to freak out now until I see the final trade goes down.

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Uh, your right? lets not do the trade, so we have the role player power to compete with those teams you named?...

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't expect him to be cheap. I expect him to cost "a bit more" than the next best offer Orlando has on the table. There's no reason why our offer should be 100x better than the Nets deal that get talked about the past week. You just don't go from a $15mil/yr Brook Lopez to 2 lottery picks, 2 mid-1st rounders, two recent mid-1st rounders, and one of the better rookies of the past year.

It's like offering $100 to buy something that other people are willing to spend $20 on.

1 person likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Howard for that is a deal. Throw in a bunch of bad contracts and it's a completely different story. Find some sort of middle ground. Having said that, I think Morey makes a better deal than what Stein proposed. If Morey was really willing to give all that up I think this deal would have been done long ago.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Don't you try to start arguments with me, or I'll personally come to your house and circumcise your penis. You think you are right, but no, you know nothing about the current state of Rockets basketball, kiddo. Next time you hurl unsubstantiated comments at me you better watch your back.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question isn't any kind of personal attachment to Parsons, not to me at least. The question is whether, in the aggregate, HOU can have enough talent and flexibility left to (1) contend with Dwight Howard and (2) convince him to stay.

Parsons is one piece of it. He does not have super high ceiling, but is a good role player with a cheap contract, which is what a team with Dwight Howard (and some not so friendly contracts) need. Frankly, he's needed more on a team like the post-trade Rockets than the post-trade Magic (who are going to stink with or without Parsons, and Parsons won't be a future star for them).