1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Morey officially gone off the deep end?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Link to the report?
    Or is this another one of those anonymous sources ones?

I outline this earlier in another thread, but I'll repeat the salient part.

If there is really a bonus for being in LA/NY, any bonus from adidas is for a long-term contract (see Derrick Roses 10 year contract) and so using your hypothetical 50m extra...that equals 5M per year extra. It may or may not exceed the additional amount he would make for signing a full 5 yr birds rights contract vs the 4 yr contract thru SnT or UFA.

We can't know for sure till we know if there is really a bonus, and how much it really is....but the preliminary math don't show this as being much of a factor.

2. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Shut up and let him GM I say. He's just as tired as us of being stuck in mediocrity so he's DOING something about it. Sink or swim. If we sink so be it, we will have the draft picks to eventually return to relevance.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Really? Every reporter? Really? If the Woj said it, I'd believe it. Heck, "every reporter" has stated that people close to Dwight have said, yadayada... Dwight has never uttered those words to the media. When he does, why don't you link it back in this thread and gain some of your manhood and integrity back. Until then, you're a blind fool who believes hearsay and wild rumors.

4. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Morey has not gone off the deep end. He is Jason going for the Golden Fleece. :)

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Last December-March, those same sources said that there was absolutely no way Dwight would pick up the final year option on his Magic contract, and Orlando was on the verge of trading him. Then guess what happened.

No, go ahead and guess...

HE CHANGED HIS MIND.

Happens all the time with pro athletes, and even more often with Dwight Howard.

If Morey trades for him, there's no way he walks next year. He may be fickle, but he's not totally stupid.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I love how everyone already knows all the details of the trade that hasn't been completed...

"Morey is stupid for taking back Turkuglu"

...let's let a trade occur first before we criticize.

Now that I said that, I think Morey is in deep **** if he comes out of summer with nothing. He literally turned the whole team except for the one guy we all wanted to get rid of - Kevin Martin. Bill Simmons put it best when he said(paraphrasing), "Daryl Morey just offered his wife and two kids for the #8 pick in this years draft.

7. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Actually Adidas was talking about a near $400 million dollar deal if he goes to the Nets. He wouldn't get the same deal in Houston since it isn't a media giant. So actually the $30 mil he might lose walking on us, could end up being no more than chump change.

8. feezy75

feezy75 Member

Well all I know is Royce White & Chandler Parsons need to stay in houston they r ready to lead tha Rockets

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Agree, I don't know why so many are having trouble understanding this. If we just keep doing what we are doing, we are going to be stuck with more of the same; getting reasonably good players who can't get us into the playoffs but keep us from failing enough to get a quality draft pick.

Essentially, we are either going to rebuild around Dwight or Bynum or we don't get Dwight at all and now we've finally cleared the deck and can bottom out and rebuild through the draft. One or the other HAS to happen because if it doesn't, then we are just assuring ourselves of being stuck in LIMBO.

10. liveguy

liveguy Member

Dude...STFU and find me an article saying he denies saying it!

He has said it through his people, man!

That isht is clear, but I'm the fool. lol

FOH!

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/dwight-howard-doesnt-want-you-houston-so-lets-move-on/

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...s-orlando-magic-nba-draft-2012-chase-budinger

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...gh-keeping-him-tougher-a-gamble-worth-taking/

http://sportsmediamasters.com/report-no-chance-howard-stays-in-houston-if-traded-there/

If he signs long-term I will HAPPILY be wrong!

I'm a rox fan like everyone else here...but I don't want to give up the future for a rental.

Call me crazy!

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No, he is not God either..... the whole Howard drama circus is coming to town......
    I agree with that

12. BuckeyeRocketFan

If we are taking back all that bad contract money and amnestying Scola and sending the picks we have been accumulating, any way we can come out the other side of this with DMo, Parsons, Lamb, White and Howard? Still need a PG and have some backups from all the other trades hanging around. But, we shouldn't have to dump absolutely everything to get Howard here, should we?

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

What future? What future did this team have? Scola's body is already failing him, in case you've forgotten. The three rookies we got were all in the teens and next year's draft class is mediocre. There is no future without getting a superstar in this league.

People are losing their minds over trading Lowry and losing Dragic, it's like you guys forgot that Morey is the one of found those guys. They were forgotten bench players on other teams. You don't think he can find more of them? The only reason we didn't see Lin blossom here was because those 2 were entrenched. Morey can find more reasonably good PGs, I guranfreakingtee it.

14. mazinger

mazinger Member

[​IMG]

Boy, you still have a lot to learn.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The burden of proof is on you, you are the one saying he won't resign. Heck, I didn't even say he will resign here. I didn't see anywhere in that mess of yours the slightest thing that has Dwight Howard telling the media directly that he will not resign. So fool, get off the internet before you hurt yourself.

16. solid

solid Member

What happened to Kevin Martin? Is he gone to? I haven't heard.

17. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

When did all the idiots come out? This site has always been a gem to me for the knowledgeable posters and their factually based comments. So many posters mindlessly following the propaganda spewed out by ESPN and the like. At this point nothing is certain. This includes:
    We do not know who/what will be involved in the trade
    We do not know if Dwight will sign an extension
    We do not know the future of our draft picks

Everyone wanted Morey to make a move. He is attempting a major one to build a contender without tanking. This is no easy task. I liked Scola as much as the next person, but his decline was noticeable and the league proved that his worth was less than his contract; hence, not being able to trade him. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. Dragic, Lowry, and Scola were not easy calls. The end product of this nets us a) a contender or b) a team that will finish in the low lottery. Aren't these what everyone has been screaming for?

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Dwight's people, sources close to Dwight camp = Dwight!

Now....you're the one that said he DID NOT say it...so....show me something or keep it moving.

I'll wait.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Member

The key part is 50 mil IF he signs with NY or LA. So, which NY or LA team has cap space to sign him?

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Check out my FAQ R2K. There was a report published by David Aldridge where he claimed this was given to him by sources closes to Dwight's thinking.