1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin agrees to terms on offer sheet [Update: Lin officially signs]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Do you want Lin's contract matched

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

505 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2015 when Kevin Love is a free agent.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Can the Knicks get CP3 next year, with or without Lin's contract on their books? I just don't see it.

Knicks are well over the cap and would have to SnT for Paul.

The funny thing is that, of the Knick's three "stars", Carmelo is the one that the Clippers would want. Amare and Chandler are redundant to Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

Melo's wife might like to head back to LA, but that defeats the whole CP3 toast at Melo's wedding thing.

3. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Conspiracy Theory? Morey intentionally signed Lin as a favor for the Knicks.

• Did the Knicks and Rockets have an understanding when it came to Lin, Camby and a host of other assets? Marc Berman of the New York Post suggested as much: "Indeed, only the first three years — or $20.3 million — were guaranteed. Lin will make $5 million in the first year of the pact and $5.2 million in the second. The guaranteed third year builds to $9.3 million, and could have gone as high as $15 million if Rockets general manager Daryl Morey were trying to scare off the Knicks with the luxury-tax implications... But Morey’s actions give pause. The Knicks declined to make Lin an offer until he set the market, so he had to find a team willing to give him an offer sheet. Lin was in a tricky position because the Knicks had attempted to scare away suitors by boldly stating before free agency they wanted him back... Morey could have intentionally done a favor for the Knicks in setting a reasonable market price and not having Lin twist in the wind for weeks. The Knicks may have repaid the favor when the Knicks gave Morey a slew of assets in the Camby deal — center prospects Josh Harrellson and Jerome Jordan, Toney Douglas, two second-round picks and $2 million."

http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2012/07/knicks_links_team_to_match_jer.html

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Linspiracy grows

5. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Come on this lame. It was more like the Knicks being desperate for a rescue in the point guard position than willingly "gave him a chance". And Linsanity saved their season while making pennies for himself. Now the man wants get paid. Nothing wrong with that.

6. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Idiots in NY!

We cut him because of a log jam in that position. We did not cut him because of talent. Obviously we saw something in him if we brought him in last summer/preseason

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

No, I think Morey just came up with a decent contract for Lin's value much like he did with Dragic. He just doesn't want to overpay and I applaud him for that.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Considering the contract with Asik was already offered, I think it's more likely that Morey crunched the numbers and didn't want to screw us over from a cap perspective just to sign Jeremy freakin Lin.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

After Lin came to the Rockets, he then visited other teams. Then he agreed to the Rockets deal. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened.

10. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Read this last night - interesting take - don't think for a second crap like this doesn't happen . . . but in this case considering what we got from Knicks - uhhhh NOPE !!!!

11. psingh34

psingh34 Member

so ur saying signing lin is not a step towards winning .. so ur saying there is a better pg available in FA then him? so ur saying that the rockets have always been about making money and not trying to win ???

really????

les alexanders only weakness is that he refuses to concede and wants to see a competitive product at all times .. they have NEVER shyed away from going after superstars and are often critisized for over paying (lowrys contract at the time of signing was criticized, same with asik etc)

12. Classic

Classic Member

Any reason to believe Dante Moerely is this smart?

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I'm really surprised by the amount of hate for Jeremy Lin on this board. With the current offer and with his stats, his salary is justified. Like Kobe said, skills like that didn't magically appear overnight. I hope no free agents read this board. Can potentially scare a lot of players off.

I'm from NY so I watched Lin played everyday and didn't see Goran play at all. So I can't make a comparison other than the stat sheets. Their numbers are similar and Goran got offered more money, so I don't understand the hate. Lin brought more than just numbers, he bought excitement and energy into a moribund MSG. The knicks is finally a fun team to watch until he went down and New York got stuck with iso melo. Just for sheer entertainment value, Lin is worth every dollar he makes. Everybody knew the knicks would match the offer but I'm still disappointed with how this board pull the welcome mat and gave him the middle finger despite having no real point guards on the roster. Everybody is treating him like he is making max money.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Marc Berman: Sources say #Knicks still very serious about Spanish League PG Pablo Prigioni and probably will make an offer today. about 26 minutes ago
    Probably won't have any impact on the Knicks matching Lin, but you have to wonder ...

16. ejarts

ejarts Member

nope. Lin is very close to Yao. He was on Rockets mind but only had to let him go cause There was already 3 PG signed. He knows Rockets wanted him before he even blew up.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No kidding.

Dragic and Lowry are both better than him.

He should have no beef with losing out to those guys, and any other team would've done the same.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I saw another writer state that it might have been a favor for Yao.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member