1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will JaVale McGee get the max?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Since Batman Lopez is, will the other promising young center get it, too?

2. snc

snc Member

In 2012,

McGee: 11 pts 8 rbs 2 blks 55%

Lopez: 19pts 4 rbs (wtf?) 1blk 49%

I guess you'd be paying for the potential, but still. I don't think they are worth it, let someone else over pay. A dominant big man isn't necessary anymore, and these stiffs aren't even dominant.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally agree with your take.

But why the sig? I hope because you think he's unintentionally funny.

"Haters" has probably replaced "meth" as the most oft-used suburban word by now.

4. munco

munco Member

I think he'll be close but not quite get there. In most cases I'd rather have him than Lopez although it would depend on who else was on the team.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He won't get close to the max.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope so. That would at least handicap one other team from pursuing free agents the Rockets will someday be interested in.

If Brook can play to the potential he showed in his second and third season (back when he was a less-than-awful rebounder), then he might almost be worth it.

I don't see Javale ever being worth it, though he might get paid near it. Deandre got ~$11 million for less production.

7. MONON

MONON Member

The only reason Lopez's getting the max is to help match salaries in a trade for Howard. Neither are worth a max deal.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I understand lopez isn't a god rebounder but people keep saying he averaged 3.6rebounds last year, do they realize he only played 5 games. Even though it is terrible for those 5 games, that last game skewed his avg when it's only 5 games. His career reb avg is over 7 rebounds which is still terrible for a center but not like 3.6reb avg a game

and both don't deserve the max

9. Toast

Toast Member

That's just the way the top end of the salary cap on individual players is messed up. Dwight Howard is worth way more than the max, but that's all he can get. Bynum and centers 3-6 probably all max out too, just 'cause you can't teach height.

10. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

you don't have to worry about the nuggets. they're content with mediocrity.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

He'll get the max and Denver or some other team will really regret it.

People on CF really underestimate the market value of centers apparently.

12. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I can see McGee getting $10-12 million per because everyone overpays for quality size. He is never gonna be a max guy but will get a huge contract from somebody desperate for size.