1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rocket Salary Cap Mini-Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

We owe Atlanta a top-40 protected second round pick in 2013 (rolls over until 2016, where it is unprotected) and Milwaukee a second round pick in the first draft allowed after we convey the pick to ATL.

1 person likes this.
  2. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Looking at this sheet, something tells me the Asik offer is contingent on us not trading for Dwight. I have a funny feeling if we trade for Dwight that there will be no offer for Asik with both sides having previously agreed to drop the offer sheet.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

CH, I thought that our offers to Asik and Lin poison pilled the host teams but not us. I thought then that the cap hits in the first two years would be closer to $5M each. (Sorry if I am slowing the class down. :()

4. idrockfan

idrockfan Member

No Worries B-Bob, you just have it backwards. For NY, if they match, the salary would be $5M for the first two years, and then spike to almost $10M. Hence the Poison Pill. If Lin is not matched, the salary cap hit is level but the payments we make to him go $5M, $5M, $10M etc.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

LMAO at Toney Doublas!

Great thread CH, cool update bro. :cool:

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Good job, CH.

While your chart gives a good picture of what the Rockets' cap room situation would look like if all non-guaranteed salary was waived, it does not account for the relative TIMING of the various transactions the Rockets intend to make.

The Camby S&T will be among the first moves made, since the Rockets must clear Camby's massive ($16.6M) cap hold off the books before having any cap room whatsoever.

If necessary, the Lowry trade would also be made before being able to make the offer sheets to Lin and Asik.

However, it is possible that the Rockets have an understanding with Asik that they will WAIT to sign his offer sheet until after the Knicks match the offer sheet for Lin. That would open up a great deal of cap flexibility for the Rockets. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening.

Even if there is no deal with Asik to wait, I'm pretty sure that Courtney Lee would be willing to wait 1-3 days (remember, the Knicks don't have to take the full 3 days to decide to match on Lin) before signing elsewhere. The Rockets can always renounce Lee's rights, make the Lin offer, and then once that offer is matched by NYK, the Rockets can rescind their renouncement of Lee, get his cap hold back on the books, then pursue a Lee S&T with other teams.

In fact, I would be shocked if a Lee S&T occurs before the offer sheets are made. Remember, most Lee S&T scenarios would involve the Rockets taking back at least a little (and perhaps a lot) of guaranteed salary, which would greatly interfere with the Rockets' flexibility to make the offer sheets in the first place.

Not everything is going to happen on July 11. Several of these rumored moves will play out over the course of the next few weeks.

2 people like this.
  7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

Again, I would ask, if it wouldn't be much smarter to simply do one offer-sheet after the other (First Lin, then Asik).
    Doing so, you wouldn't have to waive all these guys, who not only may actually be capable rotation players, but also could come in handy down the road, giving their non-guaranteed contracts.
    Seems unnecessary to maneuver around, just so you create cap space for two guys who might get matched anyway. Chances are at least one of them will.

8. Horry33

Horry33 Member

I think in the past teams that have the option to match usually take all 3 days to officially accept just to be a nuisance to the flexibility of the team that signed their restricted free agent. So I expect the Bulls to wait as long as they can. The Knicks on the other hand may not take that long since Rockets have another deal worked out with them.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. Ideally, I would like for the Rockets and the Knicks to contemporaneously file the following transactions with the league office on July 11:

1) Rockets renounce rights to Courtney Lee
    2) Rockets sign Jeremy Lin to offer sheet
    3) Knicks match Rockets' offer sheet for Jeremy Lin
    4) Rockets rescind renouncement of rights to Courtney Lee

Boom. Cap flexibility.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Camby trade "guaranteed" the Knicks will match immediately?

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You think instead of the two 2nd round picks the Rockets could have just (under the tabled) with the Knicks and set an agreement on not matching Lin?

I know it's against the rules but you know it happens more often than not. Or even so with the 2 picks just agree to not re-sign Lin as a favor... that cash cow may be too good to let leave that easily though.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

i heard toney doublas has double the cap hold because he is just so double the goodness he had to change his name. i hope he replaces the newly acquired scrub toney douglas.

13. van chief

van chief Member

great information, much thanks.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I think there is zero chance the Knicks are going to let Lin go, so no, I don't think your proposed option is possible. What Bima is hoping, and me as well, is that as part of the Camby deal Daryl said "Hey Knicks, do us a solid and match the Lin contract on day 1."

The idea is that we all know the Knicks are going to match the offer, so don't drag it out and screw us over with our cap situation. Of course, the Knicks would probably say "You shouldn't have done the contract you did then and hurt us 2 years from now."

15. ejarts

ejarts Member

who do you guys think the rockets will waive in our current players? counting the knicks ones. I just want a clear picture of who's gonna be on the roster cause there's so many players right now it's confusing.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Too hard to tell at this point. It's all going to depend on how they are able to work the moves over the next few days. I hope they don't just waive all of these players personally.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yeah, just keeping hope alive I guess. *sigh* :(

18. teebone21

teebone21 Member

its crazy how we will be almost capped out with all these players and having to cut salary just to fufill our offer sheets and yet tax paying teams are raking in good players. The nba system is just wrong with all this MLE and mini MLE crap. If GM's were limited to a hard cap limit then we would start to see which ones are good enough to contruct a good team while not handing out garbage contracts and hoarding allstars

19. Pete the Cheat

meh, bad franchises are benefiting from the temporary reprieve of the amnesty provision right now.
    teams like the Knicks handing out multiple inflated contracts to second and third tier stars are going to be mired in mediocrity until the rapture

20. fkc20

fkc20 Member

Nice post, great information.

CP25 is underpaid! He is cheaper than our rookies! I like him more now