1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets trade Lowry, stay focused on Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

I'm exhausted from refreshing my browser so frequently.

2. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Now the tide turns after Clutch speaks. Fickle crowd

1 person likes this.
  3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If anything, Morey has proven to be consistent in his goal. He will fight for the superstar, period.

Flexibility and assets, folks. That is the name of the game.

That is why i don't see him trading for Josh Smith or Gasol, UNLESS it maintains or improves our hand towards a superstar.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lol.
    I've seen members completely change course on their opinions after Clutch says something contrary to what they are saying.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Well, he's in for the fight of his life this off-season, there is no question about that. :p

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Who here changed their opinion?

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, good breakdown by Bima... I did ask specifically though someone who would know and was told they were under the cap and it didn't apply. Would not put it past the Rockets to get creative though.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Clutch said he was worried about what happens if we do not get Howard -- I am more worried about what happens if we do.

I think the Knicks will match, so who plays the point? If the Rockets absorb a bunch of the Magic's bad contracts will they still have enough to bring in a point guard -- even one of the Lou Williams or Ramon Sessions variety?

The other positions are less worrisome: I would imagine Scola and at least 2 of the PF's would still be around and I imagine(read: hope) Parsons and Lee would be at the 2 and 3, along with bench players from the Magic.

Still, with a hole at the 1 and the lack of a second star, not only am I uncertain how well the team would do, I am almost certain that Dwight will walk away from the extra money to find a competitor next summer.

1 person likes this.
  9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Morey's not going to blow our cap space on 2nd-tier players. I mean, he might, but only on one-year contracts. As for why he's going after Lin if the goal is to create cap space, it's because we plan on having a real season; WE'RE NOT TANKING.

If nothing else, we can give one-year deals to some decent players, plus watch our rooks (plus DMo) develop. I'm sure we can make it back to the 9th slot in the West. What's so good about that? In the meantime, our very young players are getting better, and we still have our cap space. Sooner or later, Morey will find somebody worth spending it on. The Dwight Howards of the world will be a lot more excited about playing here after our youngsters become good.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I did, kind of. I wanted Lowry to be a part of the next phase of the Rockets, but now I see it wasn't really in the cards.

I wouldn't say we're fickle, we just know that Clutch knows what the hell he's talking about.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Please Dwight, please please please please! Please come to Houston Dwight! Please Orlando, please please please please trade Dwight to us!

Desperate fellas. Wishing upon a star.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm sorry but how can you love this move when it hinges on us getting Howard so much?? There's a 99% chance we don't get him which means: Gasol or Smith! With the 99 PFs on this team, I don't think we need another one that's going to take playing time and give us another bad pick in 2013.

13. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

14. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

whaaaat? show some optimism man. there's a 1000% percent chance that we are getting dwight.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't know. I feel if the Raptors end up in the lottery with the team they have now it'll be the 14th.

The Rockets couldn't have put togther a package for Lillard?

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I don't mind the trade, but there is absolutely no point in renting Howard now. For what? He is not the type of player to get us out of the lottery even. We would have a max player on our team and still not make the playoffs. I'm no NBA GM and I didn't go to MIT but that doesn't make sense to me. I was never a proponent of "tanking", but if you are rebuilding then rebuild. If you are competing, then compete. You can't do both at the same time. You can "retool" and compete, but not rebuild and compete. If you argue that we are not rebuilding, all of our opening day starters from this past season will be traded by opening day of next year.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

NOT THAT IT REALLY MATTERS, but 14 assumes that the bubble playoff teams in the East > bubble playoff teams in the West.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It was needed. It's similar to the thread about Morey speaking with the season ticket holder and the SI thread. Everything written and said was already floating around clutchfans, but fans rush to conclusions and emotional outbursts, so they miss out on all the other tidbits that leak out after moves. People start making threads asking WHY WHY WHY, if only they took a second to calm down, they'd figure out what's really going on.

The only problem i have with the trade is the protection. After it was reported that they were working on something "innovative" I was expecting the pick to be restricted to picks 5 to 12 or something like that.

1 person likes this.
  19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm already iffy on trading for Dwight, knowing that we'll gut the roster and surround him with crap. Everyone's counting on money keeping him in town, when we know it won't keep him in Orlando.

If we fail to land him, all signs point to Houston not rebuilding the right way. Look at our FA targets: Brooks, Lin, Asik. It's obvious that Les is unwilling to tank and will instead patch holes. Failing to get Dwight just means we'll target Josh Smith or Iguodala; Gasol is probably off the market for the time being. We get either of those guys, or both, and Morey's probably back to PF Chang's.

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Lowry, last year, would not have netted us a protected lotto pick.