1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st All Time NBA greatest Draft FINAL!!!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by IzakDavid13, Jul 6, 2012.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Team Sigmund

PG: Gary Payton
    SG: Kevin Durant
    SF: James Worthy
    PF: Willis Reed
    C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Bench:
    SG/PG: Manu Ginobili
    SF/PF: Robert Horry
    PF/C: Shawn Kemp

---------------------------------
    Team Jamers

PG - Rajon Rondo
    SG - Reggie Miller
    SF - LeBron James
    PF - Wes Unseld
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench:
    SG/SF - Michael Cooper
    PG - Kevin Johnson
    C - Bill Walton

People, finally time to vote.

First to 8 votes wins!

Let's get ready to rumble!

2. IzakDavid13

FINALS!

Gary Payton vs Rajon Rondo
    Gary Payon wins this one on one match up hands down. One of the most underrated guards to have ever played the game. His defence was sublime, and his ability to score as well as run an offence puts him in the upper echelon of Point guards. Rondo is a great defender and runs the offence well, but until he can hit that outside jumper consistently, he will struggle against points that can play some D.
    Sigmund

Kevin Durant vs Reggie Miller
    Reggie could shoot that rock, but would he be able to stop Durant? In a word NO. Durant proved this season that he can take a team to the finals, lead the league in scoring and posses an all round game. Durant.
    Sigmund

Worthy vs LeBron
    What is scary is, I don't believe that we have seen the best that LeBron has to offer, and he is already one of the All-Time greats. I love Big Game James, but he has no chance against the King with his new ring.
    Jamers

Reed vs Unseld
    Both these guys were bruising big men. Both rebounded the ball well, but the edge goes to The Captain, Willis Reed...just.
    Sigmund

Kareem vs Hakeem
    Hakeem...nuff said.
    In all seriousness, Hakeem would win this matchup with his all round game, but it would be close, very close.
    Jamers

Bench
    SG/PG: Manu Ginobili
    SF/PF: Robert Horry
    PF/C: Shawn Kemp
    Vs
    SG/SF - Michael Cooper
    PG - Kevin Johnson
    C - Bill Walton

Battle of the bench...
    Kevin Johnson is a machine...he put up Isiah like numbers for a few seasons, but gets little love.
    Cooper was an amazing defender and could also score the ball on the wing.
    Bill Walton, when healthy, was a beast down low.

Manu is Manu. Horry, big Shot Bob, in his prime was an athletic run & gun player who could lock down other small forwards defensively or drag opposing power forwards outside with his 3 point shooting.
    The Rainman was the Rainman. A phenomenon of a player, able to change a game with his defence and offence, especially running the break.

Slight edge to Sigmund

Team offence
    Both teams can put up numbers, but I close my eyes and imagine Reggie catching open looks from Dream and LeBron.
    The Dream shake doing a Robinson on Kareem.
    It would be close, especially with Manu and Payton to Kemp off the bench, but Jamers takes this one...just
    Jamers

Team defence
    All time leader in Block shots, Wes Unseld, LeBron and Rajon...with Cooper and Walton off the bench, that is Defence.
    Up against Kareem, Reed and Payton...Horry & Kemp could also block shots, but advantage...
    Jamers

Team chemistry

As much as I would love to see Hakeem win this...I see Gary Payton to Kemp, the Seattle connection with Durant. Then You have two clutch Spurs in Horry & Manu.
    With the substitutions in they could have a line up of

Payton
    Ginobili
    Durant
    Kemp
    Abdul-Jabar

But then With K.J in I see
    Kevin Johnson
    Miller
    LeBron
    Unseld
    Olajuwon...that big 3 just blows my mind!

But a decision has to be made...

Winner is
    Sigmund

In a 7 game series 4-3... Every game going into overtime.

3. Jamers

Jamers Member

ill probably lose in one-on-one matchup. but Durant on SG? Reed on PF? and his bench is better, really? I see KJ and Walton be a starter in any of the teams, having them on the bench is overpower.

but then again, i have to respect your decision lol

4. IzakDavid13

It was really, really close...and Olajuwon is my favourite player of all-time.

The weakness was at Power forward and Point guard.

But a big 3 of Hakeem, LeBron & Miller makes me salivate.

5. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Too close to call....

Jamers in game 7: 139-138 triple ot.

6. VBG

VBG Member

Team Offense -

I think it's dead even. Both are elite. I think this is the exact team that Rondo and Lebron would thrive in. They could both run and pass with Reggie spotting up for open 3s. Hakeem and Unseld would help here too. Reggie would be amazing running around Unseld's picks (he is regarded as one of the best screeners of all time). In the halfcourt backing of Rondo might work but Kevin Johnson off the bench is amazing. But giving space would allow him to set up Lebron and Hakeem beautifully.

Sigmund's team is more of a halfcourt team. Most unstoppable shot ever with Kareem. Durant would provide fantastic spacing. He is a mismatch at the 2. Much more traditional offense.

Team Defense -

This is where Jamers has the significant advantage. Sigmund's team is solid even though I don't like Durant at the 2 running around picks trying to guard Reggie. There is a reason he played better when he was shifted to the 3/4.

But Lebron, Rondo, Unseld and Hakeem. Michael COoper off the bench. Reggie was tough as well. That is insane. The help and recovery ability is amazing.

Bench

Jamers. Kevin Johnson fits perfectly. Bill Walton can pair with Hakeem and become insanely tall. He is also insanely skilled. And Michael Cooper is a great off ball cutter and defender.

Jamers in 6

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sigmund: Worthy, Reed, Kareem, Kemp, Horry

Jamers: James, Unseld, Olajuwon, Walton

I think Jamers' frontcourt has advantages in every facet of the game. In terms of numbers and talent, Sigmund has a slight offensive advantage, but all of Jamers guys will get more opportunities because of the great passing and unselfishness of James, Unseld, and Walton. Defensively, Kareem is outstanding, but so is Olajuwon and Olajuwon has James and Walton to help him out. Rebounding wise, again, Kareem and Olajuwon are neck and neck, but Olajuwon's support on the boards is better than Kareem's.

Sigmund: Payton, Durant, Ginobili

Jamers: Rondo, Miller, Cooper, Johnson

Sigmund's backcourt is better. Defense, playmaking, and scoring from Payton; scoring from Durant, and all-around play from Ginobili. Jamers' backcourt is a great fit with its three passers and shooter, but the talent is just too overwhelming.

Sigmund: Ginobili, Kemp, Horry

Jamers: Cooper, Johnson, Walton

Can't ignore the talent on Jamers' bench. Cooper was an excellent defender, Johnson was a great pointguard, an Walton, at his prime, was an epic player whose injury concerns we can overlook because of his role as backup big man. For Sigmund, Ginobili is nice and so is Kemp, but Horry? He's a great option to have on a final play of the game, but he's going to have to play some minutes during the game to get into some sort of rhythm and, IMO, he was not this good.

In terms of how they'd play, I think the mix of Jamers' team will get more out of its players than Sigmund's. Offensively, Sigmund has four players in his starting lineup that posted up to get their points and he has two centers (Reed could play power forward but the Knicks didn't takeoff until he moved to center) and two small forwards in his lineup. Jamers, on the other hand, has one postup player in Hakeem, a pure point guard, a pure shooting guard, a garbage man power forward, and a small-forward that can do it all.

Defensively, Sigmund is going to have some problems. Who guards James? Does Durant chase Miller around? Payton? Then Durant has to hang with Rondo. IMO, Kareem will have to play a masterful series against Dream to negate all the damage James and Miller will inflict on their defenders. He can definitely do that, but Hakeem can do the same to him as well.

The rebounding battle goes to Jamers.

Overall, I just see the fit of team Jamers that makes sense; you really have to use your imagination to see how team Sigmund would counteract Jamers' chemistry.

Jamers in 6.

8. RedNation

3-1. Let's do best of 7. It's time to get this draft over with

9. IzakDavid13

It was close to a sweep, I almost came back and changed my mind...so close.

Best of 7 or first to 8?

More suspense in first to 8...suddenly the judges have come back to life!

10. RedNation

If you do first to 8, it will take a good 2 to 3 weeks.

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If Sigmund plays a lineup of Payton, Ginobili, Durant, Worthy, and Kareem... That would make this series very interesting. Then again, who plays point off the bench? Manu could play around 32-35 minutes a game, add that to Payton's 42 and Sigmund would need to fill in around 20 minutes of guard play with Durant. That's still significant.

The new front court definitely takes a beating on the boards, but it fits so much better on offense and it doesn't take a hit defensively because Unseld was not a scorer. Willis Reed can then play backup center minutes and Kemp can come in at power forward. Addition by subtraction.

This adjustment makes this a very close 7 game series, IMO, but I still go with Jamers because they're still better on defense and on the boards.

12. IzakDavid13

We can still vote on GOAT II while voting on this final...we're not going anywhere anyway:)

Jamers has it in the bag.

I say the winner should get a rep from everyone. Agree?

13. Jamers

Jamers Member

That's perfect lol

Thanks for voting izak, vbg, rednation, jumpman....

14. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

For pretty much all the reasons that most you mentioned especially VBG...I vote for Jamers

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

My problem with jamers teams is rondo is such a ball in hand facilitator and lebrahn is a point forward... bur lebrahns versatility is amazing and i see no complaints... also we unseld isnt gonna space the floor much for hakeem to avoid the doubles or get proper spacing...

I dont like sigmunds wing combination... i can see durant aliding from the 3 to the 2 and vice versa but i dont see worthy doing that... so durant is essentially stuck at the 2... i also think reed is causing the same spacing and double team problems as jamers... both teams essentially have 2centers...

Pg edge- sigmund... payton is better i believe plus he has manu to give spot rest while rondo is resting he has kj(altho im figuring lebrahn would take over point-forward duties) so i feel like its a waste of depth...

Wings edge- jamers... lebronbron and miller is a fantastic mixture... miller is the spot up for hakeems passes out of double teams(durants spot up is nothin to shake a stick at for kareems passes either) and lebron is everywhere... i jus dont like the mixture of worthy and durant... it doeant seem to mesh well for me... durant would give miller fits but hell have to help on bronbron because worthy isnt containing his versatility...

Frontcourt edge- jamers... i obviously think hakeem is better and view unseld and reed as a wash...

Bench edge- sigmund... i like how his bench can come in and play multiple positions thus making sure everyone is rested and out of foul trouble... and i feel jamers wasted depth...and has no true pf...

Im going with…

Jamers in 7

16. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

I pick Jamers: Too good of a bench.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sigmund, I don't see a Rondo-Bron-Unseld combination working at all.

Playmaking is a problem though with Payton as the only playmaker along with Manu.
    Durant owns Reggie on both ends.
    Worthy and James, slight edge to Bron because of playmaking.
    Reed rapes Unseld.
    Kareem is too much for Hakeem.
    Manu gives you a good playmaker and great allround player off the bench. Horry in his prime was athletic and your clutch shooter. Kemp as PF/C is nice for a small ball line-up.
    Jamer has a great bench, too, especially with Kev and Walton. Walton owns Kemp with his defense and ball-iq.

All goes down to the starting line-up, Rondo+Bron+Unseld is not well thought out in my opinion, it just wouldn't work together, whereas Payton+KD+Worthy+Reed+Kareem is a cohesive unit with great allround game, offense and defense and shooting.

Sigmund wins.

18. Jamers

Jamers Member

I think there is conflict between the posts lol... Thanks though

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's about match-ups always. You have the liability in Unseld and one guy has to help him out vs. KG. That can only be done by Bron or Hakeem, but no sane mind would double KG when that leaves Worthy or Kareem open. I just think Sigmund's line-up brings the bad things in your team to the light in a way that few units can, therefore it may have sounded like a conflict at first.

20. IzakDavid13

It Jamers leading 6-2