1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets trade Lowry, stay focused on Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't mind the move by itself, but then to go out and try to spend money on Jeremy Lin just baffles me. I guess a lottery pick + Lin > Lowry, but still. We're just replacing Lowry with another above average (but not great) player. I suppose we'll just trade one or two of our PFs for a PG or two if that falls through.

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Good write-up Clutch, the move was one of further potential toward other moves.

Morey is staying the course to improve the team, me likey!!!

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I fear this too if the Rockets come up short on Howard. Just adding a 2nd tier player as patchwork will get the team nowhere.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

it's not that it's savvy necessarily, i think it was more just a matter of finding out that orlando had no interest in lowry (and of course they would have interest in a future lottery pick).

i think this pick, parsons, and motie are all safe bets to be included in the offer for howard.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lin is 3 and a half years younger than Lowry. He can be part of a rebuild. Lowry can't.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, actually. In the Dalembert trade, we get an exception for about 2.5 million. In the Budinger trade, we got an exception for about 900K.

We likely used the Dalembert exception to acquire Forbes, which would allow us to have a ~5.7m trade exception created by trading Lowry for nothing.

But here's where it gets tricky:

You can essentially only have either cap room, or trade exceptions. In order to sign Asik and Lin, we will have to renounce our exceptions. So they won't matter. If Asik and Lin are both matched, we could unrenounce them.

Great article, Clutch. You touched on what's my biggest question -- what do we do if it's not Howard? I will be really disappointed if we go and acquire a 2nd tier star just for the sake of it.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

don't worry. lin won't be here for sure. knicks will match.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good article.

I think Daryl has tried to fit a square peg in a round hole since the Yao and T-mac ship sunk. He's made a lot of shrewd moves, pulled the trigger on a lot of deals, but nothing that has really placed the team on a championship course.

Now lets look the moves done lately.

Dalembert to Milwaukee for a higher pick (an athletic 2 guard with advanced scoring capabilities is a lot sexier than a high motor PF) and some scrap metal (Livingston, Leuer, etc)

Lowry for a Lottery pick: As Clutch illustrates, it turns a middle of the road PG like Lowry into a much more attractive asset, although it is an unpopular move because Lowry was well liked, on a good salary, and the move was done mere hours after we lost Dragic.

Asik, Lin deals. (Bulls likely to match, Knicks will match)

These offer sheet moves accomplish a couple things, even if the players teams match the offers.

1.) It shows the front office is trying to bring in talent
    2.) It puts 2 high market teams and attractive destinations for FAs in a salary cap bind by 2015.
    3.) In Lin's case, it will be a popular move with the Yao Ming fans that still follow the team.

Allowing Dragic and Lee to walk.

This part has upset the fan base and it is easy to understand why. Dragic has the makings of a good PG in this league and he was unquestionably the only player besides maybe Parsons that anyone was really excited about. Lee has always been a favorite of mine, I love his skill set, his shooting percentages, his defense, he paired up extremely well with Dragic in the back court.

Letting Dragic go to Phoenix was upsetting, and if Lee indeed isn't back either it clearly moves 2 of the most liked players off the team. The fans are upset, they see a team moving backwards and it appears frustrating.

But all of these moves keep one common factor: The move is made in order to acquire more assets that are attractive to a team looking to rebuild by dumping a star player, or the move is made to unload salary, making it easier to sign another star player through free agency.

Clutch is right, Morey is going balls out and it is about time. Sink or swim. **** or get off the pot.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I'm a minority and I'm down with this trade.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you're being pessimistic. With the acquisition of Gasol, the Laker's might stand pat. Plus, I always assumed Morey's interest in Gasol hinged on retaining Lowry (or Dragic, later).

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ I meant "with the acquisition of Nash"

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Still with the Pau? And now throwing Smith in there? Why?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We need to hope they get snapped up somewhere (either as part of a Howard deal) or by some other desperate team (Dallas?)

14. Mashing

Mashing Member

Did anyone else see PF Chang's and think Point Forward Chang's?

Anyway, I digress. When Clutch put it in terms like he did in that article I do have to admit that the trade is much more appealing to me now. It definitely improves our chances of landing a superstar.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Summary:

Great trade...if we get Duh-wight.

Horrible trade...if we don't?

1 person likes this.
  16. tzou88

tzou88 Member

If let's say Asik and/or Lin doesn't get matched , how's that gonna affect our cap space and our ability to trade for Howard?

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Nailed it: What happens if we don't get Dwight Howard?

This is the most worrying part of the moves being made so far - we are left without a decent point guard, will have to do something will all these rookies and picks we're accumulating, and we'll be looking for a representative for the All-Star game

This is an uncomfortable position for the fan as the front office has not given any indication of their back-up plan - i.e. the tanking backup plan. Perhaps this is a good thing in two ways:

a) The Rockets are sure they're getting Dwight Howard
    or
    b) The Rockets are certain they will tank, but it's not something they can advertise to the ticket buying crowd.

Whatever it is though, I think we have to wait at least a full month to see the major roster change

#37 srrm, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  18. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah i agree with the gasol part of the lakers standing pat. either they will move bynum for howard, or do nothing. don't see how the rockets would be a trade partner anymore.

19. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Bottom line is HOWARD AIN'T COMING HERE. We're wasting time even talking about it. The only thing it does is give the impression Morey's busy (which 90% of these articles do). But the fact is we're going into the season with a embarrassment of a roster.

Until Scola & Martin are moved we haven't officially started rebuilding

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Horrible trade...if we don't and we go after Gasol or Smith.