1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's not time to fire Morey... yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brandyon, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I've been a supporter of Morey throughout the majority of his time with the franchise. I'm one that thought he could have made something special happen with a healthy Yao, and Tracy. I'm confident that we would have had something better than Alston and Howard in our starting rotation.

But that was then, and this is now. It's two years post Yao, and it's the time where the plan should have developed further than it has so far.

That being said, it's too early to fire him. While this off season has been a disaster, the potential damage has already been done. In my eyes, these are the two options with our current roster. Outside of an unlikely superstar trade, we:

A) Finish out the season with a roster full of rookies, and young talent. If 2-3 players we draft, traded for, or signed in free agency exceed expectations, I would still stick with him. It's unlikely, but if Lamb, White, Jones, Monti, or any other young players look like potential all-stars, then we have to keep the guy who found them.

or

B) This feels like the more likely scenario. We play through the season and the young roster looks more like a bunch of useless raw talent, mixed in with a handful of potential starters. Nobody displays future all start game and the future continues to look bleak... In this case, Morey has to be fired. We would have the Toronto pick, and our own for a new GM to come in and make something happen.

A lot of things can change via trade. These hypotheticals are the most feasible with our current roster in my mind. Morey is walking a thin line even with supporters like me, but it's too late to pull the plug on this season. A new GM can't come in and make something happen this late in the off season.

Let's see what these kids look like in the pros.

2. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I'm glad you said something, the BBS was seconds from calling him to their office.

#2 Rock3t Man, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey has another 4 years on his contract. His tenure with the Rockets is just now starting IMO. This is the first time Les is taking the cuffs off of him. No more Dalembert type signings. The Lowry trade, and the Lee rights getting renounced was pretty much a signal of direction for this team.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I'm sick of these threads.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Nice post, but it could have fit into a dozen other threads. Didnt need its own.

6. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

No excuses. His time here has been one of false hope. Everything came to light when he let Adelman walk. Now it's time for him to walk

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Nope. He always has and always will be a loser. He has no idea how to build a winning team - he just makes lateral moves based on the inane deviations and correlations his excel spreadsheet shows him. That's what you get from guys who grow up couped up in basements in front of computers with no real understanding of the game.

I'm happy the Rockets are finally getting rid of all the players who make them #14 instead of #1-5 - but it's not because of some grand scheme. It's because Morey tinkered and tinkered himself into a hole while putting out the delusion that a superstar would want to come to a place run by a robotic geek who treats every player like a 1 and 0 on a computer and watches Moneyball every night thinking he's Brad Pitt, when he's really Jonah Hill. And all along, everyone was laughing their ass off at the idea a team with as much turnover and lack of talent as the Rockets had these huge ambitions.

Not only that, he's fat and has body image issues. All the good GM's in this league are slick and confident - Sam Presti, Mitch Kupchak, Pat Riley, RC Buford, etc.

He can't scout talent or understand athletes to save his life. He thinks multimillionaires with swag and athletic abilities give a **** about twitter campaigns a free ipods. He's beyond clueless and anyone who thinks he knows what he's doing isn't far behind.

Reminds me of the Emperor's Magic Robe story. Emperor was a crazy guy. Pretended to have a majestic robe made when he was really broke and couldn't afford material. At the big town gathering, he was buck naked and said only the truly intelligent citizens could see the robe. naturally, not wanting to be thought of as stupid, all the idiots praised his new robe and said the craftsmanship was exquisite. But then one guy spoke up and said, hey your majesty, you're not wearing anything. You're naked and coming off as a gay who's batting way out of his league.

#7 Honey Bear, Jul 5, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

LMAO! I agree with you because people say I flip flop. So I have to do it once to make them feel good finally. Oh yeah give him chances!!!!! YES!!!!!!

9. Honey Bear

To which the Emperor responded - SILENCE YOU IDIOT. CANT YOU SEE THE OFFSEASON ISNT OVER! MY INVISIBLE ROBE WILL GROW INTO AN INVISIBLE GOWN AND ALL THE LAND SHALL SEE ME IN ALL IT'S BEAUTY. EVERYONE SHALL BOW AT MY FEET AND SEE THE MASTER PLAN THAT TOOK ME 3 YEARS TO IMPLEMENT IS FINALLY COMING TOGETHER. YOU ARE A FOOL FOR SPEAKING UP AGAINST A FOOL ANYWAYS. NOW BRING ME SOME CHEESY POOFS, I SHALL TINKER AND TINKER AND TRADE THEM WITH SOME MIDWESTERN MERCHANTS FOR PRINGLES. TALK ABOUT VALUE.!!

AND IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT, YOU DONT LIKE NBA BASKETBALL.

10. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I was hoping it would have more of a calming effect haha. People need to accept the fact that what's done is done this year. We might as well see the product before we fire the one who picked them. We can still fire him before the 2013 draft if its all fools gold.

11. dragonz

dragonz Member

Ok, here is the scenario that the Rockets could be an interesting team at the beginning of the season:

1. NYK doesn't match Lin's offer
    2. we trade Kmart + Scola + Toronto pick + 2 future draft picks + parson + TJones to Orlando for Howard + one bad contract (aka Richardson or Turkoglu)
    3. we will have:
    Lin
    Lamb
    Morris
    Motiejuna
    Howard

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

This thread is so 2 years ago.

He needed to go last year. Rockets will be a 43 win team for as long as he and his Excel Modeling are around.

I mean...Jeremy Lin? Really? For what? To get 2000 Asian fans into the stadium?

What about a damn ring????
    No offense to the Asian community as my wife is a beautiful Asian goddess....but give me a break already!

You want to bring fans to the stadium? Bring some freaking relevance to this team!

13. deloaf1

deloaf1 Member

You cannot be further than wrong. OMG. Wow.

First and foremost, this all started when Morey was looking to build a team around Tmac and Yao. Can you imagine these teams with those two?

This amazing depth was created to be surrounded by two centerpieces.

Look at a team like Portland, you put Roy and Oden on that team, they are better. Rose on Chicago gets out of the first round this year.

No. They would be scrambling to get stars to replace them.

If anything this is a testament to Morey as a GM. The fact this team has yet to nosedive even after losing two players that were top 5 at their respective positions in the NBA... that fact is pretty telling if you ask me.

Also, I'm going to quote a text my friend sent me and I cannot figure out a better way to put it.

"What do you look for in a GM? Don't get bad contracts? Check (and when he does he quickly flips them for value. Ariza for Lee, Brad Miller for DMO. Alston for Lowry) Good evaluation of talent? Check. (Parsons, Budinger, Brooks, Hayes... all FAR exceeded their draft slot). Don't make trades that send the franchise backwards? Check."

So sure he's had a hard time finding that one piece to put them over the top but seriously. He has been a fantastic GM.

When you said Morey couldn't evaluate talent I just laughed. Look at that list up there, Parsons, Budinger, 2nd round picks. Parsons ended up a starter and diamond in the rough this year and we flipped Cbud for a first round pick. Brooks was what? 26th in the first round?

Chuck Hayes was undrafted.

If you think Morey can't evaluate talent then you sir must also think Obama was born in Kenya.

And also, if David Stern wasn't the worse commissioner in all the major sports (Bud Seling is a close second), then Houston would have had Pau and Nene, a pretty formidable front court which would have played very well with Martin and Lowry.

Anyways, I'm not ready to give up on Morey. Is his leash shorter? Yes. But there is still at least two seasons on the leash.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Mind Blown! Obama was not born in Kenya??

[​IMG]

15. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

How's about keeping the player who is looking like a future allstar??

Seems like this is the ONLY way we are going to get any good players to come play for this team. If we were to draft our next allstar, he's likely to feel loyalty to the team, at least so long as we are competing.

16. Honey Bear

Lol, the thing they needed to do most after Yao and Tracy went down was to nosedive. Anyone with a big picture mentality could see that. Instead they sputtered and traded one mediocre player after another to earn sole possession of 3 straight #14 picks - about as sad as it gets. All this was done under the false pretense of accumulating assets to lure in a superstar to a team no one cared about after TMac and Yao went down, with a GM hellbent on setting records for player turnover.

Patrick Patterson? Marcus Morris? Solid college role players with limited upside for a team low on talent? Check.

Dorsey, Budinger, scrubs? Check.

Nicolas Batum, star, traded? Check.

Chandler Parsons, an irreplaceable guy who averages 9 and 5 on a non playoff team? Check.

Lowry, Martin, Pau, Nene, first round fodder 10 times out of 10? Check.

Take off the blinders, deloaf. He's overrated by sports journalists and internet posters because they relate to an MIT guy, not because he's done anything relevant.

#16 Honey Bear, Jul 5, 2012
  17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Dragic Gone!!! Lorry Gone!!! Lin? Knicks will match Lin!!!
    Morey should trade Martin for JJ. Barea

18. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

In Morey We Trust

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

TO WHICH THE INTERNET SAID TO RONNY:

Stop posting.

20. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Yes it. Life is short. Can't waste my years waiting for this guy to prove himself. Fire him.