1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offer $30 million to J Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Contingent, Jul 4, 2012.

1. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is this offer accurate? Does that mean the comment yesterday for "a source" saying we offered Lin the same deal as Dragic is accurate? And Dragic turned this down?

btw: If we sign Lin or Dragic, then Lowry becomes expendable for an easy asset of value. Morey might be and Lowry's trade value into an overpayment for another starting PG. ???

3. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Doesnt matter. Knicks in Toronto was one of the few games they sold out. Lots of my Chinese frds went to see it, and yes, they are from mainland China and they do not care about basketball whatsoever.

Lin was basically the headline of sina sports that entire 2 weeks, and he has 2.8million people following him on the Chinese twitter, sina weibo, not to mention most of the followers were from those 2 weeks. Think about the hype he'll get if he signs with Rockets, many of Chinese fan's home team because of Yao.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

So much wrong with this post. Houston is, in fact, a big market. Jeremy Lin also was very popular in China.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

6. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I hope that the Rockets land Lin.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin will attract China market, and star players want China market.

Because of Yao, we got Mcgrady. Because of Lin, we get...Howard?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, so am I. I thought I'd crawl out of bed this morning and the "Lin Business" would turn out to be some troll's joke on the world, and it now appears that, instead, it's Alexander and Morey's joke on the fans of the Rockets. This looks like it's straight out of Less's playbook, as Clutch astutely pointed out from the start. It's all about the money. I can picture Morey in Alexander's office, getting reamed out for not scoring on draft night, for not getting that trade or free agency "name" that will sell tickets. Sweat streaming from his forehead, desperate, Morey has an inspiration. "Mr. Alexander, we do have an alternative. I think we could snatch Jeremy Lin from the Knicks. Lin made himself famous last season and had a fantastic run for a decent stretch. He would instantly put us back Big Time in the Chinese market, and pump up season ticket sales among Houston's large Asian population. How does that grab you, sir?" With a gleam in his eye, Alexander snaps at Morey, "Get him. And don't **** it up this time," while rubbing his hands in anticipation of bumping up the bottom line, without a worry than Lin may have seen his 15 minutes of fame come and go.

Yeah, that's how I see it, and how I hope I'm wrong, and this attempt to get Lin is truly "for basketball reasons," but I find that hard to believe. Very hard to believe.

1 person likes this.
  9. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Assuming the Knicks land Nash, how the heck would they be able to pay all that money?

Tyson-Stat-Melo-Lin-Nash would probably play around 80 million dollars already @_@

10. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Knicks, Suns are in the critical stages of discussions on a sign-and-trade deal that would pay Nash $27M-$30M over 3 years, sources tell Y!</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/220564112000827392" data-datetime="2012-07-04T17:05:56+00:00">July 4, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>NY package would include Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and likely 3 low money players to get Nash salary needed to close gap on Toronto offer</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/220564873015332864" data-datetime="2012-07-04T17:08:58+00:00">July 4, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Knicks are able to pull off this deal, then I don't see why they would need Lin. My guess is they might not match Lin's offer because they might get "Asiked" by Morey.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Despite of Lin's high turnover ratio, i think he will be a great addition to this team!

12. Mr. Space City

clearly a move to sell tickets :rolleyes:

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And that is why Lowry is a valuable "asset".

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-knicks/

15. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Gain China market + become more marketable to Dwight.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

They need Lin because otherwise they'd be forced to start a minimum contract guy at SG.

17. Big Time Titan

I can understand signing Lin to draw in the Asian market but for basketball reasons and winning games this makes no f***ing sense. Pay a TO machine like Lin almost twice as much as Kyle?

If we're gonna give a FA PG $10 Million a year we might as well get the best one available in Steve Nash. Lin and Dragic aren't worth this kind of money.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Even so, their salary would be well over 100 million that year. That's over 30 million over the LT limit. I don't buy them matching any deal for Lin. 10 million for a backup pg is completely ridiculous. With the LT, it would be like paying 30 million.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Man I thought Morey wouldn't resort to these.

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

not even close. Maloney couldnt get it done with multiple HOFers on his team.
    Lin did some amazing things with a bunch of cast-offs and Tyson Chandler.