1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You just said he's AT LEAST Tyson Chandler level defense. So what you're saying is that AT HIS WORST, he's the Defensive Player of the Year...do you realize how dumb that sounds?:rolleyes:

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Think the Bulls will threaten to match and force a sign and trade so they don't lose him for nothing?

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This is a sports forum. It's where people go to give their opinion. chill out.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That's fine Send them someone, we have too many players at this point anyway.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Martin would make the most sense, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't take on his contract, even if it is expiring. I'll let CH or Bima handle that one.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

this is a brilliant, brilliant move by Morey and the Rockets. He is worth that money and plus much, much more. This guy is more advanced and more proven than Andre Drummond, and we were willing to mortgage the house on Andre Drummond.

Only problem now is I think Bulls might threaten to match. However, out of all the restricted free agents, Asik is probably the one that is least likely to be matched, however much weight that may hold. (RFAs are almost always matched by their original team no matter what the price tag is, especially if they are a decent commodity).

Now for the nervous wait of 7 days.

This could be the biggest move we will be making all season.

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

13 days, actually. He can't officially sign the offer sheet until the 11th, then the 3 day matching period.

Ugh.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sorry i wasn't looking to prove anything to anyone. just answered a poll question thats all. but if you need to know why i feel this way, fine.

omer's had a torn acl, broken collarbone, and broken fibula in his career already. with his playing style, it's pretty easy to see that more minutes means much greater chances for injuries. I don't see him ever playing a full season for the Rox and will be lucky to play even 150 games out of the 246 that he is signed for. There's a good reason he never got on the floor that much for the Bulls even during a lockout shortened season when teams had to play 3 or 4 games a week. Maybe the Chicago coaching staff knew that he wouldn't do so well with prolonged minutes. Obviously Morey feels he's smarter than them.

Easy question that everyones overlooking. Why couldn't he win minutes over Taj Gibson? Is Taj Gibson worth 8.5mil a year?

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would love to send them Martin.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd want to send Martin in a deal to get Gordon.

Crap, so many things to think about.

Dragic
    Gordon
    Parsons
    Howard
    Asik

:grin:

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

can we still offer the max to eric gordon after this?

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We could get Gordon and Howard if things are manipulated correctly.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm an Asik fan, but I have a feeling this will be Morey's next Ariza.

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!.. dafuqqq .. thought lockout season mode was over. im gonna be so pissed if we wait anxiously holding our fingers together and then the bulls match at the 11th hour.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I feel like this is Morey trying to make up for losing out on Gortat and thinking that Omer will make the same jump once he gets minutes.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

but I mean do we have the necessary cap room the offer Gordon the max outright? i.e. independent of any major trades

17. Nook

Nook Member

Omer has foul issues and his style of play is such that he tires easily. I am happy with the deal and think Omer can make a huge difference on the Rockets. His offense will improve with more attention.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because he isn't a power forward?

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Are you mental? He hasn't missed a regular season game in his entire NBA career. How does that project to 60% in the future?

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few notes regarding S&T or other efforts to discourage the Bulls from matching:

1. Given that the Rockets cannot sign Asik to any contract until July 11, the reasonable thing for the Bulls to do is to threaten to match this one all the way until at least July 11th in case this threat actually gets the Rockets to back off. Expect to hear a lot of noise about matching from Chicago.

2. There is basically NO CHANCE that the Rockets and the Bulls can work out a S&T. Due to NBA rule quirks, the most that Asik can make in a S&T is $25M over 4 years. Why would he agree to that when he can make $25M over 3 years?

3. The Rockets also CANNOT pay Chicago not to match their offer according to Larry Coon (Bimathug pointed this out to me yesterday):

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

So we can't say "We'll give you Patterson for not matching."

4. However, I wonder if it might be kosher for Morey to politely point to Gar Forman, GM of the Bulls, that while we won't pay you for not matching our offer, we sure have (i) a lot of nice low-priced players, especially front court players if Asik becomes a Rocket and (ii) a need to clear some additional roster spots and cap room for later deals. So, we can talk about a deal that have you sent us a nonguaranteed contract (if they agree to extend the guarantee day like Odom did) for, say, Marcus Morris+Greg Smith+Jon Leuer or something like it. It's not exactly paying them not to match, but a separate mutually beneficial trade. Wonder if this will be viewed as an illegal circumvention of the rules.