1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we should Amnesty Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by opticon, Jul 1, 2012.

Tags:
?

What should we do with Martin?

1. Keep him at the end of the bench and let him expire at the end of the year

14 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Amnesty him to the highest bidder

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Trade him and take back salary and hope for positive assets

61 vote(s)
    64.2%
  4. I have a better idea (explain)

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. opticon

opticon Member

Unless we can get a decent big back for Martin's contract I don't see the point in keeping him and letting him expire. I think we should just amnesty him and let all the under the cap teams fight for who gets to pay a portion of his salary.

There are 9 under the cap teams who are eligible to place a bid on Martin if we amnesty him.
    One could argue 8 since one of those teams is the Kings.

So that leaves:

Charlotte Bobcats
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.9 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $43.0 million

Utah Jazz
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $57.8 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $52.6 million

Minnesota Timberwolves
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.8 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $59.6 million

Golden State Warriors
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $56.5 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $48.1 million

Washington Wizards
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $55.9 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $45.6 million

Toronto Raptors
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $53.7 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $41.9 million

Cleveland Cavaliers
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $51.2 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $31.5 million

Indiana Pacers
    2011-12 Cap Figure: $44.0 million
    2012-13 Cap Figure: $36.3 million

Seeing how his contract is worth about 12 million I think a team that wants bad enough would place a bid as hi as 5 million.

Which only leaves us holding the bag on 7 million. Also that amount does not count against the cap. Will still get cap relief of 12 million but with the added bonus of more flexibility now instead of at the end of the year. Another added bonus is that we don't have to take back any contracts with multiple years left or send out current or future draft picks.

Would love to hear what you guys think interested teams would bid.

2. vernonmaxwell86

no reason to amnesty him... hes an expiring contract..

the only player that may ever be amnestied is scola if hes still on the team a season or two from now..

3. joesr

joesr Member

I dont even see a point in mentioning other teams since there is a high chance many of them will chance, up or down. This thread sucks.

A 12 mil expiring contract, someone who has reason to play hard for a new contract and someone who is already proven. Gawd wtf.

4. AFS

AFS Member

Makes more sense to amnesty Scola if we're gonna use the amnesty I think.

5. opticon

opticon Member

If we amnesty him now we get cap flexibility now versus having to wait till the end of the year or negotiating a buy out, Like we had to do with Jared Jeffries a few years ago.

Scola's Final year of his contract is only partially guaranteed so I doubt we amnesty him also he still cares about playing basketball.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I have a better idea.

7. teebone21

teebone21 Member

he will be hard to trade making 12 mill. Expiring contract means nothing in this instance because he will never resign with us. TRADE or Amnesty

8. rocketsfaninala

You don't amnesty expiring contracts simple as that. As someone said previously, Scola is the only real candidate for amnesty.

9. opticon

opticon Member

I hear people saying that but why? If teams only want you to take on garbage to take the contract off your hands why would you not take the same relief with out having to take on garbage or give up things of value.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Because Martin is not garbage? He can still score 20 ppg.

11. opticon

opticon Member

I agree that he still has value. Which is why I think if we amnesty him a team will make a hi bid to make sure they get him.

The bidding system is Blind. Others teams have no idea what the competing team is going to put in as a bid. The team that places the highest bid is the winner.

If a team like Cleavland puts in a bid for 8 million we are only on the hook for about 3 mil.

The fact that Martin has value is why I think our portion of salary obligation would smaller then what we would have to take back if worked a deal with a over the cap team.

12. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Morey would only amnesty a player if he ABSOLUTELY had to, i.e. star player wants sign and it's the only way to make room. Otherwise, he will always opt to trade a player away.

13. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

isnt Martin an expiring contract

14. opticon

opticon Member

He is. But if we want to trade him we have to either take back salary or give up enough assets to a team with caps to entice them to take on his contract for the trouble.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have a greater chance to improve by trading Martin's contract than by amnestying him. The Rockets have enough talented young players that other teams might want that they can improve via trade.

Unless Dwight and Deron are ready to sign/be traded on July 11, waiving Martin makes no sense.

16. opticon

opticon Member

Do you have a deal in mind that we would trade Martin and receive a asset attractive enough asset that would warrant us taking back more years of salary?

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Martin plus prospects in S&T for Eric Gordon. Apparently, this is an offer on the table from Morey to Demps.

I would ask the OP if he can think of a REALISTIC use for the extra cap room created by amnestying Martin that would benefit the Rockets more than having his expiring contract available for an offseason or in-season trade.

18. opticon

opticon Member

I am the OP. :) Correct me if I am wrong but we have till the start of the season to decide if we will use the amnesty for the year. I am all for the Eric Gordon deal but I am sure that we will know if that deal is alive or not before the start of season.
    If a team gets buyers remorse like Denver did with Nene mid way trough the season if we had cap space we would be able to absorb more salary with out having to send out as much salary to do a deal.

Which would make us a more appealing trade partner.

My fear is Kevin will be negative in the locker room and will end up having to buy him out midway through the season because we have no leverage to do a favorable trade with another team.

I very well could be wrong just wanted to get a vibe for what others thought.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Well if we sign Asik and Dragic, we might not have enough space for Lee. My guess is that's way we said we plan on keeping him...

20. cocoloco

cocoloco Member

amnesty should only be used as a last resort because you only get to use it once. gotta save that wild card for major issues. martin's expiring is not something to use it on. do not use on scola either as he can be traded for future picks plus fillers.