1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Carl, carl as a member if the omer asik fan club, how do you feel about us finally offering him a contract?

2. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

It should be $5M in 2012-2013, so the Mid Level Exception. Plus they have a huge $16M cap hold for Camby, once he is either re-signed, renounced rights or signed elsewhere that disappears. The Rockets can get under the cap easy.

3. valorita

valorita Member

this is exactly what i was thinking.
    here's how the scenarios go...

1. bulls don't match= we get a n center for ~7mil/year
    2. bulls match= they will have to amnesty boozer or put up noah for trade.
    3. if bulls match, then morey talks to them and offers kmart and young forward for noah.
    4. if orlando is willing to deal, then we offer them noah + lowry + youth
    for dwight.

to sum it up, this move gets us:

a young, albeit unproven starting center for reasonable salary [Asik]
    OR
    we get an above average defensive oriented center [Noah]
    OR
    we get the best center in the game [Dwight]

Now someone explain to me how this is a bad move.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Before anyone says I'm hating, let me state this. I like asik even though he reminds me of jim mciglvane as a player. My real issue is this, that's why I always say mid to late 1st and early 2nd, take the 7ft prospect. Recently, all these big guys morey and crew have been after could've been drafted and groomeed by the rockets. Instead,houston took the ready now small and have to chase and overpay the big guy. Asik,gasol,jordan,gortat were. All there for the rockets to draft and they didn't.

1 person likes this.
  5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Now we just need a white SG to complete the all white squad

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

15 million expiring contract?

7. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

In todays NBA, Asik is already an above average defender and shot blocker, and a good rebounder as well. He has proven he can defend the paint and prevent the layup drills we've seen the past few years.

At 26 years old (turns 26 July 4), with only 2 years in the NBA, he hasn't developed offensive moves yet, but thats why McHale is here. I have seen enough games and video to venture a guess he has tools to improve on offense. The past few years he has gotten bigger and stronger. Now let's see what he can learn from McHale.

8. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Thank you!

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im not questioning the price tag...Im questioning the fact that 8 rebounds a game is considered "elite".

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Dwight Howard doesn't even want to play in Houston so why sign him when you know he'll just leave?

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's media speak or Johnson is an idiot. They can amnesty Boozer either way.

If it had been a 4 year deal, the poison pill would have been spread over 2 years. Assume it was the same average value for the 4th year, so roughly 4 years, 33.4 million. Years 3 and 4 would be 23.15m total, an average of about 11.6m essentially reducing the poison pill amount in year 3 by about 3.5 million. For a team that will likely be in luxury tax land, that's a 7 million dollar difference right there.

12. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

me love Omer long time

1 person likes this.
  13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Hey guys it's ok MOREY has a plan to sign some big free agent in 3 years when we free up Asiks money. Moneyball..

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

4 years 25 mill is excellent price!!!!!!!!! i thought it was 3 years lol that would have been to much

15. dequinix

dequinix Member

Yes. Compare them to what others get paid at his position for similar performance. As I mentioned previously, last year Asik was:

- 4th highest rebounds per 48 minutes
    - 8th highest blocks per 48 minutes

The question should be "Can he translate that into 35 minutes per game?"

Also, the playoff numbers for the Bulls are probably not ideal considering that team lost all steam and motivation after Rose went down.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Good, I think it was time to give up on Howard and Bynum personally.

17. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Same, even though we have snapshots of what he's capable of, there's always some fear about what we're ultimately going to get.

At this point, we can look at it either way. So for all the people here that have the glass half full outlook, there are just as many that see the glass half empty.

18. Bulls N' Bears

we definitely don't want to.

Maybe some dumbass one's do... but most probably don't. The Chicago Forum I'm coming from really hopes we don't match.

19. opticon

opticon Member

Exactly. Teams don't even care about expiring contracts till the trade deadline any way so they can get the max savings due to contract being mostly paid out by that point.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Better than Gasol or paying Hibbert the max, but this is not really the kind of signing I want to see until we have an actual foundation in place....right now we just have a bunch of complementary pieces strung together until proven otherwise.