1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the deal structure is a good tactic by morey, actually a smart move by a smart man. whether you feel asik is overpaid is still opinion, the fact is that his cap hit is only 8m/year.. so dont get your panties in a knot when you read that ask will make 15m in his final year..

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

4 years. Good deal. But 3? I want Dally back.

3. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Gortat is a beast, and i actually wanted him that season he was a free-agent

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Really? On the realgm link somebody posted a couple of pages ago a lot of people wanted to match, arguing the last year would be a great expiring contract.

5. moali85

moali85 Member

he is set to to make roughly $3million more than Noah during the final year of this contract.

I doubt the Bulls match.

6. Htown's2kFinest

So if the Bulls match would they have to get rid of a player this season cause of it? If so who would it mostly be... Boozer, Gibson, Noah?

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the Rockets originally offered a four-year, $40M deal, but then Morey realized Asik isn't 6-foot-9... lowered the offer accordingly.

3 people like this.
  8. chief

chief Member

yea.much more worth the 4yr..not bad..

9. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Underestimating dominant defensive centers-

I called the Mavs winning the title when they acquired Tyson Chandler, and we alll saw how effective they were without him. Obviously the Knicks didn't have the right pieces around him, and yeah, I'd rather have Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum... but those don't appear to be realistic options. I don't think it's a huge IF to project Asik to 7 pts, 11 reb, and 3 blocks per game. That would be a big upgrade. And he signed an offer sheet, which means he actually wants to be here.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Perfect. Don't want somebody coming in and pushing us to another mediocre season. It will be nice to have a young center that can grow with the team and the other young guys we have though.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

How many centers in the NBA actually have legit offensive games? You could probably count them on one hand.

I'd rather have a great defensive center than a center with marginal offensive skills and no shot blocking presence.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Man, if the Noah thing happens, I want some credit! Maybe someone else posted the idea before I did, though, so I can't go begging.

But who we'd offer for Noah, I always thought it'd be Martin and a Tjones-type pick; and seems Martin's the centerpiece for us to get Gordon, so....

3 years 25 million. Gotta overpay, I guess.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We are going YOUNG finally!!!

Chris Haynes: C Marcus Camby narrows list to teams in contention for a championship - #Knicks #Celtics #Spurs, #Heat, #Mavericks | http://www.csnnw.com/pages/… | 1 minute ago

What a great day

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We have a great cap situation right now. We be dishing out at least 20 million in contracts to acquire Howard.

16. fkc20

fkc20 Member

are we going to resign Camby?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The contract counts differently for the Bulls than it does for the Rockets.

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Small wonder we seek offensive firepower (Gordon) to balance our lineup. We better spread the floor and move. Hope the Asik/Camby combo will trigger a lot of fast breaks.

19. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Correct.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="219583758305734657"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball">HPbasketball</a> avg money is same for Asik and Perk. Perk cant play smallball. Asik can. I don't think Perk worth $ either but Cs get overpaid</p>&mdash; Mitch Howe (@RealMitchHowe) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMitchHowe/status/219585108812902401" data-datetime="2012-07-02T00:15:44+00:00">July 2, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

People complain about watching our constant layup lines to the basket and then complain when Morey actually does something to fix it. Asik is going to help us quite a bit.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Probably more about forcing Chicago to put Noah up on the auction block and see if Orlando is interested in him. Noah lives in Gainesville at least part time. Orlando and Chicago may both be interested in a 3-way deal, perhaps, Scola and Patterson to Chicago, Noah to Orlando along with our other stuff and Dwight to H-Town.

Omer at $23.1 million over the next 3 years makes a lot more sense for Chicago than Noah for almost $40 million over the same time frame.

This move does not preclude a move for Dwight. If we got Dwight in a trade, then Asik at $7.7 million per over the next 3 seasons is a very valuable deal for a team needing a center. Plenty of trades can be made using that contract.