1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

How do the rockets open the 8.5M in cap space they need for Asik to sign the offer sheet on July 11? By my estimation, they would have to waive the non-guaranteed portions of the following contracts to get anywhere near to that number: Fortson, Greg Smith, Livingston, and Leuer. And that still might not be enough.

The cap holds of three first round picks and the Motiejunas cap hold took a big hit on our cap room.

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You should try watching basketball sometime.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Grea move, most people just too close minded to see it yet.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Please add a 3rd - it is ok option...

DD

5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Motiejunas + Asik

Guys, the Twin Towers are back.

3 people like this.
  6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On a restricted free agent you HAVE to overpay. Anything that is 'good value' will be matched. Even if the retaining team only plans to trade the 'asset' later. Dawson pointed this out when he was still GM for us.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yea I appreciate your explanation earlier and I do think backloading it is smart from the "match this" point that Morey is throwing at the Bulls. But Asik will most likely be our C for the next 3 years with this contract. That 3rd year would be a tough one for someone else to eat. So I hope Mchale can turn him from a 15 minute a game player into a 35 minute a game player by year 2.

I know you and now Morey like the guy and I'm a Rocket fan so I hope you guys are right.

8. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

A lot of people on this board are apparently subconsciously super confident in Greg Smith....or Camby turning into a robot and playing 30+ a game for the entire season.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ivory towers

2 people like this.
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I like it. What are the chances Chi matches?

11. yxx1218

yxx1218 Member

3rd year 15million... Seems Morey threw the Bulls a problem to deal with. Will they match? Let's see.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

about 350

1 person likes this.
  13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Ya know, for the life of me I can't figure out why you haven't talked to Les Alexander and sold him on, not only your player management philosophy, but your basketball GM skills as a whole. Clearly, you have a plan in place and are ready to successfully execute in the vacuum of have your top-flight GM imagination.

I mean, clearly you have the skillset to be a successful NCAA basketball coach, but you chose not to pursue that out of sheer boredom or something. Now is your chance to make your move, save the franchise and sell the owner on something he just doesn't care about.

14. thino

thino Contributing Member

boozer will be amnestied.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a LOT taller than Chuck Hayes. And Chuck's only problem was his height. As long as you have players to pick up the offense, you can get away with a defensive-minded center.

While I'm not ecstatic about Asik, if Morey thinks he fits, I can live with it. I posted this in the other thread, but figure it is relevent here, too. Asik has played 25 minutes or more in a game nine times. In those games he has averaged 6.2 pts. 10.5 rebounds and 2.6 blocks. And the Bulls are 8-1 in those games. If he can progress similarly to Gortat with starters minutes, this could be a success. I am much more optimistic in a player improving his offense than the more instinctive skills of rebounding and blocking shots.

16. HPD

HPD Member

Gold Jerry......

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

i've tried...i just don't understand it. need morey to sit down and explain it to me.

18. logggur

logggur Member

2 people like this.
  19. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Gortat actually had a jumper

20. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

McHale played Scola/Patterson every game practically the entire fourth quarter. He could have drafted Fab Melo or Ezeli for a fourth of the price and probably not missing a whole lot of production.