1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets take Royce White with 16th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Royce White at #16 for the Rockets?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

203 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

They were high on him during the 2011 NBA Draft as the 14th pick. He was the big 12 player of the year.

Royce White is the most unique talent in this draft. Trust me.

2. cod

cod Member

Remember when they sold the story that Patrick Patterson was no.6 on their draft board...

3. Egghead

Egghead Member

16. Houston Rockets. Royce White, Iowa State.

Anyone who tries to compare White to any previous NBA player is doomed to fail. There have been few players at his size, with his strength, with such enormous playmaking ability. White is a powerful rebounder despite being shorter than many he battles for the ball. He is a dazzling passer despite being taller than most with such skill.

If White had more athletic spark, maybe another inch or two of height, maybe a slightly better jumpshot — he’d at least be the No. 2-overall pick in the draft. As it is, his basketball skill is undeniable and he fits in any system.

The one thing White must improve to become a serious NBA player is his shot, starting at the foul line, where he hit 49.8 percent at Iowa State. That’s a waste of too many potential points. White might never shoot well enough to be a fulltime starter, but he’ll be a functional player for any coach willing to accommodate his unusual gifts.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ts-anthony-davis-thomas-robinson-bradley-beal

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am glad the Rockets rolled the dice on somebody who is a physical freak who can actually play and gives a crap. He'll be better than Perry Jones and Drummond.

5. Cyclones

Cyclones Member

He already embarrassed both of them in college. During individual workouts, none of the players picked to go 1-15 on mocks would agree to do one on one drills against him. They knew what would happen.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Feel like he'll be the black Chandler Parsons (f'real). I know everyone here has a mancrush on Parsons but I think he still has to earn his starting SF spot next season.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I would have preferred Zeller but I'm glad that we went for upside.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I find it intriguing that we didn't hold a workout with him. Not too uncommon, but it can also suggest that we might be trying to deal him...

9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Very excited to cheer for a dude with an awesome beard; when was the last time we had a great bearded player?

As for his actual game; seems like he'll be really fun to cheer for and root for into the future, but I'm confident that he's going to get buried so deep on the bench by McHale he'll have splinters in his nostrils. Bad defender, misses free throws and turns the ball over with reckless abandon; I fully expect the guy to not have his 3rd year option get picked up, go to a team like the Spurs and become a 6th man of the year candidate. Little to no faith that he'll be used correctly here.

Not worried about the pre-game anxiety; it clearly doesn't affect his play on the court. Bill Russell would get so worked up before games he ended up vomiting as part of his pregame ritual; he did alright in his career...

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Link plz

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Thank you! The Rockets are not contenders. It is not time. The Rockets have to draft the best player available.

12. Fullcourt

His handles. So sexy.

13. Asian Sensation

Bingo. It's like buying a house without even looking inside.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol i highly doubt this.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

A great post on White by "Cyclones" in the NBA Draft Section of the site, under Royce White, Pg 6 post 114.

I'm sure Morey did his background check, just as he did on D-Mo which people said had motor issues and could not rebound.

16. Fullcourt

mind quoting it?

17. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Here you go

1 person likes this.
  18. cod

cod Member

FIFY.

19. Egghead

Egghead Member

Rockets interviewed him at the combine. Chase Budinger never had a workout or interview with the Rockets when he got traded to Houston on draft night.

20. cod

cod Member

I recall Budinger saying he thought the Rockets hated him in a pre-draft interview because they were grilling him.