1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]NJ woman hit with ball sues Little League player

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Unbelievable that someone would sue a kid for doing nothing but playing the game they love. You go to a baseball game, you need to be paying attention. I've been hit several times over the years - teaching, officiating, playing - by batted balls and errant throws. Sometimes I was not expecting it at all. And I'm just fine. She must be made of glass.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/NJ-woman-hit-with-ball-sues-Little-League-player-3654887.php

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Sometimes people can be disgusting.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

She's gahbage, muff gahbahge!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The insurance should cover spectators too, I suspect they really want to sue the LL...and needed to do this first.

DD

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

there's no crying in baseball....

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The weird thing is if it was a bullpen throw from catcher to pitcher it couldn't have been that hard......

DD

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. It's not like it was Pudge Rodriguez picking off someone at second.

I saw we find this lady, put her on a bus and make fun how fat and ugly she is.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Suing a kid over a misplaced throw, absolutely disgusting. Hope no judge rules in their favor.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So that she becomes a millionaire? :confused:

10. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

This is wrong! This woman needs to be sued by the boys parents for causing unrepairable mental anguish to a child by filing a frivolous lawsuit. The lawyer that is representing the woman needs to be shot.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

People like this should be sent to jail for being idiots

12. Granville

Granville Member

I grew up in Atlanta. I was about 14 and I was with my 12 year old cousin at a Braves game. It was a day game and afterward the Braves gave out Watermelon to the fans on the field.

My cousin helped the workers hand out the watermelon and one of them gave him a baseball. Neither one of us had gloves but we started playing catch on the field. A few times we would let the ball bounce and then chase after it.

We wound up pretty far apart. I had a really good arm. There was actually a cop sitting there watching us throw. I made a throw from pretty close to where the point where Aaron's 714th home run went over the fence in 1974. The throw landed on the third base side near the pitcher's mound and my cousin stepped aside and let it go. It struck a lady sitting on the first base side of home plate.

The next thing I know, my cousin and I were whisked off by the cop who was watching us and second cop who was nearby. There was a jail inside Fulton County Stadium and they took us there. The second cop was claiming that I deliberately tried to hit the lady. The first cop called bull**** and said that he was watching me throw because he thought I had a great arm for a kid. He said it wasn't intentional, just a couple of kids playing.

The Capt came in and told me that they had to hold me to see if the lady was going to press charges. She was in the infirmary inside the stadium getting treated. About a half an hour later, we got a call saying she knew it was an accident and did not want to press charges. I asked to speak to her and apologized to her then thanked her. I'm wondering what would have happened these days. I'm sure the Braves, MLB, my parents and me would have been named in a suit.

As we agreed to when she dropped us off, I called my Mom to come pick up my cousin and me. My Mom asked how was the game and we just shrugged our shoulders and said "ok". I finally told her the real story 30 years later and I think she still wanted to bust my ass over it.

1 person likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Frivolous lawsuits are a problem in the USA. There are too many lawyers and the country is way too litigious in general.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

oh sure. Blame the lawyers.

The kid's the one who overthrew the pitcher.

What if this had been an actual game??????

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Aren't there disclaimers and releases usually printed on the back of tickets or in the stadium somewhere?

16. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Is this true? I hear people say it a lot, but is there any data to back this up? I'm not calling BS, i'm really curious.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. Granville

Granville Member

Yeah but I'm sure they don't cover fans throwing a ball. MLB would probably get sued for us and the lady having been allowed on the field which the lawyers would have claimed caused the injury to happen.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Insulting my country? I'll see you in court.

1 person likes this.
  20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

You go close to a baseball park, you should be held personally liable for any flying balls. Same with a driving range. This is called the law of common sense, but one that apparently doesn't apply to entitled, overweight fatties. The state of American suburbia due to a lack of culture and interest in the purity of life never ceases to amaze me.

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite you, aggressive. My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out." - J. Depp