1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Buls STRONGLY considering trading Luol Deng for Lottery Pick!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ObamaFan, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

http://www.nesn.com/2012/06/report-bulls-willing-to-trade-luol-deng-for-lottery-pick.html

Luol Deng earned his first NBA All-Star selection, played more minutes per game than anyone in the NBA during the regular season and is still just 27. All of that might add up to a ticket out of town.

The Bulls are open to making a trade before the NBA draft, and Deng is the most likely candidate, according to the Arlington Heights Daily Herald.

Chicago is reportedly looking to clear cap space because of luxury tax concerns, and would be willing to deal Deng for a high draft pick. As it stands, the Bulls have $56 million committed to Deng, Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, and Joakim Noah.

The ideal trading partner, as the Daily Herald points out, would be a team with cap space and a team full of young players. Among the college players the Bulls could consider with the addition of a lottery pick would be North Carolina's Harrison Barnes, Duke's Austin Rivers, UConn's Jeremy Lamb or Syracuse's Dion Waiters, although there reportedly is no single target.

There are reportedly other options for the Bulls when it comes to clearing cap space, and the two years and $27.6 million remaining on Deng's contract could make dealing him difficult. However, the latest report at least indicates that the rumors are already swirling in the Windy City, and we may see a roster shakeup before long

Anybody intrested?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I haven't really followed him but it looks like his production kind of slowly declining since 2007, when he was a promising young potential star, till now when he's average at best, wth happened there?

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The obvious choice would be Sacramento.

Portland might be another choice, especially if they think they have a really good shot at Goran Dragic.

Add Goran Dragic and Luol Deng to their starting lineup, and I'd argue they have a playoff contending team.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bulls are desperate to shed salary. Boozer killed them.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pretty much. If only the production equaled the money put in...

6. Kenny536

Kenny536 Member

Yeah this is sad. We love Luol here. Boozer, not so much.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

So... this is why they worked out Harrison Barnes.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

iirc, he was pretty injury-riddled too. I think his shooting hand, or something, was hurt all of last season.

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

If I'm Charlotte, I do it; I'd do ANYTHING!
    If I'm Washington, I do it cuz Nene isn't getting younger.
    If I'm Cleveland, I don't do it, not if it means losing a foundational H. Barnes.
    If I'm Sacramento, I do it and run.
    If I'm PTB, I do it and let Batum go to free up cap space and make a run at Dragic.
    If I'm GSW, I do it and run.
    If I'm Toronto, I do it and run.
    If I'm Detroit, I do it and run. Deng gives perimeter def like Prince used to.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

derrick rose took over as their franchise player

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Would hate to see Lu go.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120617/sports/706179847/

Hard to believe the Bulls would/might take that step back before Houston does or ever will, ha.

12. Mariachi ROCKET

He'll look good in Rocket red. lol

13. what

what Member

The rockets might actually be a good partner. I don't see anybody giving up a super high draft pick for deng.

The grizzlies were offered the 2nd pick in the draft for Rudy, but I don't see charlotte making that same deal for deng.

Deng is a role player. Nothing more.

14. cod

cod Member

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Rockets do not qualify.

Chicago's probably hoping to get Bobcats to bite, but the Raptors are the more likely match. If you're Charlotte, why take Deng at $13M when you could have Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist for less than half the salary?

For this to work, Bulls need a team (1) well under the cap, (2) unlikely to lure any free agents

Washington can't offer any cap relief, so I would cross them off.

I doubt Sacramento would be involved, given how the Maloofs are going to keep the team at bare minimum payroll for the foreseeable future.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Was this confirmed? I question doubt the logic of it (or the 2nd pick for Deng, for that matter).

Charlotte's roster was so bad that they have to literally TRIPLE their # of wins just to have the 2nd worst record in the league. Adding a Rudy Gay or Luol Deng will do what exactly for them? Will they even move up one place in the standings? And what's the point of moving up in the standings now when they are this bad. All it would do is cost them draft positions.

These guys chose tanking and said they want to build the team "the OKC way" (Rich Cho used to work for OKC before the 1 year stint in Portland). OKC tanked for 3 high picks. Charlotte is now deciding they can't tank any more after just 1 season?

Besides, my guess is that Charlotte isn't just going to offer the 2nd pick straight up for one of these third-best-player-on-their-own-team types. They'd want something else thrown in. A pick perhaps or maybe dumping a bad contract (Tyrus Thomas).

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Golden State is the most obvious. Sacramento is a good candidate as well.

Toronto is another one, who can also give quality young players on a smaller salaries back.

While, Chicago is at it, they should try to deal Boozer or amnesty him as well.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So now the legend grows. Last month it was the 4th pick in a last year's lousy draft...this month, it's the 2nd pick in the draft.

Next month it will be the 1st pick in the 1984 Draft.

Thank you hoopsworld.

#18 SamFisher, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  19. joesr

joesr Member

No thx. You talk about Boozer over paid for production. Same goes to Deng. Big contract for something they were hoping he would turn into but never turned.

Rather keep Parsons going. I would Like Batum though :D Wanna 3 way trade?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The bulls are trying to tank next year and get their TD.