1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Professional Basketball Club LLC the anointed good guys?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It seems most people here are rooting for Professional Basketball Club LLC (a.k.a. the Oklahoma City Thunder) as the good guys and against the evil Miami Heat.

Why?

Miami gets labeled the villain because two fo their stars exercised their rights as unrestricted free agents and moved to Miami after their former teams failed to build them a supporting cast in 7 years.

Professional Basketball Club LLC, on the other hand, stole their team from Seattle, tanked for their three main players, and has an owner (Aubrey Mclendon) embroiled in corporate shenanigans and was recently removed as chairman of Chesapeake Energy.

1 person likes this.
  2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Troll thread is troll.

[​IMG]

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

To be honest, I think Miami is the easier team to root for since people don't want them to win by superstars combining forces.

In reality, all of the last 4 teams and even then some have at least three allstars on their teams

Spurs - Duncan, parker, Ginobili
    Celtics - Rondo, Pierce, Garnett
    Heat- wade, lebron Bosh
    Thunder - durant, westbrook, harden, Ibaka (ya he will be)
    Even Indy - Granger, hibbert, west/george
    Lakers - Gasol, Kobe, Bynum

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this works backwards, too.

Troll is thread troll.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

OKC exercised their right to tank. ;) What's wrong with that?!

And Arison is the owner of the cruise line(s) that went full-Titanic "mode".

Ehh?! :p

People hate Miami, so what. People hate OK(C), so what. Why do people care so much about who's hating who or what?

1 person likes this.
  6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not 5, not 6, but 7 years, you mean? You're right, that's all they did. Sigh.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Can't root for either teams.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

One team (possibly) tanked, while the other team had collusion of superstars. I don't see any problems whatsover with that...I rather be in their shoes than rooting for a team/management/fan base who seems love living in perpetual Candy Land (Hyping up Patterson, Morris, and Motiejunas, while dreaming of Dwight Howard and/or Pau Gasol with our two top 6 point guards Lowry/Dragic).

Another summer of cringing...

9. gambingo

gambingo Member

idk about this good vs evil stuff, im just rooting for the team i hate less.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would just like Bats to get a ring. Don't really care about the teams other than that. The not-Rockets will end up taking four games from the other not-Rockets one way or another.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is where the logic train choo choos right off the cliff.

This is a contributing factor, but is far from the only reason people dislike the heat.

Not sure why trolls, announcers, and casual fans alike can't seem to understand why people don't like immature, entitled professionals.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah I don't like tankers, but then you should throw the entire San Antonio regime under the bus too. One season of hardcore tanking netted them 4 championships and something absurd like 20 trips to the playoffs in 21 years.

Why hate on OKC when SAS did it much worse?

13. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Why do people like the Heat?

14. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I wouldn't say OKC (or Seattle at the time) tanked. Yes they blew it all up to get assets because they were not going anywhere with their core. But since when is tanking defined as NOT using your cap space to sign overrated stiff big men to huge contracts who just happen to be available? They were conservative and patient in doling out contracts, and even front-loaded Collison's to clear room for later deals. What's wrong with that?

Golden State tanked this year. San Antonio tanked when they got Duncan. But OKC, in my estimation, just plain started over. They weren't exactly benching their blossoming future superstar in Durant to shave wins to get Westbrook - they just plain sucked at the time.

Miami on the other hand - it's not so much that they did what they did, it's all the arrogance that came with it. The pre-championship celebration, the constant whining & excuses, etc. I agree it's totally unfair how Lebron is constantly under the microscope, but when you talk about yourself in the third person as a global icon, you're kind of inviting it, no?

I was a huge fan of Lebron and was rooting for his Cleveland teams to win a championship (Rockets being a non-factor) because it was so clear that he had the potential to do what no one else has done on a basketball court, and that's what it would have taken for him to achieve a title with those Cleveland teams - who wouldn't want to see that as a fan of the game?

Unfortunately that particular challenge just wasn't for him. Nothing wrong with that in of itself, but you can't have the glory and at the same time run from the challenge. The Decision ruined our chance to see Lebron challenge Jordan's legacy. And as a basketball fan I feel cheated because of it. Of course it simply comes down to a man's choice and no one can begrudge that...but it's also my choice to root against him now :)

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

OKC has mostly likeable players on their roster, and a snake of an owner. The Heat have mostly unlikeable players, but there's nothing particularly wrong with the owner. Overall, this Finals is a worse possible outcome for me -- I don't want the snake of an owner to win, and I don't want the arrogant, unlikeable players to win. But, one will.

Most people go with the likeable players. But, I can't. More than anything, I don't want Bennett to win and be rewarded for his double-dealing. I like Durant fine, but he can go to some other team to win a title. Just so long as the Thunder never ever win. So, I'll take the evildoers coming in to wipe away his title hopes. It'll be like the Assyrian Empire sweeping in to conquer Judah to punish her iniquity.

16. heypartner

I've seen you say you don't like him before. Is it more than just what he did to Seattle...like his private business dealings?

I ask because I'm on the fence about the Seattle move. The Starbucks owner was a douche as well.

One good thing (wrt to the NBA) that we can say about Bennett is he has a long history with the NBA. You could say he was definitely in line to be the next NBA owner. He was a part owner of the Spurs most of the '90s. But the big thing is he organized raising the money (a revenue guarantee of $250m?) to temporarily moved the Hornets to OKC in the aftermath of Katrina. He did pay his dues, literally.

Not sure who screwed Seattle more: Schultz or Bennett. But it wasn't equivalent to Bud Adams who owned the team for years. Everyone should have known that Bennett's intention was to get a team in his hometown, OKC. It is his hometown.

But I agree, it sucks what happened to Seattle. He should not have moved them, but I do think he deserves a team for his past history with the NBA. A new franchise would have been best...or New Orleans.

17. smr6

smr6 Member

It's because people watch basketball to see the players, not the owners. The actions of the owners do not matter to the casual NBA fan.

Not saying I'm cool with the whole Seatle thing, I am just answering your question.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Because OKC is the hot 20 something yoga instructor.

19. heypartner

Who is actually pretty cool, as well.

20. heypartner

btw: I think Cleveland is the high school sweetheart and her boyfriend leaves her for the Cougar (Miami).