1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle isn't over it.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rolyat93, Jun 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

It really sucks having a team stolen from your city. The Oilers leaving Houston killed professional football for me. By far, I was an Oilers fan first and foremost growing up. After they left, I really had no allegiance other than rooting against the Titans. That was about the time I started following the Rockets closely instead of just as a casual fan.

Now as a Seattle resident, I probably root against the Thieves more than any other team in the NBA (kind of in a tie with the Lakers, Heat, and Jazz). I'm lucky that I'm a Rocket fan, and it's just city pride. I didn't have my favorite team lured away from home base. I know so many people here that have given up on basketball. Taking potshots at OKC, Bennett, and Schultz is a fun local pastime.

This is such a depressing Finals for me. The Legion of Doom against the OKC Thieves.

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wouldn't be over it, either. Seattle fans watched 4 or 5 years of mediocre/bad basketball. OKC people watched 1 year of bad basketball, and are now annual contenders. This is like deja vu for me with the Oilers. It would have ripped our hearts out to see the Tennessee Oilers win the Super Bowl, although I'm sure there were some heartbroken fans still rooting for our old team. The Sonics/Thunder are now favorites to win this year, and will likely be favorites for many years to come. I like them, and I wish Kevin Durant the best, but I really feel for those people in Seattle.

But hey, look on the bright side. At least they got to keep their name and colors in case they get another team. *insert rolleyes and "Buck Fud."

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I think this is going to happen in the not too distant future. We've got a guy who's offered to pay most of the costs of an arena without (theoretically no new taxes on locals, just concession and ticket taxes). City council and the mayor are very much on board, and voters seem pretty enthusiastic. Even the no-spending Republicans on the city council are interested but just want an audit done on the numbers and business plan. Our mayor met with Stern today to reiterate that Seattle still wants a team and a pretty solid plan for replacing Key Arena.

I expect all of this to be signed off on by Hansen and city officials by the end of the year. Then Chris Hensen (IT VC guy, made a ton of money with Facebook) can start shopping around for a team and break ground on the new arena as soon he gets one. The Sonics would play in Key Arena until the new one is complete, near the port, Qwest Field, and Safeco Field on land already purchased by Hensen.

Chris Hensen also wants to get an NHL team playing here. That might be stretching the athletic dollars too far. We already have the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders FC (big following), UW football and basketball. Add the Sonics and are there enough fans to support a hockey team with so many other choices?

I keep surveying the league looking for wounded animals without new owners. The Kings are such an enticing choice should the Maloofs have to sell. I'll always root first and foremost for the Rockets, but it would rock to have Clutch City expat Chuck Hayes playing in Seattle. I love Portland, but I look forward to not having to drive down there to see the Rockets live.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

As a Vancouverite, I felt pretty sad when they took away the Sonics. First Stern moved the Grizz, then the Sonics.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I understand not being over it, but i don't understand going against them now. I can't remember really rooting against the Titans until we got the Texans.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Mwahaha. I love it.

They deserve to be sour though.

8. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

This. Cities will soon enough learn the consequences, and realize, it COULD BE THEM. Happened to Vancouver, Charlotte (Hornets; yes, they have the Bobcats, now) and it happened to Seattle.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Houston of all cities knows how it feels. The fans didn't deserve it.

1 person likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Really? I sure did. The thought of Bud Adams hoisting a Lombardi Trophy at a parade in Nashville made me want to vomit. I found it awesome and poetic that they came up one yard short.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can't blame them. I'd be mad too

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Emily Dickinson couldn't have written a sweeter poem than "Bud Comes One Yard Short"

13. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Owners are the worst part of sports.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I'd still give the nod to agents.

15. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

OKC is just too good.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One of my all-time favorite sports memories.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Consequences of what? How is any of this the fans fault?

18. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Though the SuperSonics made the playoffs once in their final six seasons in Seattle, they averaged 13,355 fans per game in the final year at KeyArena, 78 percent of capacity, according to ESPN

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Perhaps it's some sort of karma for the illegal defense schemes that the Sonics thrived on in the 1990s.

1 person likes this.
  20. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think it's more interesting that HOUSTON ROCKETS fans around here are now cheering for the SUPERSONICS/THUNDER? And they did the same for the mavs last year? What's going on around here? These are our rivals! What's next? Cheer for Jazz?

1 person likes this.