1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BEER] Saint Arnold - Homefront IPA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, May 24, 2012.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Found some at the Kroger on 43rd today. Just having the first one and it's really good and for a great cause.

[​IMG]

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2012/0...d-helps-military-families-with-homefront-ipa/

Cheers to Texas’ military families — this Memorial Day and every day.

But Jennifer Cernoch reports that many of those families are struggling. Her group, Operation Homefront of Texas, provides emergency financial support for the families of junior enlisted personnel and wounded troops making the transition back to civilian life. For some, that means a check to the mortgage company. To others, a covered utility bill that keeps the lights and a/c going.

This holiday weekend, Texans can make a special toast to these families with a bottle of Homefront IPA from Saint Arnold Brewing Co. It debuted this week statewide.

The beer is part of the Hops for Heroes program, in which six U.S. craft breweries are making special-release IPAs and donating the profits to Operation Homefront.

The Saint Arnold sales will go to Cernoch’s group.

I picked up a 22-ounce bottle at the Spec’s on Smith for $7.89 and felt good doing so. It’s a drinakble, orangey IPA that supports a good cause.

Pick one up for yourself. I can’t think of a better Memorial Day beverage.

Read more in the following story:

By Ronnie Crocker

Raise a Memorial Day toast to the troops this year — and lend a hand to their families here in Texas at the same time — with a new beer from Saint Arnold Brewing Co.

The Houston craft brewery was invited to join five other beer makers to take part in Hops for Heroes, a national fund-raising effort to benefit Operation Homefront. The breweries each are making a version of Homefront India Pale Ale.

Just in time for the holiday weekend, Saint Arnold began releasing 40,000 bottles from its batch to accounts throughout Texas.

The special-release beer, a flavorful West Coast-style IPA with a distinct orange flavor, is available in 22-ounce bottles that retail for $7.89. All profits go to Operation Homefront of Texas.

Brewery founder Brock Wagner expects he will be able to write a check for more than $100,000 because the majority of the ingredients used in production were donated by suppliers. Distributors also have agreed to donate to the cause.

“We decided that we wanted to make the biggest donation,” Wagner said. He added, by way of explanation, “We are from Texas.”

Saint Arnold’s largest previous donation was an $8,000 gift made last year to the Galveston Historical Foundation in support of the tall ship Elissa, the namesake of Saint Arnold’s year-round IPA.

Jennifer Cernoch, president of Operation Homefront of Texas, said that while her organization is based in San Antonio it helps troops from all of the state’s 16 active military bases and 117 National Guard armories. With a four-person staff, the group provides emergency assistance to troops currently deployed and wounded ones during their transition to civilian life.

Cernoch said the 6-year-old Operation Homefront of Texas has a budget of $2.3 million this year to cover rent or mortgage payments, utility, medical and grocery bills, and other unexpected shortfalls for the families of junior enlisted troops, many of whom fall below the federal poverty standards. She said the charity’s audit shows 95 cents of every dollar raised goes to the military families.

“We want to make sure the lights are on and the mortgage gets paid,” said Cernoch.

At the brewery Thursday morning, Cernoch called Saint Arnold’s participation “a blessing” that will not only raise awareness of the plight of military family but also provide money that will be put to direct use.
    “Their donation, it will keep a roof over somebody’s head,” she said.

The national Operation Homefront organization began in February 2002 in response to the Sept. 11 attacks and the nation’s military response.

The Hops for Heroes program began last year with a collaborative Homefront IPA from Seattle’s Fremont Brewing Co., founded by former Houstonian Matt Lincecum, and the forthcoming Center of the Universe Brewing Co., led by homebrewer and former Seattle Mariners pitcher Chris Ray. The beer was aged with Louisville Slugger bats.

The Saint Arnold beer likewise was aged on the bats, although Wagner said the wood does not impart any flavor. Still, one of the bats currently is being auctioned off on eBay; proceeds will go to Operation Homefront of Texas.

Earlier this month, Saint Arnold drew 40 to 50 volunteers to the brewery to help zest 2,000 oranges to add to the batch.

“The second floor smelled wonderful,” Wagner recalled.

But the combined effort left a more permanent mark on the staffers and volunteers who took part.

“For everybody here to feel that ownership is special,” Wagner said.

ronnie.crocker@chron.com
    twitter.com/rcrocker

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

damn, i was just at kroger.

#2 tmoney1101, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. DKAIII

DKAIII Contributing Member

I picked some up at Spec's and Jones this morning. Saw a bunch at my local HEB and grabbed another one. I quite like it.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I shall pick up some of this "things white people like beer" this Saturday.

I visit the Oak Forest Kroger often.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, another Saint Arnold's beer that is just plain nasty. Poored 3/4 of it in the grass. Thanks god for the bottle of Willett to wash that nasty taste out of my mouth. Done with our local brewery. Disgusting beer.

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I have a lot of respect for you, but have to disagree. I don't think Saint Arnold is great (I drink more Boulevard than SA). I like Homefront. For an IPA, it's tasty.

7. LardLad

LardLad Member

You are acting like a couple of those flowers next to your beer bottle...

8. LonghornFan

Yeah, because I do not like fruity tasting beer and prefer some straight bourbon/whiskey on the rocks over this over rated breweries crap. Makes a lot of sense.

I have given Saint Arnold's so many chances, but every time I am let down. No more.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

i agree with you, with the exception of Endeavor, which is an absolutely top notch DIPA, and as good as any there are outside of the west coast (and a worthy match for them too).

as far as houston craft beers go, there's Endeavor and Southern Star Buried Hatchet, and nothing else stands out, imo.

as for the Homefront...decent. far cry from "disgusting". maybe you just aren't an IPA fan?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I like to drink bourbon/whiskey also while watching Entertainment Tonight.

11. LonghornFan

Shup Kam. I don't have control of the TV until 7.

12. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

My friend bought one tonight while I was at work and rubbed it in my face. Love their dipa... Hope I can find one on Sunday on my day off.

13. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

*****. Yes.

I love St. Arns and I love IPA's even more.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Just bought some. Please don't suck.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm a fan of IPA's so I'll give these a try tonight.

16. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Hopefully its better than Elissa. Which wouldn't be hard to do.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You talking about beer, right?

18. Third eye

Third eye Member

Used to dig their stuff...but after drinking beer world wide saint A is so overrated bc it is a local beer

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It was.. Meh.

20. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was better than.expected... because Kam paid for it.